Home
Posted By: 21 Ruger red recoil pad - 04/19/11
I just purchased my first Ruger No.1 rifle. Kind of an impulse buy but I always wanted one. I thought it was fairly new by its condition but imagine my surprise when Rugers records dept. said it was shipped in December 1976! It has a red recoil pad and my question is what year did they stop using those?
Posted By: El_Numero_Uno Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/19/11
Congratulations! The red pad was replaced by the black pad somewhere in the '92-'93 timeframe. I think it varies over a pretty wide serial number range.
You know that you can't have just one! Ruger No.1, that is.
Posted By: rifle Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/19/11
You should also see the "200th Year" mark on the barrel!These normanly have some good wood...
Posted By: 21 Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/19/11
Thank you for the replies! I have a lot to learn about number ones, and did'nt even know it was an older version. No problem, that just makes it better as far as I'm concerned. Hope to shoot it soon, meanwhile I am having fun just handling it.
Posted By: rifle Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/19/11
If you enjoy the #1,buy the book from "El Numero Uno"
a must have....
Posted By: johnfox Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11
Originally Posted by rifle
If you enjoy the #1,buy the book from "El Numero Uno"
a must have....

+1
Posted By: 21 Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11
No 200th year mark on the barrel....The information I found on the internet regarding year of manufacture was 1972. Ruger called me back to say "shipped in December 1976". Could it in fact have sat around that long before shipping? Serial # is 130-39xxx.
Posted By: El_Numero_Uno Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11
A 130-39XXX is not 1972 rifle. The serial# is consistent with a December, 1976 production date.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11

Congratulations on your first No.1.

These guys can probably tell you if the red pad is anchored with flat head screws or Philips. Don't hesitate to ask questions, they will have the answers. Knowledgeable bunch around here.

How about posting some pix?

Jim
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11
Originally Posted by 21
I just purchased my first Ruger No.1 rifle. Kind of an impulse buy but I always wanted one. I thought it was fairly new by its condition but imagine my surprise when Rugers records dept. said it was shipped in December 1976! It has a red recoil pad and my question is what year did they stop using those?

Just as El_Numero_Uno stated, I have owned a No.1 with a 1993 DOB, and it had a red pad.

Caution, Number Ones are addictive!!

If you want to learn about No. 1's, you can't get better reading material than the book suggested above. I believe Lee (El_Numero_Uno) can fix you up with one. Answers a lot of questions.

Pix are a must!!
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11
Have I missed it somewhere? What is it chambered in?
Posted By: gewehrfreund Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11
No Liberty stamp? I wonder if it has been rebarreled.
To reiterate what others have said.......PICS please. This would also clear up a lot of the questions you/we have.
LC
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11
Questions?
Probably more "we" then "you."

Jim
Posted By: 21 Re: Ruger red recoil pad - 04/20/11
I have to learn how to post pics. I seriously doubt this gun has been rebarreled, it appears unfired. One small mark in the checkering possibly from getting bumped in the gun safe??? Makes you wonder if/why its been sitting around this long unused. The barrel has one line with rugers name and address, a pleasant difference from all the writing on the new ones. I'll definately try to get some pics up shortly and again, thanks everyone! Oh, and its a 22-250 by the way.
© 24hourcampfire