Home
Posted By: jstamper No. 1A .257 Roberts SS/walnut - 03/06/15
A local guy has one, someone please tell me not to buy it...

Seriously, what are they worth? I don't want to put much more $$ in one than I could reasonably hope to get out of it should I decide not to keep it. I have always wanted a .257 or 6.5x55 No. 1, so I expect to keep it.

It has decent (not spectacular) wood with some curl, one handling mark (dent,not scratch) on the forearm.

He is asking $850, and seems pretty firm.
please do not buy it.

where did you say this was, again?

smirk
LOL...

So I gather it's worth it?
No. 1's just don't move well around here, at least not the ones I have tried to trade/sell in the past. I just want to make sure I don't get stuck with it just in case I get a wild hair and try to get rid of it.
That was a Lipsey's special from a little while back if I remember correctly. I would say it is definitely worth $850. I haven't seen one of those on Gunbroker in a long time but you should take a look anyway just to see what some of them are bringing right now. May just convince you to go make a withdrawal from the bank.

I missed the boat on the Lipsey K1A's in 6.5x55 but didn't let their next run of blued 1A 6.5x55s get by. It is easily one of my favorite rifles and won't be going anywyere any time soon.
Please buy it and send it to me.

I"ll try it out and let you know if you spent your money wisely.
The only K1-A 257 I saw on gunbroker was NIB, and has an astronomical asking price ($2,300), so was of course unsold.

Could I get $1,000 out of this one if I decided to sell it (online)?
Also, anyone have one of these? How do they shoot? I've had 3 k-1's with laminated stocks and they all shot lights-out.
Originally Posted by jstamper
The only K1-A 257 I saw on gunbroker was NIB, and has an astronomical asking price ($2,300), so was of course unsold.

In a word, yes.

I seriously doubt you would have a hard time selling it for $1K...especially if it comes with the box. New models are going for over that currently...one dealer quoted me $1200 for a new 1S and another dealer quoted me $1300+ for a new 1V, both blued with VERY plain walnut. The K1A and the slightly better wood that came on them should easily fetch $1000.
Just buy it. I have a K1A in 6.5x55. Look on GB at the prices of #1's that were made in the thousands. $850 is a good price. Worse case you could get your money back.
Thanks for the help, guys.

Now when my wife complains, I can blame y'all.
Posted By: AJD Re: No. 1A .257 Roberts SS/walnut - 03/07/15
Well, you did ask the opinion of the enablers!

I have one of the Lipsey's 257R in 1A (blued model), it is one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with this.

Good luck.

I have one of the stainless No. 1A's in .257 Roberts. Gorgeous little rifle and it came with decent wood.

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here it is...

It may have been shot as few as 16 times.

I made the mistake at handling a Kimber 84L SS Classic Select in 280AI in a LGS today, I might be putting this K1 up for trade to see if one of those Kimbers pops up out of the grass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Screws the Kimber keep that beauty!
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

My 5 year old son saw it and asked if he could have it when he grows up. It isn't going anywhere!
Posted By: PVT Re: No. 1A .257 Roberts SS/walnut - 03/14/15
Beautiful. Congratulations. Looking forward to the range report.
Anyone have any recommendations for powders/bullets to start working with?
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

My 5 year old son saw it and asked if he could have it when he grows up. It isn't going anywhere!
A 5 yr old with smarts and good taste to boot!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=469607131 this just sold on broker for $1950.00 USED!
Wow! That had to be an anomaly, right?

Only 292 made?

I guess I walked into a decent rifle at a pretty good price. I paid $900 out the door.

Blessings,

Steve
What scope is that on yours?

Thanks.

Leupold 3.5-10 with my reticle.

Originally Posted by dogzapper

Only 292 made?

I guess I walked into a decent rifle at a pretty good price. I paid $900 out the door.

Blessings,

Steve

Where do you guys find these deals?! Around here everybody wants $1100 and up for run of the mill #1's.

Oh well, cabelas is trying for $1699.00 for a K1A 250 savage, I want one badly, but not that badly.

Very nice rifle there.
Originally Posted by PVT
Looking forward to the range report.

Well, I'm glad I had witnesses (cause my buddies wouldn't have believed it otherwise), and I'm glad no one offered me a Kimber...

The fellow I bought it from have me two partial boxes of Hornady super performance shells. I shot 5 3-shot, 100yd groups. One was about 1.75", with a called flyer. Two were right around an inch. Then, these two babies, 0.34" & 0.25"
[Linked Image]

I think that's both awfully lucky, and about as good as I can hold with a 9x scope. I'm interested to see what hand loads seated out near the lands do, that always made a big improvement in my other No. 1's. It was very pleasant to shoot, after getting used to the .300 win mag.

I think the round count must be higher than I originally supposed; I assumed the two partial boxes were it, but I took the forearm off and it turns out someone has glass bedded it. Surely they wouldn't have done that and not shot it. The previous owner said the rifle was good for about an inch with factory ammo, I think this wasn't an exaggeration for once.
Originally Posted by yukon375
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=469607131 this just sold on broker for $1950.00 USED!

someone must like plain wood smirk
Originally Posted by ruger438

Only 292 made?

Blessings,

Steve

Where do you guys find these deals?! Around here everybody wants $1100 and up for run of the mill #1's.

Oh well, cabelas is trying for $1699.00 for a K1A 250 savage, I want one badly, but not that badly.

Very nice rifle there.

ruger,

No big magic here. I was just looking for a Ruger Number One in .30-30 and all of those owned by El Number Uno had plain wood. He was great to work with, but at close to 1K I didn't want wood that was uber-plain.

So, I looked locally and could not find a .30-30, but a local dealer, Bud's Guns in Gresham, OR, had a .257 Roberts in stainless. The price was something like $875, plus the state paperwork ... Oregon has no sales tax, so I was a little under $900 out the door.

I'd still rather have one of the incredible Circasian walnut-stocked .30-30s, but I'm darned happy with my .257 Roberts in stainless steel. Haven't fired it yet, but at my age sometimes just looking at something and drooling over it is worth the price.

Blessings,

Steve

I like Kimbers pretty well, but you can buy them all day. That .257 is very special and you'll likely never find another one, especially one that looks that good. And now you also know that it shoots.

Put those silly Kimber notions out of your head, lest you end up posting to the "Seller's Remorse" thread.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Put those silly Kimber notions out of your head, lest you end up posting to the "Seller's Remorse" thread.

I should already be on that thread, with a tack-driving K1-B in 7mm STW. I dodged a bullet this time; the Bob is going nowhere, barring seriously hard times.
Posted By: PVT Re: No. 1A .257 Roberts SS/walnut - 03/16/15
Originally Posted by PVT
Looking forward to the range report.

Well, I'm glad I had witnesses (cause my buddies wouldn't have believed it otherwise), and I'm glad no one offered me a Kimber...

The fellow I bought it from have me two partial boxes of Hornady super performance shells. I shot 5 3-shot, 100yd groups. One was about 1.75", with a called flyer. Two were right around an inch. Then, these two babies, 0.34" & 0.25"
[Linked Image]

I think that's both awfully lucky, and about as good as I can hold with a 9x scope. I'm interested to see what hand loads seated out near the lands do, that always made a big improvement in my other No. 1's. It was very pleasant to shoot, after getting used to the .300 win mag.

I think the round count must be higher than I originally supposed; I assumed the two partial boxes were it, but I took the forearm off and it turns out someone has glass bedded it. Surely they wouldn't have done that and not shot it. The previous owner said the rifle was good for about an inch with factory ammo, I think this wasn't an exaggeration for once.

Good for you. Looks like you have real winner there.

Only 292 made?

Blessings,

Steve

Lipseys says only 253 in the original issue made, 29 of them later in a 'clean up' run by Ruger a few years after the original issue, Keep that little critter as long as you can.

Link to Lipsey's write-up on your rifle:

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-Number-1A-Stainless-Light-Sporter-257-Roberts.aspx

Joe,

Thank you for that addition. It's a fascinating little rifle.

Steve
© 24hourcampfire