Home
Posted By: EvilTwin Desireability of a No.1 - 08/01/15
Have a chance to pick up a Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby. Price range?????
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/01/15
ET, what I'd pay would be:

~$850-$900 for plain wood. (but I don't buy plain wood) grin
~$1200-$1300 for exceptional wood (and I have seen a couple of Rigbys that were very nice).

My only gripe about the #1 in Rigby is the D weight barrel, which is like a truck axle and not very well balanced. Then again, if you push it to the limit of the brass, you may want an extra pound!

If you can find a #1 in .450 Nitro, they have C weight barrels, and only weigh about 8 lbs w/o scope smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/02/15
Anddddddddd.....

It kicks like a Mofo!
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/02/15

Originally Posted by ingwe
Anddddddddd.....

It kicks like a Mofo!

No SH1T gringringrin

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/02/15
But not as bad as a .577... smirk

I inherited Dad's .458 #1, which has the same contour barrel, and is a basically the same rifle. It's energetic with full power loads, but tolerable.

Now the Ruger Rigby can take warmer loads than factory, basically you can load it much like a Weatherby. It will kick the same, too. grin

Barnes has a 350gr TTSX, that oughta shoot pretty flat in a Rigby.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/02/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anddddddddd.....

It kicks like a Mofo!

ET has a low CG ..no problemo! grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/02/15
SNORK! laugh
I'm suspecting an Evilgasm is on the way...
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/02/15
A 350 gr gas check stoked by some 4198 would be fun and recoil shouldn't be much more than a LW /06.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/02/15
Hell, get a mold cut and load it up wid BP and use it!
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/02/15
I would suggest getting a 450/400 3" NE #1 instead, the barrel contour is somewhat lighter than that of the 416 Rigby and it makes the gun much livelier, at least in my hands. And there's nothing like showing up at a range full of AR-15 shooters and then levering in 3.5" long shells grin Mine thrived on 400gr Woodleigh softs over 4831, as well as 400gr cast bullets over Hogdon Trail Boss and AA 5744.

To answer your question directly: a 416 Rigby #1 would likely sell for $900-$1100 in my neighborhood, depending on condition. They're desirable, but not ridiculously so.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Hell, get a mold cut and load it up wid BP and use it!

well...you might be the first person to ever do that smile

I have a .375 which has a lovely salt wood stock crazy assuming I ever get it stabilized, I might just have it rebored to .416. It has the C weight barrel and that would leave the weight around 8-8½ lbs w/o scope, which I think would be very fine.

I'll edit to add, the .450/400 can use .41 mag pistol bullets, as can the .405 Winchester
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/06/15
After due consideration, I am NOT going to acquire the gun.. Having 2 Sharps Rifles in 2 superb calibers actually satisfies me. Thanx for the input Gents!!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/06/15
Interesting topic. I am liking the idea of getting a .375 rebored, the more I think about it... grin
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/13/15
You guys expecting trouble, with those cannons?! grin
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/13/15
I've been giving thought on selling mine. A package deal with 12 boxes of Federal premium ammo, one box of fired brass, dies and shell holder. LGS sells that ammo for $215 a box. Any idea what a fair price would be for the package?
Paul B.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/13/15
PJGunner, What # 1 ? What cal. ?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/13/15
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
You guys expecting trouble, with those cannons?! grin

No, the .475 Turnbull and .458 Win mag are for trouble.

Rigbys are for fun. grin

Maybe for all the rhinos they are planning to release in Texas...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/20/15
Here's a decent deal on a .416 Rigby...if like me you are easily swayed by wood

a .416 at Cabelas

Posted By: g5m Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/21/15
That is a pretty rifle.
Posted By: Huntingnut Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/21/15
Originally Posted by g5m
That is a pretty rifle.

Sure is, price ain't all that bad either.
Posted By: jkingrph Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/29/15
Not a #1, but I passed on a .416 CZ in preference to the same gun in.375H&H due to the pretty wood on the .375 and big difference in ammo and brass cost.

I do have #1's I .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag. The .375 seems to recoil harder and faster. One thing about the .458 is the throat is long so I can seat bullets very shallow and actually have used .458 Lott loads with no problems, a few times. Again I did not like the recoil so backed down to lower level .458 Win loads. I actually bought the rifle to try with cast bullets as a modern 45-90 or 45-110 but have had problems with cast bullets keyholeing.
Posted By: EdM Re: Desireability of a No.1 - 08/29/15
I never understood a single shot DG rifle. I am guessing no DG in the future, just a fun blaster?
© 24hourcampfire