Home
Posted By: Zs84 Skinner peep sight for ruger no 1 - 02/07/13
Anybody running one of these? Thanks for any insight.
You could also look at the NECG sights for it, they have a Recknagel peep for it, nice unit.
I am familiar with the necg unit, and no gripes with it, but i was just wondering about the skinner sight that's all. I figured somebody on here would have tried one out but apparently not. The "selling points" of the skinner sight are being able to use it as a ghost ring style sight, less bulk and better sight picture. However, with no personal experience one can only postulate.
The NECG has an aperture that you can remove making it have a fine peep or a large that would be similar to a ghost ring IIRC. My only complaint is the mount is part of the adjustment. I would rather have something that is mounted and adjusted separately so that I know the mount is tight and not going to move during use.
I just looked at the New Skinner peep for the No.1, that is a classy looking rig. I like the looks of it better than the NECG. I may need to get one of those.

http://www.skinnersights.com/ruger_firearms_22.html
That sight does look good but, I wonder if it isn't positioned too far forward to be used correctly?
Here's an old thread on them:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Skinner_Peep_Sight_for_Ruger#Post6330796
Joe, it seems to me that the skinner sight is actually a little farther back than the necg sight and those seem to work quite well, once adjusted and dialed in. The one I played with was a pita in that regard, but I am of the you need a 4.5-14x50 scope to kill a deer at 50 yards generation, so what do I know! While surfing the skinner web site I noticed some of there sights had an extremely short sight radius and it was claimed that they work very well.
Son of Gael, thanks for that! Just read the old news. Not sure I am wild about "wiggling for windage".
Not digging the adjustment option either. Can't someone design a positive click adjustment peep for the No.1 like the Williams peep for lever actions?
Non Skinner:
[Linked Image]
RJ, I've admired that sight (and that rifle) more than once in the past, how much machining did it require to put it together?
I used the same gun making machines that the Viet Cong and Mushadin use, hack saw and files. It is a bit tedious and time consuming, but if you want something that you can't find available, you have to make it, or at least assemble it. I brought it up to the people at XS sights and they were not interested in offering something like this at all. Thanks, RJ.
Thanks, I recall another thread or two on it, just wondered if you are a real machinist or an amateur like me.
I am definitely an amateur. In my next life, I plan to get an education and be an engineer. I'm one of those that figure out what I really want to do with my life as it gets closer to the end. I should have listened more to what my father said.
I think we all should have. I used to work on all my rifles and handguns but arthritis has curtailed that entirely.
How about a diferant front site, I dont realy care for the stock one with a peep. I like something a little thicker
© 24hourcampfire