Home
Pulled the trigger yesterday and purchased a little Ruger Number 3 in Hornet in excellent condition off of Gunbroker. Paid what I thought was a decent price ($550). Actually bought this to turn into a custom SS down the road in a bit. However that said, I'd like to shoot the little fellow at some Ground Hogs locally this summer. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what factory loads might shoot halfway decent as I understand they can be finicky on accuracy.

PS. My original idea (subject to how well this little fellow shoots) is to turn it into a custom gun in most likely 6.5x55 with an octagonal barrel, new stock, etc. etc.
As the old saying goes, "Don't shoot the donor rifle!" You may not want to convert it.

I would suggest trying some of Hornady's Hornet loads with their 35-grain V-Max. Those usually shoot very well.

But if you end up liking the rifle, handloading can really make it zing. I have a No. 3 Hornet myself. It groups 5 shots of just about anything in an inch or less at 100 yards, but really shines with the 40-grain Ballistic Tip and 13.0 grains of Li'l Gun, grouping into 1/2" to 3/4" at just over 2900 fps.
When I acquired my #3 Hornet, I had much the same idea. However, I liked it as a Hornet too much and it has stayed as is.

I was able to get one of the "special run" 1A's in 6.5x55 from Lipseys, for me it was a good path. For about the same coin as it would have cost me to convert the Hornet, I ended up with a Hornet and a 6.5x55.

Mine also shoots very well, it likes lilgun and Sierra's.
Enjoy, I think it's a nice combo.
I want to get a hornet in a number 3 really bad. or maybe a cadet. either with a heavy barrel to use as a prairie dog rifle to bridge the gap between the .22 lr and .223 smile and to have as an extra in case someone else wants to go with me.
I did find a cadet in 218 bee, might go that route
I have a 7x57 #1 take-off barrel if interested.
Hornady's 35 V-Max is the best factory load I've found so far.
Thanks for the replies. What kind of groups are folks getting with that little Hornady round??
I've gotten 5 shots in an inch or a little less with several Hornets.
I have bought and sold an incredible amount of firearms over my lifetime. And very few that I regret I ever sold. I did sell a Number 3 in 22 Hornet. And that is one of the very few that I regret selling. A very fine rifle. Good luck with it. Tom.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Hornady's 35 V-Max is the best factory load I've found so far.

I haven't tried factory loadings but 35gr VMax bullet handloads are the only thing my #3 shoots well. I use a load simular to the one Mule Deer recommended.

O
I bought 3 Hornets before I found one that wasn't rechambered to K-Hornet. I could never get one of them to shoot with anything I tried. Maybe I need to try some of these new hotshot loads you guys are talking about.
It took years to find the load. I have 8ft of shelf space holding every variation of .22 bullets I came across left over from my experiments. Restocked the gun twice and scoped it twice.

The 35gr Vmax with a max recommended charge of H110 and small pistol primers will now put 5 under an inch and do it at around 3100fps. Simular load also shoots well in my .218 Bee.

O
Mule Deer,

Did you get rid of the 1B Hornet that you included in your list of your top 10 favorite rifles not so long ago? If so, did all the talk here about TOO HEAVY 1Bs convince you to do it?

1B

© 24hourcampfire