Home
Posted By: 1B Back to the future.. - 03/15/13
About a year ago the constant din of black rifle ads got to me and I decided to take another look at them. I found many new offerings in a wide range of useful calibers, slicker profiles, etc... Anyway I took the plunge and bought one all tricked out. 21st century ready.

I just could not like that rifle. My M1 in basic training evoked more soul. So, at the top of the current market I decided to get rid of it and recoup what I could of the buy-in cost. Straight consignment sale through a local shop. Stoppin by yesterday, I took one look at another rifle there for the same price and made a trade on the spot for that used gun in pristine condition.

I now have a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps "Sporting" Super Deluxe from Traditions. Always wanted one of these and am still in the first blush of buyer's fanaticism. Wonderful gun! 34" octagonal barrel with ladder sight, silver foreend cap, very nice wood, and a tastefully engraved receiver in white sporting elk and buffalo. Stepping back in time 150 years was just what I need. And the MSRP in the latest catalogue -- admittedly NIB, which it is not -- is over $4000.00. The AR package NIB was less than half that.

Yes!

1B

Posted By: dbfuller0311 Re: Back to the future.. - 03/15/13
Nice snag, Pics?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Back to the future.. - 03/15/13
My opinion, you did well.
Posted By: 1B Re: Back to the future.. - 03/15/13
Picts to email addresses requesting via PM. I have never mastered the antics to post them here.

1B
Posted By: GuyM Re: Back to the future.. - 03/15/13
1B, that must be quite a rifle!

Enjoy.

Guy
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: Back to the future.. - 04/20/13
Originally Posted by 1B
Picts to email addresses requesting via PM. I have never mastered the antics to post them here.

1B

That's an order!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1B Re: Back to the future.. - 04/20/13
Even a DI couldn't overcome my hurdles with Photobucket.

Sending me your email ddress will fix that, for you anyway.

1B
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: Back to the future.. - 04/24/13
Helping out the OP with some of his pictures.

The 1874 is nice!! But I can barely avert my eyes from the Lyman. A natural with the tang sight also. That has to be the nicest wood I have seen on one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Back to the future.. - 04/24/13
Congratulations, sir! Well done. grin

Beautiful rifle. We will be looking forward to your next range report.

Ed

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Back to the future.. - 04/24/13
that's the best wood I've ever seen on a Lyman commemorative.
Posted By: Armymark Re: Back to the future.. - 04/24/13
Nice one!
Posted By: 1B Re: Back to the future.. - 04/24/13
The Cenntenial is just for bench shooting. The wood is too nice. The irons are designed for that purpose anway.

The Sharps would be my choice for a buffalo hunt.

A public thanks to Freedumb1 for posting the picts.

1B
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Back to the future.. - 04/24/13
1B, I don't know alot about your new rifle but what caliber is it? I think with my bad eyes for open sights I could use that long sight plane. Really nice rifle.

Mark
Posted By: 1B Re: Back to the future.. - 04/24/13
Both are 45-70s and both will handle the Leverrevolutions.

1B
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Back to the future.. - 04/24/13
The Leverevolution loads shoot well. Not the hottest loads I've ever shot out of my No.1 but they were very accurate and capable of one ragged hole groups at 100yds out of my No.1 45-70 with a Leupy 3x9. My only crank is the brass is a wee bit shorter than most but that isn't a big deal unless you're rolling your own and running +P loads where every bit of case capacity counts. Of course we all know the 45-70 doesn't necessarily need to be going mach one to get a days work done.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Back to the future.. - 04/28/13
Are you going to shoot BP in the Sharps?
Posted By: 1B Re: Back to the future.. - 04/28/13
Probably not. Muzzle loaders have buntr me out -- pun?-- on that pleasure. If I were to do it, it would be with a plainer model.

1B
Posted By: petemi Re: Back to the future.. - 05/03/13
Der ain't nuttin like tradin' a 21st century assault rifle for a nineteenth. I'm a single shot nut and would prefer the Pedersoli. I have and have had quite a few Pedersolis and have never been disappointed. Of course, I'm Italian-American and am slightly biased. I lived there for three years while in the Navy. I like the Italian gun makers. Best of luck with yours.

Pete
© 24hourcampfire