Home
I saw him this afternoon at Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville, AL. I asked him about the future for Number Ones. He said they plan on building a few every year, but not many. He was smiling when he told me this. I took that statement to mean..We don't make much or any money off them you better buy one now if you want one.

Well they sure aren't cutting into their profits from the quality of wood they are now supplying on the Number #1's.

At least Cooper makes some effort.

Flyer
If this is true, then used #1's with "nice" wood will only get MORE expensive.

Ol' Bill Ruger must be rollin' over in his grave about now seeing as what the "new guys" at the head of Strum-Ruger are doing to his "baby". Sad... frown
Thunderball: Yikes, on your contention.
Sad if this is to become the case.
Thanks for your information.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Ron_T
If this is true, then used #1's with "nice" wood will only get MORE expensive.

Ol' Bill Ruger must be rollin' over in his grave about now seeing as what the "new guys" at the head of Strum-Ruger are doing to his "baby". Sad... frown

That's the least of why he's spinning in his grave. I think Ruger making scary AR15 "assault rifles" and pistols that hold over 10 rounds would be enough to make him do flips from the grave.
Not really, Reelman...

Bill Ruger loved his own "special rifle"... the #1. It was his "baby" and he designed and built it because he NEEDED and WANTED to design and build it.

Unfortunately, the new "management" at Ruger doesn't have that same "love" for the #1... possibly their "eye" is more on "PROFIT"... not a "dirty 6-letter word" in the world of business.

Jus' my 2�... wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
I think Ruger is probably happy to have a distributor - Cabelas, Davidsons, etc. step up and say yes we'll buy 250 #1's in xxx archaic trendy caliber, and Ruger is happy to make a run of them. And maybe one in ten will have nice wood smirk As far as Ruger risking inventory and making a run, mmmm...not sure that's going to happen in a publicly traded company.

Maybe Nosler might commission a run of #1's in .26 Nosler? That would be okay with me. smile
Any chance you interpeted his words and smile incorrectly?
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Any chance you interpeted his words and smile incorrectly?

Yes
I think the Ruger No. 1 appeals to very small niche of the shooting community. Thinking of the shooters that I know � about 16 � only one had a No. 1 .45-70 and later sold it off when the �novelty� of a single shot faded away.

Also think that accuracy is something that goes against the No. 1. Seems to me that the No. 1 is � as Ned Roberts would say � not noted for its �gilt edge� accuracy. Otherwise I believe might see more of them on the shooting ranges.

Sooner or later everyone who desires one will have they want and the demand will dry up or quickly taper off. Witness the M94 Winchester, the Browning Black Powder Cartridge Rifle, and the Ruger Ol� Army.

My SWAG (Scientific Wilds Arsed Guess) is that Ruger will continue the No.1 in standard and not standard/obsolete calibres, but in limited runs to dealers like Lipsey. Ruger collectors and those who prefer certain calibres in a single shot will buy them. And something else to think about: a company cannot stay in business and still make what does not sell in large numbers but in some instances limited number or small runs usually sell to the enthusiasts.

A No. 1 S .45-70 recently followed me home from Cabela�s. A .303 British might be hard to refuse also. But then again, I do have a preference for single shot rifles and the .45 calibre rifle rounds�.
I once thought I would get two No. 1 RSI's if they ever came out in .257 Roberts.
One to shoot and one to keep new in box.
They did come out and the wood was so bad I was turned off.
Instead I got a 1980's No. 1 RSI in .243.
This is a gun I don't need that I enjoyy owning and shooting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Not really, Reelman...

Bill Ruger loved his own "special rifle"... the #1. It was his "baby" and he designed and built it because he NEEDED and WANTED to design and build it.

Unfortunately, the new "management" at Ruger doesn't have that same "love" for the #1... possibly their "eye" is more on "PROFIT"... not a "dirty 6-letter word" in the world of business.

Jus' my 2�... wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Without the 6 letter word profit Ruger would not be in business. I believe Bill Ruger was a very good business man and the #1 came out at the perfect time for a single shot rifle but like others have said the novelty has long ago worn off. If the #1's were still popular and selling good Ruger would be making them. A company doesn't discontinue something because there is to much demand for it and they're making to much money on it!

25 years ago you cold walk into a store and see 3 or 4 #1's on the rack, and maybe even a #3 for good measure, but now if you did that they would sit on the rack and never sell. Other than a couple people who collect them there isn't much interest in them.

I've had a couple #1's and like someone else said the accuracy was not that great, in fact it was just mediocre.
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
I once thought I would get two No. 1 RSI's if they ever came out in .257 Roberts.
One to shoot and one to keep new in box.
They did come out and the wood was so bad I was turned off.
Instead I got a 1980's No. 1 RSI in .243.
This is a gun I don't need that I enjoyy owning and shooting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now that is nice, lovely.

Cheers, Chris
Number ones, however you view them on their own merits as a shooter, simply have their own cachet--a value over and above that which we place on a firearm for its performance. Christina Aguilera may not be much in the kitchen, but sure would look good on your arm---or anywhere else.
IMHO if Ruger continues to produce the #1 variations such as the RSI, 1AH, 1V, and 1S in interesting calibers they will continue to sell out.

These variations were never in alot of different cartridges, example for years the RSI was only available in .243, 7x57, .270 and 30.06.

What's not to like about a RSI in 25-3000, 6.5x55, 7-08, 30-30, 338 Fed 348, 35 Rem , 358 Win , etc:

Flyer
Ruger probably has it right - niche rifle for a niche market. I also seem to have at least one in the safe.
I have wanted a Ruger #1 since I was a kid back in the 70's this year I finely got myself 2 of them. 338 Win Mag #1B and a 257 Roberts #1B. Now I am looking for one in 280 Remington.
If the market is indeed that small why do I see so many Browning and Winchester falling blocks?
The quality of workmanship on the Number One has declined over the years. Still, I like the rifle and own one myself. I think Ruger should simply build the 1B and the 1A in appropriate chamberings and let it go at that. Try to improve quality. GD
Funny, I haven't seen a decline in workmanship. To what are you referring? Wood quality has retreated, but that is no reflection on how its put together.
The stock shape has changed in subtle ways over the years and not for the better. Grip size is greater and the area behind the grip not as well shaped. Checkering, which now appears to be done by CNC machinery, is not as well executed as on early models. The forearms are a bit clunky in profile in comparison with the early models. The breech block fit is looser and the face of the block is often not square to the bore. The levers almost always rattle when the action is closed and the breechblock is often not taken all the way to the top of it's travel which results in a low firing pin strike. Polishing is poorly executed with screw holes being dished and flat surfaces rounded off at the edges. Safety levers stand way proud on the tang and interfere with ejection.
There is a marked difference between a 1970 model, a 1980 model and a 2010 model with the decline being easy to see.
The same sort of thing was evident in the Model 77's. Stock shape was the first thing to suffer and todays Hawkeyes are horrid. GD
I have 70's and later models. I'm just not seeing what you're saying on mine, apparently I got lucky. The safety, I agree, has always been in the way of ejecting cases.
"If the market is indeed that small why do I see so many Browning and Winchester falling blocks?"
--hairtrigger

Consider this, if there is such a demand, why does not Browning still market them? The Browning/Miroku M18985 clone is not listed on the Browning web site.

The Winchester web site shows a few Winchester/Miroku M1885 clones. However, these are identified as "SHOT Show Specials".

According to the Winchester web site SHOT SHOW Specials the are "...non-cataloged firearms being produced in limited quantities that were introduced at the most recent SHOT Show."(Italics added: rcN) A potential purchaser is also advised that these rifle have very limited distribution.
Tsk... tsk.. tsk.. such controversy over what has to be one of the (if not "THE") sweetest looking, American-made rifles ever produced.

I "love" my RSI in 7x57... it looks like a "classic", the caliber is a "classic"... and, IMHO, it IS a "classic" rifle. It's my "show-off" rifle that makes my friends "catch-their-breath" when I get it outta the gun-safe... and it "tickles" me when I see the "look" on their faces and the hushed awe in their voices when I let 'em hold my "baby" and "feel" that Keplinger single-set trigger's light "pull" when "set". grin

It's a true rifleman's rifle... that's for sure !!!

Ok... 'nuff said... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
I have 5 #1's and two #3's.

And that is clearly not enough.

I hope Ruger keeps them coming.

Steve
11 of them here - when my .218 Bee arrives, that will be an even dozen.

The #1 complaint about #1's is accuracy, but the black pad rifles seem to be generally unfussy. And even the huumble, plasticky stocked Ruger Americans have a reputation for shooting well. I think Ruger has realized that accuracy sells smile

Hopefully they will continue to put good barrels and occasionally nice wood on #1's. smile
+1 on the nice wood, it would be nice to win the lottery on the new offerings once in a while.
Originally Posted by Flyer01
+1 on the nice wood, it would be nice to win the lottery on the new offerings once in a while.

I bought a 1984 to get nice, but not spectacular, wood:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire