Home
Posted By: JRK Any single shot success? - 10/30/13
The old #1 270 strikes again. Hunted a spot I've have hunted many years and taken many bucks, but haven't hunted for a few years. Hunt lasted about 20 minutes. Boring 130 gr powerpoint, 1 shotDRT. Nice Palouse country buck, well over 200lbs. Not an absolute monster rack, but about as good as you get where I hunt. Did break a couple of tips of tines tumbling down scree and cliffs above river...
and just maybe I figured out how to post a photo...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Any single shot success? - 10/30/13
Congrats ,nice buck
Very nice.

I'm going to try to blood my 1A 30-06 in November. It shoots like a laser so it'll be up to me.

Congrats on a nice buck.

d.
That's a real nice buck. Will be hunting with my .35 Whelen #1 some again this year.
RSI in .243. 3X3 Blacktail/83lbs. hanging at the locker. Nothing to call home about, but it's been one of those seasons where it's just nice to put one in the freezer.
[Linked Image]

Course then there's the "in my face", bragging daughter who put this 3X3 with one eye guard down earlier in the season. He weighted 120 lbs. at the locker. This is a very large buck (body wise) for our area.
[Linked Image]
1885 - Perfect!
Posted By: savage62 Re: Any single shot success? - 11/03/13
Them single shots realy work
Those are some nice deer. Congrats to all!

1885 - That is a real nice blacktail your daughter got, you don't see that nice of one everyday.
Posted By: maddog Re: Any single shot success? - 11/06/13
If .22s count, I've shot 26 squirrels with my H&R Sportster, so far this year. grin

maddog
Posted By: jt402 Re: Any single shot success? - 11/11/13
Wish I had brought one of my single shots to the panhandle with me. SIL called for me to come assist with the cotton harvest this week. ( He was a hand short.) Weather has turned dreary and it must be on the dry side to run the machines.

May have to borrow a rifle and go anyway. I don't know why I do not keep one out here. I leave a shotgun and a .22 here. Might as well leave a rifle also. That would leave room for one more in my safe.

We have some pretty nice WT deer here and the Mule Deer are now within twenty miles or less.

Jack
Posted By: goalie Re: Any single shot success? - 11/11/13
I shot these two with an H&R Handi "Trapper" 44 magnum about 15 seconds apart on Saturday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Worked great with a 240 grain Hornady XTP over Win 296 powder. It helps when the deer only run about 20 yards, then stop and look around so you can reload.....
Posted By: TXBRASS Re: Any single shot success? - 11/12/13
My sons and I:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JRK Re: Any single shot success? - 11/12/13
Took a break to go chase elk after starting thread. Good photos and deer.

It was number two No.1's turn, my 300 win mag, on this trip:

[Linked Image]

makes for an awfully good year. Thinking about fillin the bear tag but that might not sit too well with a certain someone, given the chores that have been waiting...

Congrats to all, Didn't see an entrance/exit wound on your Buck in the very first pic ,prob' a right side entry ? and those 130's seldom exit anyhow >
The No. 1 has struck again. Nothing spectacular, just a WT doe so far. I must stop being picky, season is running out.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I find that Yankees by in large tend to be more ignorant in many things, most especially hunting.

You gotta figure a guy that gets a 9 day season and 1 deer limit likely don't know near as much about killing as guys that kill 10 a season that lasts months.

Never had a problem with a 223 in Alaska, and you can't farther North, West or East.

Posted By: JRK Re: Any single shot success? - 12/04/13
I don't think it exited. However, I am not certain. I have sometimes thought to comment about all of this stuff about giant exit holes, but it occurs to me that I have shockingly become old school and old. We alwasy used to think that a big expanded bullet intact and just under the offside hide was a good thing. I do use bonded and monometal bullets, although seldom for deer, I have shot something more than 40 deer over the yrs, mostly with this 270, also 41 and 44 mag revolvers, 7-30 waters t/c pistol, 30-30, 300 wm (1 with a x, 1 with an accubond), 7mm mag, etc. I have only had 3 deer run off (found em all) so I have never considered the cup and core bullet stayin in the deer a failure....might update sometime, though...
Took a doe this winter with my newest No.1 - a 270 with a custom fiddle back maple stock with carved forend and grip
VERY nice rifle and shoots well also!
Cat
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JRK Re: Any single shot success? - 12/04/13
interesting wood there!
Yes JRK , that old tale about thet bullet under the offside hide did it's job or they wouldn't be skinnin' the thing anyhow ! Probably ran off til it bled out interally .
Before the the current whoop about "controlled expansion " bullets , most 130 grain 270's never exited ,but when they entered the boiler room the devastation was tremendous !
Makes me recall one instance 'bout 50 years back just into dusk
three fat does stepped out (I haven't harvested one in almost that many years)and my Dad said here , "Take my gun and shoot the big one in the middle". Dad's gun was a 270 Weatherby w/130 gr Hornadys factory loaded by Wby factory. The range was all of 250 yds and in those moments just prior to touchin' her off ,it had commenced to snow pretty heavy . taking a good rest I put the crosshairs on her ribs and touched the trigger . Well the rifle jumped so I couldn't tell what happened and Dad apparently blinked from the report and said go on down there and check .
When I got to where they standing, I got quite the surprise : I could still see plainly where the three of them walked out there and stood , the other two had run off , and this big doe lay right on her side , not a bit of any indication that she had even kicked !! The big issue was she laid at least 4 feet to the far side of the tracks they all were standing in, blown sideways 4 feet clearly right out of her tracks . When I opened her up , I saw that the bullet had cut a rib going in , totally destroying the lungs and there was all these little marks on the offside rib cage from fragments . Like I said there was no indication where she had even twitched in her last moments !
Those Hornady 130's were good killers , but you didn't want to hit anything bigger than a rib going in .
Finally switched to using a rifle here in Indiana. Got these two with my No. 1 .460 S&W and handloads. Shot the doe broadside at about 20yds and she ran another 100. Shot the buck at around 80yds and dropped him in his tracks with a frontal shot. I kept the doe for myself and donated the buck to the local food bank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice goin' on your success , Smart move donatin' that Buck away ,Altho nice 'n fat , by the looks of His swollen neck , He was in rut big time ,prob' wouldn't get a fork in the gravy !
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Any single shot success? - 12/05/13
[Linked Image]

7 STW - I've had this rifle a little over a year and this is the first deer I've had a chance to shoot with it. One doe proves very little, but I was impressed. Didn't pace it off but it was far enough that I heard the bullet smack. DRT without a twitch. Plain Jane Sierra 140 gr Pro-Hunter, H1000. I lost my lease last year so have been going on "invites" this season. Was glad to get a shot at anything because time is running out!
Sorry no pics. Took a nice 9pt, spike, and big sow on recent TX trip. #1B in .257Roberts did the deeds!
No pic here either. Got a small buck with a 1A in 303 British. DRT
Posted By: stantdm Re: Any single shot success? - 12/11/13
No pics. Took a 5x4 Whitetail with a .25-06 Browning B78 and 117 Gr. Hornady SSTs loaded to 3000 fps. Distance was only 90 yards.
no pics either, but a 9pt, 8pt, and a doe with a Browning 85 in .45/70.
Here is a pic of a nice buck my son took Thanksgiving morning on our ranch. The missing brow was knocked off in velvet; saw a trail cam pic of him in velvet and it was missing. He had also broke off about 3-4" of his right G2.
Used a No.1 AH in .25-06 with Circassian walnut. Of all the AH's I had, this one was about the nicest.
http://www.classicsportingarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BDN-Buck.jpg
Posted By: mudhen Re: Any single shot success? - 12/13/13
ENU, that is a nice central Texas buck! Very nice rifle, too. Congratulations to your son!
Originally Posted by mudhen
ENU, that is a nice central Texas buck! Very nice rifle, too. Congratulations to your son!

X2 smile

nothin for me yet this year except a doe
from mudhen

X3 From another "one" (grin)
Posted By: Chainsaw Re: Any single shot success? - 12/14/13
Shot this northern Manysodas buck with a H&R 30-30 topper shortened to 20" on the barrel and recrowned. 170 grain Sierra flat nose with LeverEvolution powdered handload with Winchester components. One shot DRT.
[Linked Image]
Proud of my TC ProHunter singleshot

Attached picture 6 Pt (300x225).jpg
Posted By: Chainsaw Re: Any single shot success? - 12/16/13
Originally Posted by Gunnutz79
Proud of my TC ProHunter singleshot

Nice Buck!!
Posted By: selmer Re: Any single shot success? - 12/22/13
TC Encore .260 Rem MGM 17" barrel, Leupold 2.5-8x32mm Handgun scope. 129 gr. Hornady IL with 44 gr. IMR 4350 behind it. First legal deer I saw in almost 30 hours on the stand over 4 days. This is the position I found him in after a 100 yd dash, mouth full of leaves and mud - nosedive. In spite of what it looks like, it's a perfect double lung shot - the blood you see is several inches behind the exit hole.

[Linked Image]
The TC ProHunter 300 win. mag came thru at 210 yds in Alabama.

Attached picture 12-24a (375x500).jpg
Posted By: pacecars Re: Any single shot success? - 12/31/13
I shot this doe in November with my .45-70 Shiloh Sharps 1874 Saddle Rifle shooting
485 gr cast bullet over a case full of black powder

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4.../IMG_20131116_173751_172_zps963c42f7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Any single shot success? - 12/31/13

Here is a good post from one of our favorites. Seems he has been dormant for awhile, but it is almost a single shot...

Originally Posted by BrentD
Nice!

This is my best
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Any single shot success? - 01/07/14
New Years' Day, I was annoyed at not seeing a shooter buck all season. This turkey picked a bad day to walk out...

[Linked Image]

And this buck got caught feeding before the cold front, last Saturday evening...

[Linked Image]

Liberty #1B, .270 win. 130gr Ballistic tips, 60gr Reloader 22 (over book, work up!)
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Any single shot success? - 01/11/14
Ruger #3
6.5X55
24" stainless Pac Nor 8 twist.
120 Nosler Ballistic Tip, 3000fps
2 DMU and 1 Buck license
3 shots, 3 adult deer
1 partial exit

First one I caught looking straight at me and made a quick shot just under the chin. It turned about 5 inches of neck bone into mush. Found a ragged part of the base of the cup under the front of the left backstrap. Maybe 40 yards. DRT

Second one was trotting and loping across an opening about 70yds away. One shot high through the shoulders. Ran about 60 yds. Something exited but found some of the base of the cup when I pulled the guts out.

Third large body angling away. Hit just behind the "pocket" Busted a rib entering, turned the lungs to slush, broke the far front shoulder. About 110 yards away. Ran 60-80 yds. Bullet not found, didn't exit.

Ruger #3 in 6.5 does it. I'm not completely sold on the NBT for it. I may be pushing them too fast because they certainly are disintegrating. May look at Partition, Accubond, or TTSX. Any suggestions? 129grain Hornady has been recommended but I like keeping velocity up at the 3000fps mark.

Thanks

Jim
Posted By: AJD Re: Any single shot success? - 01/12/14
Originally Posted by Rug3
Ruger #3
6.5X55
2 DMU and 1 Buck license
3 shots, 3 adult deer
1 partial exit

First one I caught looking straight at me and made a quick shot just under the chin. It turned about 5 inches of neck bone into mush. Found a ragged part of the base of the cup under the front of the left backstrap. Maybe 40 yards. DRT

Second one was trotting and loping across an opening about 70yds away. One shot high through the shoulders. Ran about 60 yds. Something exited but found some of the base of the cup when I pulled the guts out.

Third large body angling away. Hit just behind the "pocket" Busted a rib entering, turned the lungs to slush, broke the far front shoulder. About 110 yards away. Ran 60-80 yds. Bullet not found, didn't exit.

Ruger #3 in 6.5 does it. I'm not completely sold on the NBT for it. I may be pushing them too fast because they certainly are disintegrating. May look at Partition, Accubond, or TTSX. Any suggestions? 129grain Hornady has been recommended but I like keeping velocity up at the 3000fps mark.

Thanks

Jim

Well done Jim!

I had the same issues with the 120's in the 260 although none travelled that far, all 25yds or less. All shot behind the shoulder.

I'm seriously considering moving to a 25-06 and the 110AB for my deer hunting. Don't know why, it did the job, just like the 25's I suppose.

Posted By: Rug3 Re: Any single shot success? - 01/12/14
AJD

Good to hear from you. The rifle used here is the one you posted pictures of for me. I have never had a rifle that I like as well. It absolutely FITS me.

Jim
Posted By: AJD Re: Any single shot success? - 01/12/14
Jim,

It's good to hear of your success.

It's a fine rifle and I am glad it works so well for you. The #3 is a handy rifle. I like mine and want to make it into something else, but I haven't figured out what yet.

Have you considered the 125 partition?

I've also had good success with the 120CL in the 260. They always hung together and exited. It's not a fancy/sexy bullet, but it always worked for me.

The 130NAB shoots very well out of my 6.5's but I don't see the need for a bonded bullet at those speeds on deer.

I'm thinking a 110-115 NAB in the 6.5 would be a fun deer round...if only.....

AJD
AJD

You would think that three dead deer with three shots could be reason enough for a guy to celebrate. The BTs did their job.

I have a hand full of 125 Partitions loaded up in front of 47 grains of H4350 and they shoot just fine. The BT is the most accurate 5 shot groups of anything I have shot so they went hunting with me this year. Every bullet I have shot has been inside minute of deer lung at 200 yards so the field of opportunity is broad indeed.

I had not even considered the CL. Certainly it has proven a very capable bullet over the years. Thanks for the suggestion. Worth a try.

I agree that a 110-115 NAB in 6.5 would be an outstanding deer dumper.

As I write this the Rem CL becomes increasingly intriguing. Thanks for mentioning it.

Jim
last weekend, 1885 Win in 375 H&H
[Linked Image]
Posted By: selmer Re: Any single shot success? - 01/16/14
Originally Posted by Rug3
Ruger #3
6.5X55
2 DMU and 1 Buck license
3 shots, 3 adult deer
1 partial exit

Thanks

Jim

I'm using the .260 Remington in my SS pistol as well as a Ruger M77 MkII. I'm a big Nosler fan, so I started hunting with the 120 BT the first year. I shot several deer, 50 yds to 300 yds. Too much meat damage for my preference all the way around. So I then tried the 130 AB - less, but still quite a bit. The next year I used 140 gr. Partitions. Much better result. I ended up with some 129 gr. Hornady Interlock bullets on a trade that I decided to load up and see how they shot. Most accurate bullet in both guns, 44 gr. of IMR 4350. I've used that bullet on deer for the last 3 seasons on deer from 75 to 410 yds. It leaves the muzzle at 2825 fps and has performed splendidly on whitetails and mulies. I've only recovered one, and that was this fall, 125 yds and the bullet traveled from the on-side shoulder up through the spinal column in the neck to stop on the skin just below the skull. It still weighed 100 gr and held together after destroying the shoulder ball joint and traveling straight up the spine. I'm not sure of your reasoning behind the 3000 fps mark. The Hornady 129 gr. at 2800 fps is still holding on hair at 325 yds when sighted dead-on at 225. Give it a shot, I bet you'll like it, and you'll ruin less meat.
Posted By: Tamale Re: Any single shot success? - 01/17/14
Ruger No1, 270winchester. Texas Whitetail Deer. December 2013
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Any single shot success? - 01/17/14
Yep,
a 30G in 17HMR w/ full octagon barrel. A 30G in 22 w/ half octagon barrel, a 72 with round barrel, and two 74's w/ round barrels.
I'm working on enough octagon barrels to make all of them octagons.
Eventually they'll make a full set: 22 short, 22LR, 22 Mag, 17Mach2, & 17HMR. I might even make one center-fire for a 25-20 or something.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: Any single shot success? - 01/21/14
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here was a last day muley that I took with my super lightweight No. 1 chambered in 300 WIn Mag. Lasered 475 yards, dropped him in his tracks. 180 Barnes TSX.

It tips the scales all up at just a scosh under 6lbs, minus the "butt buddy". To say it is a violent experience when you touch the trigger is an understatement!
Posted By: pacecars Re: Any single shot success? - 01/23/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TLARbb Re: Any single shot success? - 01/25/14
Nice to see that Sharps in this thread!! Some mighty fine rifles in this thread and nice shooting as well. I miss my No. 1 terribly.

My first post here. From Claiborne parish in north central Louisiana. I currently do not have a medium game single shot centerfire besides the .30-30 carbine that is not mine but I have access to. No scope, open sights.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I hang out on Graybeards and Rimfirecentral and bladeforums under the same user name. You may have seen me around.

EJ
© 24hourcampfire