Home
I posted some teaser comments in another thread regarding a Browning 1885 I'd had re-barreled to 6.5x55mm. I traded for it late last year when it was then chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum. I do not like that chambering; never have, never will. It generates far too much recoil and burns far too much powder for so little in return. I do, however, like the Browning/Winchester 1885 iterations. I also like the idea of having one chambered in a "classic" round, like the 6.5x55mm or 7x57mm. (I already have a half-a-dozen or so Ruger No. 1s, including two in 7x57mm and wanted something a little different from that perspective as well.) I sent this one to McGowen in Montana in January after speaking to them via telephone about whether they would accept the job and getting a rough estimate for the cost.

I'm happy with the end result thus far, but a couple of items stand out as annoyances worth mentioning. McGowen received the rifle with instructions on 1-24-11, but never sent a firm written estimate or in any way communicated with me until a request for payment last week. (I called them three times requesting an estimate over the past nine months.) The cost had risen from "around $600" to $813.51. Again, this is a VERY MINOR annoyance in my mind, but something to keep in mind should you commission them for any work.

It's also worth noting that they performed everything I asked for in my request (chambering, barrel length, contour, crown, removal of frozen scope mounts, drill for new mounts, finish, etc.), so there's not any real reason to bitch.

I asked them to duplicate the original barrel length, contour, and crown and chamber the 6.5x55mm with a 1 in 8" twist. The barrel is simply marked "6.5 X 55 (8)" with no mention of the maker. The timing of the return is such that it may be a little bit before I'm able to shoot it, but the extractor seems to function as it should with dummy rounds.

For those that enjoy 1885s, consider this a tease until a later date.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bricktop, Thanks for the info on your dealings with McGowen. I wish more people would post about their experiences with companies that do gun work for them. It would help a lot of us make good choices when we have to send stuff out for work. The 6.5x55 Swede is a favorite of mine. I have a Lipseys SS/Walnut K1A that I enjoy a lot.
I have used the McGowan barrels for quite a few customs with EXCELLENT results. They have always treated me well and never over-charged. I agree it might be nice for better communication from lots of custom makers but bear in mind it takes time to call/write and that is time OUT of the machine shop and longer waits for your finished products. Just my .02! I will always try McGowan for my wants first.
Aloha, Mark
Bricktop - thanks for posting this. I like the idea of doing the 1885 in 6.5x55, 7x57 or maybe 257 Roberts. I'll be looking for a field report down the road.

Dave
Bricktop,

Nice looking rifle and an excellent choice of caliber. You get a wider array of comercial rounds and near identical performance to the .260 Browings that now are priced at top dollar -- well over $2400 -- out in inet-land.

The bill does not specify the chamber dimensions. Assume it is standard SAAMI. When I had my #1 Swede built, I wanted it to be on the tight side of the generous allowances in the SAAMI range to optimize use of sleaker 120-140 gr modern bullets rather than the heavier RNs regulary used in the old military bores.

The Browning probably will not need the fiddling that many #1s do to shoot reliable tight groups.

1B

Bricktop,

Nice looking rifle and an excellent choice of caliber. You get a wider array of comercial rounds and near identical performance to the .260 Browings that now are priced at top dollar -- well over $2400 -- out in inet-land.

The bill does not specify the chamber dimensions. Assume it is standard SAAMI. When I had my #1 Swede built, I wanted it to be on the tight side of the generous allowances in the SAAMI range to optimize use of sleaker 120-140 gr modern bullets rather than the heavier RNs regulary used in the old military bores.

The Browning probably will not need the fiddling that many #1s do to shoot reliable tight groups.

1B

Originally Posted by Bricktop
It's also worth noting that they performed everything I asked for in my request (chambering, barrel length, contour, crown, removal of frozen scope mounts, drill for new mounts, finish, etc.), so there's not any real reason to bitch.

Consider yourself fortunate in that regard. If the work had not been performed satisfactorily, then the communication issues would really become a problem. Sadly, I have had that experience more than once. Apparently in these days of electronic communication, stonewalling seems to be a normal business practice for some, especially when the customer is less than happy.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Paul
BT-Well done!
Originally Posted by MP40
I have used the McGowan barrels for quite a few customs with EXCELLENT results. They have always treated me well and never over-charged. I agree it might be nice for better communication from lots of custom makers but bear in mind it takes time to call/write and that is time OUT of the machine shop and longer waits for your finished products. Just my .02! I will always try McGowan for my wants first.
Aloha, Mark
I wanted to be fair in my comments. They absolutely did everything I asked of them and I have zero complaints in that regard. However, I like structure and well-defined goals, plans, boundaries, budgets, etc. And, yes, I know that any time they spend writing or calling is time they're not working on someone's rifle. Except they're in a service provider business and I don't think it's unreasonable to send out an estimate early on in the process. Again, this is all very minor in the grander scheme of things and based on my initial experience, I wouldn't have a problem having them re-barrel another rifle nor would I have any problem recommending them to anyone else.
Originally Posted by Paul39
Consider yourself fortunate in that regard. If the work had not been performed satisfactorily, then the communication issues would really become a problem. Sadly, I have had that experience more than once. Apparently in these days of electronic communication, stonewalling seems to be a normal business practice for some, especially when the customer is less than happy.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Paul
I absolutely agree. If the cost had gone well beyond the "around $600" or the work had turned out poorly, there would be huge recriminations. However, everything worked out, but their casual approach to communications is something to be aware of when dealing with them so that you can plan accordingly.
Exactly. While I understand the "time is money" reasoning, I don't buy it completely. With modern communication like e-mail, there is no good excuse for not initiating reasonable contacts with customers. Time has always been money, but I have in my files correspondence from decades ago from gunsmiths and companies, running a full page or more of hand typing, and even hand written.

More to the point, hassles can be avoided and time saved by clear, concise, and timely communication up front. A professional work order before the work is begun comes to mind.

Paul
I have a strong preference for the same sense of order, structure, budget, etc., with a project and understand that. The rifle looks great and the 8 twist was the way to go IMO.
Thanks for the report.3 un- returned phone calls in 9 months? Beautiful rifle.
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
Thanks for the report.3 un- returned phone calls in 9 months? Beautiful rifle.
No, they answered the phone and they were very courteous and professional in all of my contact with them.
Originally Posted by Paul39
Exactly. While I understand the "time is money" reasoning, I don't buy it completely. With modern communication like e-mail, there is no good excuse for not initiating reasonable contacts with customers. Time has always been money, but I have in my files correspondence from decades ago from gunsmiths and companies, running a full page or more of hand typing, and even hand written.

More to the point, hassles can be avoided and time saved by clear, concise, and timely communication up front. A professional work order before the work is begun comes to mind.

Paul
Why not build whatever time they think they'll spend writing an estimate into the cost? If you really wanted to take it a step further, there're statistical models that can fairly accurately predict the amount of time spent dealing with each customer.
Originally Posted by 1B
Yes, it's standard SAAMI, I just verified.
Very nice!
1885's are simply exquisite. No other rifle matches its slimline appearance. I have one in 300 WSM. Heavy they are & that is why I don't pack it around to hunt with. I sure do admire it on a regualr basis though.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Heavy they are & that is why I don't pack it around to hunt with.
If I was doing a bunch of walking with one, I'd probably not have been as eager to spend the money to re-barrel this. I placed mine on a postal scale this morning, along with the bases, rings, and sling and it weighed in at 9.0 pounds. shocked A Leupold VX-II 3x9 40mm will add another 12 ounces to that. It is, however, well-balanced. crazy

For comparison, I also weighed my Ruger 1B in .257 Roberts with a VX-II 3x9 40mm. This one came in at just a shade over 9 pounds (somewhere between 9.0 and 9.25 pounds).

Right now I'm waiting on new rings before I mount a scope, but I still think it'll be closer to another month before I get it to the range.
Balance in carrying, pointing, and carrying is far more important to me in still hunting than is absolute weight. I'm pushing 70 with some non-trivial health issues, but I can lug a 1B all day in the crook of my left arm while actively hunting and over my shoulder while just covering ground. It swings into battery so slickly it is just like pointing my finger. Lighter still than my M1 was ...

1B
When I bought my first 1885 I was so proud to carry it to the woods I didn't even need a flashlight in the dark.
Wow ! that was an expensive redo. Could have started with a 22-250 and had it rebored/rechambered, barrel set back one turn to 6.5x55 for less than 1/2 of what you paid. Love my 6.5x55s but for all that money could have bought an 1890 in 25-06 that will appreciate. They also have much nicer wood too.
Originally Posted by pipercolt
Wow ! that was an expensive redo. Could have started with a 22-250 and had it rebored/rechambered, barrel set back one turn to 6.5x55 for less than 1/2 of what you paid.
I doubt it. Once you factor in the cost of the host rifle the cost works out about the same. Unlike you, I ran the numbers. A host rifle in .223 or .22-250 would've set me back about $900 plus shipping and transfer (about $945 total) and a re-bore/re-chamber would've run between $400 and $500 with shipping. (That's about $1400 to $1500 for your mathematically-challenged ass.) I have about $675 tied up in this host and $813.51 in the re-barrel and return shipping. That works out to about $1488.51, does it not?
Hmm..... B78 30-06 donor cost $475.00, rebore/rechamber to 35 Whelen $350.00.

Think you got hosed.

Unlike you, I can find quality stuff w/o paying retail. Guess we know who has the "mathematically-challenged ass" don't we ?

You must get in a lot of soda shop fights with your wonderful approach to other folks. laugh

Think you got hosed.

Unlike you, I can find quality stuff w/o paying retail. Guess we know who has the "mathematically-challenged ass" don't we ?

You must get in a lot of soda shop fights with your wonderful approach to other folks. laugh

Get REAL. It's not 1988 anymore.

Most B-78 rifles in small bore calibers run a LOT more than the $475 you paid to some dude's ignorant Widow.

And besides, you WILL NOT get a quality re-bore and rechamber job for $350 these days either.

FWIW, given your smartazzed "contribution" to this thread, you make Bricktop look like Mary Poppins.

Originally Posted by jim62

Think you got hosed.

Get REAL. It's not 1988 anymore.

Most B-78 rifles in small bore calibers run a LOT more than the $475 you paid to some dude's ignorant Widow.

And besides, you WILL NOT get a quality re-bore and rechamber job for $350 these days either.

FWIW, given your smartazzed "contribution" to this thread, you make Bricktop look like Mary Poppins.
He's mad because I got in his ass in a shipping/selling thread in the classifieds.
I have had more than satisfactory rebores/rechambers from Al Siegrist on 5-6 rifles over the past ten years for less than $300. No idea what his current charges are but they usually have run @ the cost of a new Douglas match barrel in the past.

1B
1B you are correct. I have 8 rebored bolt and single shot rifles. None cost more than $350.
As for a B78, the early octagon ones were much better rifles than the 1885. Better wood, better trigger, smoother bores and more accurate.

Here's the folks who did my 06 to 35 Whelen ..... $350.00. The most I have ever paid.

http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwater_reboring/rebore_prices.html

Bricktop has a severe ego problem and, in his eyes, is never wrong. He is best avoided as he has no manners and, of course, is not a Negro. Black folks I know are generally better mannered than a lot of their White counterparts.

As with all "Bricktop threads" crazy this one has run its course, he is right, we are all wrong. Good afternoon. smile

1B you are correct. I have 8 rebored bolt and single shot rifles. None cost more than $350.
As for a B78, the early octagon ones were much better rifles than the 1885. Better wood, better trigger, smoother bores and more accurate.

Here's the folks who did my 06 to 35 Whelen ..... $350.00. The most I have ever paid.

http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwater_reboring/rebore_prices.html

Bricktop has a severe ego problem and, in his eyes, is never wrong. He is best avoided as he has no manners and, of course, is not a Negro. Black folks I know are generally better mannered than a lot of their White counterparts.

As with all "Bricktop threads" crazy this one has run its course, he is right, we are all wrong. Good afternoon. smile
The only ego problems seem to be those you're projecting, little man.

You took issue with a seller from whom you bought an FN a while back and you couldn't help but stink up the room afterwards: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._FN_MAUSER_30_06_Belgium_Del#Post5689635

Then you posted this dimwitted "brilliance" and I called your ass on it: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Selling_a_rifle_on_the_clas#Post5778492

You tried to retaliate and got your ass beat down by other posters: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Selling_a_rifle_on_the_clas#Post5790670

Which brings us to this thread, where your sole purpose for posting seems to be that of a magnanimous dickhead, still intent on retaliating because your dumbass was called out on being, well, a dumbass.

Christ, you still can't even hit the mark, which is why your bitch ass is bowing out. (I doubt what little knowledge you possess about 1885s and B78s could even fill a thimble anyway.) As stated in the shipping thread, don't let the door hit you in the ass.
Small man has nothing to do but pretend he's a minority to allow uncivil behavior and stalk other member's posts.

You really need to get a life, little boy.

The vast majority of members here seem to opine you are an obnoxious azz and that's the way it is.

Attacking the other person is your standard proceedure when the facts don't support your position. You got a good hosing and, as usual, can't admit it.

Quoting LBJ says it all. There are over 50,000 names on the wall thanks to that scumbag, I knew a few dozen while I'm sure you were still in grade school when he started the trend to the mess we are now in.

Finally, I have forgotten more about single shots than your peabrain will ever hold.
I doubt you know the difference between a Sch�tzenfest and a circle jerk and do not have the equipment to engage in either.

Adios wannabe.whistle All done with this thread, blather on, no one is listening. grin
Small man has nothing to do but pretend he's a minority to allow uncivil behavior and stalk other member's posts.

You really need to get a life, little boy.

The vast majority of members here seem to opine you are an obnoxious azz and that's the way it is.

Attacking the other person is your standard proceedure when the facts don't support your position. You got a good hosing and, as usual, can't admit it.

Quoting LBJ says it all. There are over 50,000 names on the wall thanks to that scumbag, I knew a few dozen while I'm sure you were still in grade school when he started the trend to the mess we are now in.

Finally, I have forgotten more about single shots than your peabrain will ever hold.
I doubt you know the difference between a Sch�tzenfest and a circle jerk and do not have the equipment to engage in either.

Adios wannabe.whistle All done with this thread, blather on, no one is listening. grin
As has become your pattern, you still can't hit the mark. I guess that means you have more than one reason to sit and pee. Later, whiner.
That's a great looking rifle in a great cartridge , Bricktop - and a great result!
Cat
Be sure and open your yap all the way, so as to get both of your tiny feet in there Karen.........I mean Larry!

Old [bleep] Lawrence Root (piperkunt, bosslady, oldman1942, etc.) has a multitude of screen names, but can't bump her IQ...priceless!
She's rather adept at lying out of her beotch hole, cannot comprehend (and botches) the most basic of principles and is just another whining [bleep], pissed and mad at the world for the opportunities she just now is figuring out that's she's missed, due to being a lazy piece of shiet harbored up in a shiethole.
Never done a [bleep] thing in her pathetic excuse of a life but dream. She is washed up now (pathetic in itself, as there wasn't much washing to be done) and laments the cruel misfortunes of her life, as she's forced to suffer her last days in the turmoil of having gone so wrong, oh so often.
Enough to cheer the casual observor right the phark up! We are blessed to be fortunate enough to watch that crash.
Very good stuff sugar britches.

Originally Posted by Faethor_Ferenczy
Be sure and open your yap all the way, so as to get both of your tiny feet in there Karen.........I mean Larry!

Old [bleep] Lawrence Root (piperkunt, bosslady, oldman1942, etc.) has a multitude of screen names, but can't bump her IQ...priceless!
She's rather adept at lying out of her beotch hole, cannot comprehend (and botches) the most basic of principles and is just another whining [bleep], pissed and mad at the world for the opportunities she just now is figuring out that's she's missed, due to being a lazy piece of shiet harbored up in a shiethole.
Never done a [bleep] thing in her pathetic excuse of a life but dream. She is washed up now (pathetic in itself, as there wasn't much washing to be done) and laments the cruel misfortunes of her life, as she's forced to suffer her last days in the turmoil of having gone so wrong, oh so often.
Enough to cheer the casual observor right the phark up! We are blessed to be fortunate enough to watch that crash.
Very good stuff sugar britches.
Good God, I was afraid of that. tired
Originally Posted by catnthehat
That's a great looking rifle in a great cartridge , Bricktop - and a great result!
Cat
Thanks! I should have a scope mounted within the next week, though with gun deer season upon us, I'll wait until the seasonally enthusiastic hunters clear the range before I shoot it.

Maybe I should've had some irons put on this. wink
FaethorFerenczy,

Good catch on piper colt. It's definitely Larry. I noticed one of the first posts by piper colt in the classifieds and it sure seemed like the ole douchebag. There were too few posts under his new alias at that time to judge though.

Now I'm certain.

-----------------------

Hey Larry,

Can I be your UBB Buddy? ... Again? laugh
[quote=catnthehat]

Maybe I should've had some irons put on this. wink

Oh, YES!! Irons, express irons from NECG!!
Cat
Bricktop, I think you guys pegged Pipercolt for what he is. I had a rifle for sale in the classifieds. He requested more pics of it and I sent them. To make a long story short, he jerked me around with emails, back and forth for couple of weeks wanting more pics (which I sent)and whining about the price, indicating that if it was lower he would buy the rifle. I lowered the price to him and he said the gun looks great but it was just not what he was looking for. After all of that, I would not sell it to him for any amount of money. When I read the posts in this thread, at first I wasn't going to say anything. Then I figured this guy should be exposed for what he really is.I will definitely stear clear of this guy if he inquires about anything I am selling and would never buy anything he is selling.
Crap, I answered an add on the EE that guy oldman1942 had , a canjar single set for sale.
never heard back from him, asked ig he still had it for sale, then got a "goodiewrench has removed himself from this topic"

Who in blazes is goodiewrench!!
Cat
I answered an add on the EE that guy oldman1942 had...asked if he still had it for sale, then got a "goodiewrench has removed himself from this topic"

Goodiewrench is one of the many aliases that Oldman1942 has used over the times. I am guessing you saw the result of a profile name change.

There are another half dozen names that Larry has used, those are but a couple.

Since I have jumped into this thread--beautiful rifle Bricktop, and in a caliber that is fast becoming a new favorite of mine. I will be clutching a 6.5x55 on our rifle opener this season. Mine will be in a Ruger 1A guise however.

Please keep us updated as you get some rounds through the 1885.
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I answered an add on the EE that guy oldman1942 had...asked if he still had it for sale, then got a "goodiewrench has removed himself from this topic"

Goodiewrench is one of the many aliases that Oldman1942 has used over the times. I am guessing you saw the result of a profile name change.

There are another half dozen names that Larry has used, those are but a couple.
The short, condensed version is there's this jackass named Larry Root who resides in Florida (and also spends time around Pinedale, Wyoming from what I gather). Mr. Root -- and I use the term "Mr." very loosely -- is apparently engaged in the publishing business. His purpose for participating here is to be that of a classic "troll." I don't mean someone with a prickly personality, but someone who is nothing but a disruptive DICKHEAD. He makes Lee24 look like an amateur. He offers no useful data, no witty banter, contributes nothing tangible or intangible, and is about as charming as a leper.

Rick has flat-ass kicked him off here a few times, but Larry doesn't give up; he re-registers with a different name and summarily outs himself within two or three posts. (He masqueraded as his old lady for a little while.) When he was hanging around as "goodiewrench," Rick attempted to merge these different usernames so other members would know with whom they were dealing. That's why Oldman1942's posts became "goodiewrench" and vice-versa.

I've found him to be a minor annoyance until recently, because even I have limits as to what I'm willing to tolerate from misanthropic [bleep].

Keep an eye on a user posting as "redwolves." The registration date is the same as "pipercolt's" and the poster has posted in some of the same threads as pipercolt along with other fluff posts and WTB ads in the classifieds. This seems to be a little more than a coincidence. Let me know if this looks vaguely familiar: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Pitiful_factory_stocks_and_#Post5345567

Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Since I have jumped into this thread--beautiful rifle Bricktop, and in a caliber that is fast becoming a new favorite of mine. I will be clutching a 6.5x55 on our rifle opener this season. Mine will be in a Ruger 1A guise however.

Please keep us updated as you get some rounds through the 1885.
I bought a used Leupold Century 3x9 from the classifieds that's going aboard this rifle along with a new set of "Browning" (made by Burris) bases (missinglink had a killer price on several new sets). I just received an email from Brownell's indicating my Burris Signature rings are on their way, so by the weekend I'll have a scope mounted. (Gun season starts this weekend, so I'm not likely going to use it this year.)

My initial loads are going to be 40.0 grains of AA-4064 behind a Hornady 129-grain SP in Remington brass (I may use some of the Lapua I bought from 65BR instead) with a WLR primer. Accurate's load book indicates a velocity of around 2700 FPS, though I can't recall offhand what their barrel length was. (With a 28-inch tube, I'll try and stick with as slow a powder as I can get.)
Bricktop,
It is the rifle of my dreams.

Tack
WHOA!! You stick him a noitch BELOW lee24??!!
man, you would have to look under a snake's belly to find- oh, never mind, I just remembered who you were talking about!!

You bought a leupold? What, no irons??
Cat
WHOA!! You stick him a noitch BELOW lee24??!!
man, you would have to look under a snake's belly to find- oh, never mind, I just remembered who you were talking about!!

You bought a leupold? What, no irons??
Cat
For whatever reason, I've just never put any serious effort into iron sight setups on my cartridge rifles. I've spent the money on quality handgun sights and sights for my muzzleloaders, but never my cartridge rifles. I need to rethink that and maybe put together a good Rolling Block or High Wall shooter one of these days.
Yup, an acquired taste, for sure!!:>)
Cat
I finally made it to the range to shoot the 6.5x55mm today, though it was late enough (about 3:45 in the P.M.) and every-friggin'-body and their dogs were there, that setting up the chronograph wasn't practical. At any rate, I had 23 rounds of ammo to split between the High Wall and a Ruger 77 I'd had re-barreled a while back as well, so making the most of my time and resources was beaucoup important.

I decided to try a sight-in method that I felt would save a little time: I fired two rounds at 50 yards (they wound up in the same hole), held the rifle steady in my handy Sinclair rest while centering the crosshairs on my aiming point, began to turn the adjustments until the crosshairs centered on the impact point, and then fired two more rounds and voila!

I then moved out to 100 yards and fired two more groups measuring right at 1 inch each. You could say I'm happy with the end result of this project.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Load was the previously mentioned 129 grain Hornady SP in Lapua brass (brass bought from 65BR some time ago) over 40.0 grains of AA-4064 and a Winchester WLR primer. I'm looking forward to developing more loads and hope to see what the rifle can do.

Scope is a Leupold Century Limited Edition 3x9 I bought from crow_sniper, and new bases were supplied by missinglink. Rings are Burris Signature Rings. (VERY NICE!!!) I had a spare sun shade and added it just 'cause.

If you're reading this, Spanokopitas, I want you to keep track of the rounds fired. I'm working on a bullet chronometer/ammunition Hobbs meter and I want to upload the data into that device once patents are filed and production begins. I'm willing to grant you 10% of any profits I receive from my future invention which is being developed at your suggestion. Thanks, dude.
Beautiful rifle!!
But my Good God!! What a gorgeous range. Yuo`ll never know how lucky you are to have such a place! The $%$^&^^ ENVIROPUKES have closed all our ranges with the help of DEQ EPA and on and on. Take care you never lose it.
Aloha, Mark
In [Screwed up] S. Oregon
Bricktop,

Inspired by your re-barrel project(which is clearly on the high road to success), I've decided to re-barrel a Ruger #3 from 375 Win to 25-35.

My #3 will never be a beauty queen(except to me) but I sure hope it shoots.

Will post more as info and progress allow. Right now, Dave Manson is making a 25-35 reamer for me.

Congrats on your rifle.

Steve
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
My #3 will never be a beauty queen(except to me) but I sure hope it shoots.
I don't know, every mama crow thinks her babies are the blackest! I think a .25-35 No. 3 would be pretty damned sweet. I've been kicking around that idea myself and will be excited to hear of your progress.
Bricktop,

This may help you toward your 25-35.

After I use my reamer, it will be free for use by the Fire.

Just pay shipping.

Steve
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Bricktop,

This may help you toward your 25-35.

After I use my reamer, it will be free for use by the Fire.

Just pay shipping.

Steve
Ha! I would love to, but I've already got too many irons in the fire for 2012. I'm sending off a left-handed Model 70 next week to get re-barreled to 7x57mm and I'll be sending off a short action Hawkeye not too long after that to get re-barreled to .257 Roberts. And if my Low Wall in the classifieds doesn't sell, it'll go to Dan Pedersen to become a .250-3000.
Congrats. Do consider trying slower powders like 4350/4831 and RL19/22 based on my experience w/Swede.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Congrats. Do consider trying slower powders like 4350/4831 and RL19/22 based on my experience w/Swede.
4350 is next on the agenda. I have jugs of IMR 4350 and AA 4350 along with about a pound of H4350 that I'll try.
Around 45.5 w/129 or 130 AB......
Went out for another range session today and also managed to chronograph a few rounds, too.

The latest load featured a Hornady 140 grain SP over 43.0 grains of H-4350 in the same Lapua brass with a WLR primer. Overall length was 3.044" or 2.517" as measured from the ogive. (This was about 0.020" short of the throat.) A five-shot group at 100 yards measured 0.831" with an average velocity of 2717 FPS from the 28-inch barrel. An 11-shot string yielded a high velocity of 2726 FPS, a low velocity of 2707 FPS, and an extreme spread of 19.52 FPS with a standard of deviation of 6.55. Ambient temperature was recorded as 54 Deg F from the nearby weather station and there was a north wind gusting up to 17 MPH. (It made it feel a tad chilly.)

I started to shoot the same load through my Ruger 77 in 6.5x55mm for comparison, but the damned sunlight began to fade preventing one of the chronograph screens from picking up the bullet. I did get three shots, however, and the velocity was about 100 FPS slower in the Ruger's 24-inch barrel.
My 24" Mauser got 100fps more than my 21"...IMR4831/120s...fwiw.

You may have a tad more upside if you want it, but I'd be happy w/2700, BCs are high...Congrats!
I doubt I'll try to push the limits of pressure and velocity as much as I'll chase good, practical (and repeatable) accuracy.

I have Hornady 129-, 140-, and 160-grain slugs to try along with some Sierra 140-grain Game Kings. (I wish more conventional "cup and core" manufacturers would embrace the 129-grain 6.5 mm than just Hornady.) No one appears to currently stock any of the Speer 140-grain bullets.
I agree - I ran my 22" K1A at 2700......sub moa all day.
© 24hourcampfire