Posted By: ready_on_the_right CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/05/15
$989

A 1-S

Mike
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/05/15
Problem is they won't open the box and let you see the wood
I tried to buy a 1A in .243 last week and they refused
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/05/15
Hmm, wonder what would happen if you asked nicely to just pick the best looking one ans send it?

I've only bought 1-2 guns from them but they weren't lookers.

Mike
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/06/15
They won't do it
In bought a Sauer Guerini over under from them a couple years back but didn't ask them to see it .
Posted By: mudhen Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/06/15
Bought this one. unfired, here on the campfire. Wood is nothing to write home about, but it kills elk with 250 ABs:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/06/15
That's pretty good wood and a nice elk
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/07/15
Yeppers!

I'd be happy with the wood, rifle and that elk!
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Yeppers!

I'd be happy with the wood, rifle and that elk!

That's exhibition grade wood compared to the hunk of leftover telephone pole they used to stock my 9.3. It is easily the plainest wood on any of my No. 1's. Shoots good though so I ain't bitchin' too much...
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/07/15
Why should one expect to choose the wood. I understand the desire to inspect, but if there are ten guns being sold to ten people, why should you get the first choice for the same money. Now if you pay a premium that is different.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/07/15
Because I ordered before them
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Why should one expect to choose the wood. I understand the desire to inspect, but if there are ten guns being sold to ten people, why should you get the first choice for the same money. Now if you pay a premium that is different.

You don't buy Ruger #1's...you hunt for them grin
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/07/15
Yup
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I don't expect it, but have paid more for hand select before and if they mind they will tell you! Never hurts to ask.

Mike
Posted By: Clarkm Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/08/15
I was subscribing to Shotgun news in 1994 and decades forward. CDNN was about the biggest advertiser. That was before there was much of an internet.

I learning not to trust CDNN ads for availability. They mostly did not have what was in the ads.

They were years ahead of other suppliers, everything is out of stock now.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/08/15
You can check inventory on there Websight nowadays. If you select the item, and it's not in stock, it will let you know. Of course, you've got to register and create your account, first. And NO, they won't hand select for wood no matter how much you beg.
Posted By: ringworm Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/11/15
That's odd. Back when they closed out GSI Steyr stock I had a clerk, Marshall, go through and pick a a bunch of test targets and email them to me to pick which ones I wanted.
Ended up with three one holders.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/12/15
Marshall is no longer there. I use to buy quite a bit from him. He's a good guy. He's now running a local Pawn Shop, here in town.
Posted By: 4sixteen Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/13/15
Recently acquired this here No.1 rifle in 9.3x74R. The stock isn't fancy but I've wanted a No.1 rifle in this caliber since it was first introduced.

Developing loads for this caliber is interesting. I can safely exceed with my rifle the maximum load listed in Barnes #3 Reloading manual for H4350 and 286gr bullets (actually loading 285gr RN PRVI bullets).

I suppose the load data is for typical break action rifles that operate at pressures well below what the No.1 rifle can safely handle.

No apparent signs of excessive pressure (like cratered primers or sticky extraction) at a chronographed muzzle velocity of 2300 fps cool -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 02/13/15
Mine isn't fancy in the wood either…

[Linked Image]

I bought it off a member here (Timberline) who is now departed and it is one of my favorite #1s, a very nice handling rifle. The long sleek, rimmed case is ideally suited for hunting with a scoped single shot.

We had a chance to give it a go before it's former owner (Timberline/Bill Krenz) passed away.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 03/19/15
Down to $799 on today's e-mail!!

Mike
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 03/19/15
I always loved that photo Klik. And the story that Bill posted with that rifle on his antelope hunt was great. Bill had an amazing way with the camera and his stories. I hated to hear he passed. But his story did make me yearn for one of these rifles. May have to see what the account can handle... grin

Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Mine isn't fancy in the wood either…

[Linked Image]

I bought it off a member here (Timberline) who is now departed and it is one of my favorite #1s, a very nice handling rifle. The long sleek, rimmed case is ideally suited for hunting with a scoped single shot.

We had a chance to give it a go before it's former owner (Timberline/Bill Krenz) passed away.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Bill Poole Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 03/23/15
back up to $999

It was at $899 when I first noticed then it a few weeks ago (upon reading the posting in this thread) I procrastinated, it went back to $999, uggghhh, (i had picked up a bunch of Norma brass at an estate sale a few years ago thinking I'd by one some time....) so I checked every day until it went to $799, ordered it right then, should arrive at my dealer's this week.

so if the pattern holds, in 2 or 3 weeks they should drop it to $699, then back to $999, then $599 then back to $999 etc, until they all sell...

I don't think there's enough money left in the 2015 budget to buy that 6.5x55 RSI this year.... frown

Poole
Posted By: Bill Poole Re: CDNN--9.3X74 - 03/25/15
My dealer called to say that the brown truck from lumber liquidators arrived...

[Linked Image]

seems as nice as other #1 rifles, wood is plain, just a bit of figure, one tiny twig knot maybe, on the right side of the buttstock.

and Graf's has dies and even ammo available...

and I think I mighta been drawn for elk this year!

Poole
© 24hourcampfire