Home
Posted By: bcolorado Browning low wall fun... - 08/13/15
Been a bit since I have shot the 45colt low wall.

It seems early this spring the screw in peep sight disappeared. Well last week, early in the morning,sun shining at just the right angle, the peep was seen layin against the wall in my office.

Well, to celebrate took it to therapy today in the national forest. Just happened to still have about thirty rounds of 250xtp over a case full of h110.

Nirvana...

Had a steel plate up the hill and was clanging it with ease.

Oh yeah,

sure do like that little rifle...
Sure does sound like fun!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Browning low wall fun... - 08/13/15
That rifle and a stout Ruger sure would make a nice combo, if you can find a load that shoots well in both of them.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Browning low wall fun... - 08/13/15
The load I had today is pretty close for both the rifle and the handgun and still a bit below max Ruger only load. It is nice they both have the same barrel twist.
I think the low wall would like it if I pushed it a bit faster but then it isn't as much fun in the Ruger grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 08/15/15
One of those is on my long-term gunlust list. Opportunity and finances have yet to align for me.

I would prefer one in .357, which seem to be the rarest on GB, but a .45 makes some sense for me now since I started buying .451 bullets for my ML.

Actually, I think the first one I see when I've got the money will get the nod, regardless of chambering.
Posted By: hclark Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/06/15
Howabout one in 260 Rem? Can't wait for deer season to try it out!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mathman Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/06/15
It'll work. My friend's 260 certainly does.
Posted By: muddy22 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/07/15
HC, NICE WOOD, My Winny Hornet is very plain but I still love it-Muddy
Posted By: fourbore Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/07/15
I have two hi walls and I like them very much. Both have aperture sights. One out of choice and the other out of necessity. If I every were to buy a low wall, it will only be if factory bases are supplied. And, those bases better look more attractive (or low key) than a brick.
I have a low wall .357 I need to get out and do some popping with. Very accurate little rifle..
Originally Posted by fourbore
I have two hi walls and I like them very much. Both have aperture sights. One out of choice and the other out of necessity. If I every were to buy a low wall, it will only be if factory bases are supplied. And, those bases better look more attractive (or low key) than a brick.

The latest version of the Winchester Low Wall is sold with a Talley one piece base and a set of rings.

I put the Talley unit on my Browning Low Wall .260 with the medium rings - but have since switched over to the low rings and like them much better. I'll have to take a picture sometime and show them off.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/09/15
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

The latest version of the Winchester Low Wall is sold with a Talley one piece base and a set of rings.

I put the Talley unit on my Browning Low Wall .260 with the medium rings - but have since switched over to the low rings and like them much better. I'll have to take a picture sometime and show them off.

oh, o. Thank you, I think....
Posted By: hclark Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/09/15
Originally Posted by muddy22
HC, NICE WOOD, My Winny Hornet is very plain but I still love it-Muddy

That Browning wood is nice, the wood on my Winchester Low Wall 6.5x55 is much plainer:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/10/15

I put the Talley unit on my Browning Low Wall .260.....

Talley is the goodest.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/10/15
I found the base on the Winchester site. Very nice, but as an old man on a fixed income, I'd better stick with the clunky old Burris base I've got.

I've had my Hornet since about 2000. Best $695 I ever spent.
Browning .260 with Talley base and low rings.
[Linked Image]
The medium rings worked well, but were higher than I prefer.
The lows suit me much better. Scope is a Leupold 2x7.

The mediums can be for sale, if anyone has a need. $50 + shipping.

BT53
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I found the base on the Winchester site. Very nice, but as an old man on a fixed income, I'd better stick with the clunky old Burris base I've got.

Pappy - call Talley direct and I think you;ll save some money. That's how I purchased mine. BT

A Hornet for $695! Man, those days are gone....!
Posted By: Biebs Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/11/15
Guys, take good care of those 260 Low Walls....they're collector's items now.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/11/15
yep. A .260 with good wood will probably bring above $2k at auction.

I had hoped the 6.5x55 versions would be readily available, but I've never seen one in person.

At some point I'd like to take one and have it rebored to .30-30, which I think would be slick as heck.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/12/15
Browning .260 with Talley base and low rings.
[Linked Image]

BT53

Beautyful! I guess I would like one just like that. Figure the odds. I looked on line and all the 1885s offered are rimfire? Rimfire? That is alot of gun for a 22LR. Lets hope after they manage to sell that stuff, some more caliber appropriate choice become available. Like the idea of 6.5x55 or there abouts. Not many old rimmed cartridges still alive in the power range.

Nice gun &I agree the Talley rings are very nice.
Fourbore: I found this yesterday....

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...00-new-and-unfired-.cfm?gun_id=100596168

I looked a bit for a 6.5x55 and came up empty! I ran into ( or should I say a gentleman on the Fire offered smile ) the .260 and I jumped asap.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/15/15

I looked a bit for a 6.5x55 and came up empty! I ran into ( or should I say a gentleman on the Fire offered smile ) the .260 and I jumped asap.

Thank you. Very nice. This kinda put me on the spot and I was not sure how to reply. I guess, what they say about money and talk and walking my apply here. I really do like this.
Posted By: muddy22 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/15/15
Borrowed a Win. LW LR at a little local shoot last weekend w/tang sight for 50 yd. gong It shot great, I didn't! nice rifle but heavy for bad shoulders.-Muddy

Thank you. Very nice. This kinda put me on the spot and I was not sure how to reply. I guess, what they say about money and talk and walking my apply here. I really do like this.

Fourbore,

I definitely wouldn't feel obligated to jump on this. It's a lot of money and they do show up from time to time for a bit less.

A lot depends on the kind of use you'd have for it. Mines a hunter and has one elk to it's credit now.

If your taste or needs run to the smaller cartridges, there's a lot more movement in the 22 Hornet and 223's.

A great many more were made in the varmint calibers as well and they go for a lot less money. Generally one can be found in the neighborhood - $1,200 to $1,300 used.

BT53

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/20/15
An LGS had four of them and let me pick the best wood. I traded a 77/44 and an FN actioned .257 for the Hornet, maybe the best trade I ever made. The gloss VX-II 3-9 from the FN went on the Hornet. It's never drawn blood, but I have great hopes for some .22 Mag level handloads that should be good for squirrels and turkeys while still zippy enough for foxes and 'yotes n the woods. My standard load is a 40gr Vmax over 11.1gr of H110 using F100 or CCI 500 primers. I haven't had success with LiL Gun yet, but I'm still trying. I also want to try some MP300, but have yet to see any for sale.

Probably the nicest gun I've ever had.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/23/15
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Pappy - call Talley direct and I think you;ll save some money. That's how I purchased mine. BT

A Hornet for $695! Man, those days are gone....!

Did I do ok buying mine for $650 out the door a couple years ago? Admittedly it was used, but didn't have a scratch on it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/23/15
You know you did.
Cheesy,

Wow! You sure did!
I'd love to find a nice used Hornet, too.
I could do a lot of good on the ground squirrels we have here smile
What scope is that? I have a 3x9 Leupold I'm considering mounting on the .260.

BT53
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by bcolorado

It seems early this spring the screw in peep sight disappeared. Well last week, early in the morning,sun shining at just the right angle, the peep was seen layin against the wall in my office.

Well, to celebrate took it to therapy today in the national forest. Just happened to still have about thirty rounds of 250xtp over a case full of h110.

Nirvana...

Oh yeah,

Does Browning have a pressure level limit recommendation for that .45? I just got the special single shot issue of Rifle and Brian Pearce has a bunch of loads for his, but doesn't exceed 20,000 lbs. I thought that was odd for an action that's also chambered in .44 mag, .260 and .243.
Just a WAG, but Brass may be the limiting factor in Brian's load development.

I can't imagine that the new Low Walls aren't capable of running full up SAMMI specs.

SAMMI 45 Colt specs are lower than for the 44 mag, however.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/29/15
Modern .45 Colt brass is as strong as any, actually thicker than .44 mag.
Pearce used Starline, which is excellent stuff.

Data for .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks and Contenders usually goes to 30k or so.

The weak brass story dates back to balloon-head cases, not made in decades.
Yup, so there you go....

I guess you'd have to ask Brian why he kept'er down.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/29/15
One issue might be recoil. IIRC the Low Wall Traditional Hunters have the same crescent butt plate as the larger ones. With that rifle being fairly light, and the butt plate, a stout .45 Colt load might get a little punchy.

Posted By: RelodR Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/30/15
SO TRUE- I had a 44mag low wall rebarreled to 50AE. Shooting heavy cast at low speed is fun. Shooting full house speer jacketed at max speed is painful with that cresent butt plate!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/30/15
Good point. As a survivor of a B78 .45/70 equipped with the tomahwk-like steel butplate, I can sympathize. 250gr XTPs or Deep Curls would likely work okay on deer even at 1200-1300.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Browning low wall fun... - 09/30/15
grin Winchester made a few (I heard 120) Traditional Hunters in .50-90. 600-700 grain bullets - the same sharp buttplate crazy I haven't bought one.

I personally think Miroku figured they'd discourage heavy loads in their rifles, with the sharp buttplates grin
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning low wall fun... - 10/01/15
Well it certainly discouraged me, practically into physical therapy.
Posted By: Nrut Re: Browning low wall fun... - 10/01/15
I have a LW in .45 Colt and have shot some of Paco Kellys fire wall loads with heavy cast..

It is very easy to address the crescent butt plate issue..

Just duct tape blue foam to the butt plate and cover with a leather lace on butt pad/cover..

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Search.aspx?TERM=Butt%20covers
I ran into the same issue while using traditional black powder rifles for deer hunting. The crescent butt plate would beat me to death!!

I switched to a Knight rifle with the rifle/shotgun style butt and never looked back.....
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Browning low wall fun... - 10/01/15
The crescent butt plate hasn't been an issue with the 45colt even with "Ruger only" loads.
Sure wouldn't like it much if it had any more kick though.
Originally Posted by bcolorado

Nirvana...

Oh yeah,

My .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy with 26" bbl really likes 300 gr. (cast or jacketed) over a full house load of 4227.

Your .45 Colt may like it, too...

DF
© 24hourcampfire