Home
Posted By: spotdoctor Accurate Load? - 07/07/14
Hopefully , this is in the right place. Has anyone got an accurate load for a Single Shot 30-30, It's an old Topper 158 model, made by H&R. I looked it up, and it seems to have been made in 1973. Sure don't look like its been shot much. I could not turn it down for $150. I want to load some old 135 grain single shot bullets in it, I was just curious if anybody had hand loaded for this rifle , or similar. Thanks.
Posted By: rod44 Re: Accurate Load? - 07/07/14
Every rifle shoots differntly. You will have to try some different powder amounts and bullets to see what is best in yours.

Also peoples definition of accurate varies from 6 inches at 100 yards to a half and inch. Good luck and have fun doing it!
Posted By: Patrick_James Re: Accurate Load? - 07/07/14
Try the reloading section of this forum. You will get a lot of help
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Accurate Load? - 07/07/14
TAC, Varget, and BLC-2 are some of the modern powders that do well in the .30-30. Lots of others work well, too. Since it's not a lever action, you can also load pointed bullets.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Accurate Load? - 07/08/14
Are you going to use conventional .30-30 bullets? I use pointy 150s and 125 Nosler BTs in my Contender .30-30 AI. I think the 150 Hornady SST designed for the .300 Savage would be perfect. For powder I have used H4895, Varget, and Tac. IMR 3031 would be about perfect if you have any.
Posted By: spotdoctor Re: Accurate Load? - 07/08/14
Thanks, I have plenty of IMR 3031, and The 135 gr pointed bullets. I am gonna give it a whirl.
Posted By: tack Re: Accurate Load? - 08/15/14
If I were you I would use the new Hornady soft point bullets over Varget powder and work up to max for your rifles COAL and velocity.
© 24hourcampfire