Home
Posted By: Joe Ruger No.3 - 01/14/13
Have a chance to buy a No.3 chambered in .30-40 that's about 95% for $700. This seems a little high to me but, what are your thoughts on it?
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/14/13
The No: 3 was originally intended to be a cheaper alternative to a #1...

Unfortunately, it seems they have reached CULT status. Nowdays a No: 3 will cost nearly as much as a No: 1. For about $200 more, you can likely find a No: 1-A in .30-40. And it will be a much prettier gun...

GH
Posted By: Joe Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/14/13
Thanks Grasshopper. I was thinking along those same lines. What I am really wanting is a 1-A chambered for .30-30 for a cast bullet shooter but, I haven't been able to uncover one yet. The .30-40 was my second choice.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/14/13
here's one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325939694
Posted By: El_Numero_Uno Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/14/13
GH,
My info on the No.1's in .30/40 Krag is that there was the Cabela's run of 100, I am told. This was with the high polish blue and Circassian walnut stocks. Just over 2 dozen(standard version) were made up last Spring, with cleanup barrels. I think No.1's in .30/40 Krag are going to go a lot higher than $200 more!
Not many .30/30's left now either!
I think the No.3 in the Krag @ $700 is a pretty good deal if that is the caliber the OP wants.
If the OP wants a No.1 in .30/30 or the Krag(I have both versions), drop me a PM. Plan on going to SHOT for rest of week, so will be a week before I can reply.
On your GB link, I can not imagine Halifax Supply selling any new No.1's. They are the highest priced Sellers on GB; and do not use actual photos either. The pics are stock photos.
Try Little Crow in MN; they have a lot of No.1 as competitively priced as any new Ruger seller.
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
GH,
My info on the No.1's in .30/40 Krag is that there was the Cabela's run of 100, I am told. This was with the high polish blue and Circassian walnut stocks. Just over 2 dozen(standard version) were made up last Spring, with cleanup barrels. I think No.1's in .30/40 Krag are going to go a lot higher than $200 more!

oh darn, I might have the prettiest one, too... grin

[Linked Image]
Without a doubt, you have the best looking wood of any of the Cabela's .30/40 Krags that I have seen!!
Nice buck to; where did you take him?
I dropped him near Junction, Tx, a ways off I-10. One shot, 150gr Ballistic tip and he was DRT.

It is a striking piece of Circassian; I recall one of the .45-70 commemoratives that was nearly as good, but it's been a long time. I think I also saw a Cabelas 300 H&H that was very good as well, but I could not swing it at the time.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/14/13
My apologies to the OP and to ENU on mentioning the 1-A in .30-40. I had forgotton that was a limited run for Cabelas. $700 may be a good price for a #3, but it's hard for me to wrap my mind around that concept. Especially since No: 1's are available for the same money. In fact, just today, my buddy brought over two No: 1's for me to sell for him. A .30/06 200th year model 1-B and .300 Win Mag with nice (but scratched) wood... -GH-
Posted By: patberg Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/15/13
I just bought a No.3 hornet, paid more than 700. I would get it if I was you.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/15/13
actually here's another .30-30. Not great wood, but not plain...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326052334

Posted By: stantdm Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/15/13
If I were loking for one $700 wouldn't bother me a bit. The .30-40 is a good cartridge for lower 48 big game and the #3 is a great little carbine. I would take one over a No. 1 A or B in a similar caliber any day.
Posted By: meddybemps Re: Ruger No.3 - 01/16/13
I bought one out of an estate two years ago. I was not expecting much accuracy wise but it turns out it shoots well....and with out any additional tuning or fiddling. Five shot groups are running around an inch to an inch and a half. For the fun of it, I fired a ten shot group with out letting the barrel cool down just to see what would happen. It strung out vertically a bit but still measured just a snit over two inches. I am loading 170 grain Hornady flat noses over a close to max charge of H4350. Fun rifle.
© 24hourcampfire