[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Congrats! that one has some very striking wood smile

I have one of the Cabelas, and it shoots quite well.
That's a purty one! smile

I have a #3 30-40 and it is not quite as good looking as your #1!!
Actually, it is not even close, but it certainly shoots pretty.

I did not know that Ruger was making a #1 30-40.

Enjoy!

Steve

Yes, it was a limited run for Cabelas a couple years ago, with the circassian wood and high polish blue, and there were a few others sold as standard #1A's. In a strong action the .30-40 can be loaded to match the .308.
That' a good looking No. 1, I figured that it had to be a special edition model.

That's a beauty. Did not know that was ever offered in that configuration.
Wow!

DMc
Great looking little rifle. I like that it has attractive wood in the fore-end too.

Should be a fun cartridge to load and use as well.

Regards, Guy
It is a fun cartridge. One MOA is no problem. I found the throat on mine is quite long, and 150 NBT were the lightest bullet that would allow the bullet close to the rifling, and still have a little purchase in the case neck.

[Linked Image]

It has since lost the overly-large scope. On the semi-minus side, I gave my original Krag to an uncle, so none of the Ruger loads would find their way into an old rifle.

I may just put a peep sight on it, and use it on hogs & deer.
Beautiful No.1 30/40 krags. Here is mine

[Linked Image]
There is no doubt that some of those Cabela's 30/40 Krags got as nice of Circassian walnut that was laying around the Ruger Newport Plant. Generally, These 1A 30/40's wood were much better than the Boddington African Series rifles.
Very nice!
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
There is no doubt that some of those Cabela's 30/40 Krags got as nice of Circassian walnut that was laying around the Ruger Newport Plant. Generally, These 1A 30/40's wood were much better than the Boddington African Series rifles.

smile such is the #1 - a medium priced rifle, but sometimes you find them with wood that would be suitable for a H&H or Purdey. Makes the pursuit interesting...
Here's one that had a long and interesting pursuit!
http://www.rugersociety.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=95
Click on the pic and it will go full size, Will not hardly find a No.1 with nicer wood. Appreciate anyone with the skills to bring the pics over to the Campfire and post.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
It is a fun cartridge. One MOA is no problem. I found the throat on mine is quite long, and 150 NBT were the lightest bullet that would allow the bullet close to the rifling, and still have a little purchase in the case neck.

[Linked Image]

Did you experiment with jumping them a bit? I have several 308's that shoot well under MOA for five shot groups with the bullets jumping 1/8" or so.
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
Here's one that had a long and interesting pursuit!
http://www.rugersociety.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=95
Click on the pic and it will go full size, Will not hardly find a No.1 with nicer wood. Appreciate anyone with the skills to bring the pics over to the Campfire and post.

Here you go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a lovely example of an early rifle. I've owned one 4 digit, and seen a bunch of others, but never have handled a 2 or 3 digit. The wood on it appears as well laid out as anyone could want.
Originally Posted by mathman

[Linked Image]

Did you experiment with jumping them a bit? I have several 308's that shoot well under MOA for five shot groups with the bullets jumping 1/8" or so.

No, I only tried working up the Big Game load with 150's, then dropped the deer shown in 2012. It's missing a scope at the moment, but at some point I'll get back on it.

No, I only tried working up the Big Game load with 150's, then dropped the deer shown in 2012. It's missing a scope at the moment, but at some point I'll get back on it.

Or, you could bring it up here and shoot it, maybe leave it here for me to properly wring out for, say, three or four decades. grin

Ed
Or you could shoot it at Quemado, when it's not guarding Hepburns and Sharpses smile

[Linked Image]

smile but let me not burden you with its wringing out smile You are welcome to use the skillet I left at your place, though smile

You are oh, so gracious! grin

I won't make it to Quemado this year. Work interferes. frown

Ed
© 24hourcampfire