Home
Posted By: 10gaugemag 7-30 Waters Encore rifle - 04/29/15
I hope to get an order placed with MGM today on a Waters barrel for my Encore. This will primarily be a woods rifle for deer and pigs. My intial thoughts for bullets are 120 Sierra and Nosler along with 130 Speer SPBT. I will probably shoot a few boxes of factory to break the barrel in and get me a stock of brass. Current powders I have that might work are IMR-4064 and RL15. Any advice or other combinations to try are welcome.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: 7-30 Waters Encore rifle - 06/11/15
I know that this is an old post, but thought I'd answer it anyway. If I had it to do over again, I would pass on the 7-30 Waters. I got a carbine barrel for my contender and while it shoots fine, ammo is nearly impossible to find. I have accumulated a supply of brass and loaded ammo, but it hasn't been easy. For what I have planned for the little rifle, I would have been just as well off with a 30-30 and ammo would have been much easier to find. It is fun to shoot and for a light, low recoil rifle it will get the job done with ease, but the ammo is a pain to find.
Posted By: papat Re: 7-30 Waters Encore rifle - 06/12/15
A very easy round to load for. Mine likes Varget. H335, Re 15 or 748 can be real winners in it too. Enjoy.
I have a Contender Carbine in 7-30 and it is a nice carry rifle. Having said that, I would probably go with a 7-08 in the Encore. As for having trouble finding brass for the Waters, I simply use the Cream of Wheat method of converting .30-30 cases.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 7-30 Waters Encore rifle - 06/13/15
I had a pristeen 94 carbine on layaway a few years back, but even then brass and ammo were very nearly non-existant. I let it go and got something else. The only regret I have is that it would have made a very nice .25/35.

I think EABCO makes brass out of .30/30s, but I dont know how strong it is.
© 24hourcampfire