Home
Posted By: saddlering Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
Hi anyone have a #3 shooter thinking about a 375 win. but might go with another big bore.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
If was to buy a Number 3 it would be in the 375 Win or 30-40 Krag
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
If I were to get a #3, it would be in .223.
The #3 doesn't handle recoil too comfortably.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
If I were to get a #3, it would be in .223.
The #3 doesn't handle recoil too comfortably.

Especially with the trigger guard shape. Knuckles will pay for it. I had a .223 that shot really well, but I traded it because of the clunkiness and the odd trigger guard shape. I wish I had kept it and replaced the wood with #1 wood and had a smith to reshape the trigger guard. Then I would have called it a Ruger #2.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
I fired one in .45-70 with normal pressure factory rounds, it didn't kick too hard; I wouldn't care to touch off any of the higher pressure stuff in one.

Mine is a .22 Hornet btw.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
The Ruger # 3 in 30.40 is the cat's ass for deer. Recoil with 150 grain bullets is no problem.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
Iv had 2 in 45-70 one shot great the other not so good, and have gotten rid of all my 45-70 stuff, looking for something new to fool with 375 or the 30-40
Posted By: stantdm Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
Once in awhile I use a No. 3 .45-70 out of a tree stand for whitetail deer. I like it and the recoil with trapdoor pressure loads is fine. Heavier loads are okay but you don't see much improvement in killing power at short range, say out to 100 yards.

Never had an issue with the trigger guard cocking lever shape as I am usually wearing a glove and just put three fingers over the rear part of the guard.

Your choice of the .375 would be a good one but I think the .30-40 would be even better.
Posted By: Barryt Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
I have one in the .375 Win, excellent accuracy, and recoil is no problem, ......has taken both deer and moose!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/19/15
I had a #3 in 30-40 Krag and thought that the shape of the stock and lever made it uncomfortable to shoot.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/24/15
My local gun shop had a Quaker Oatmeal can sitting in the corner and the shop owner told me that it had Ruger #3 parts in it. Someone had attempted to build a 1.5 inch .308 and ovaled the barrel chambering which was also sitting separately in the corner with some hacked up aftermarket wood. We dumped all the parts the counter and counted them. I went home and looked up the number of parts on a schematic. Looked like they were all there so I bought parts, barrel, wood, and the Oatmeal box.

Spent about five years whittling stock into Number One style and forend into my own design, rechambering to 30-284 to swallow up the oval, assembling, mounting Kepplinger single set trigger, and a few other things. Later I sent it to Pac Nor and had them install a 24 inch stainless 6.5X55 barrel Ruger of 1A contour. LOVE IT!

The 30-284 was a bit sassy to shoot when loaded to the max but the 6.5X55 is a dream to shoot.

It's more accurate than I and felt recoil very light. 6.8 pounds with carry strap, Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x-36mm mounted in Leupold Dovetail rings, home made bases, one Lapua brass loaded with 47gr H4350 and 120 Barnes TTSX.

Deadly Deer Dumper!

Rug3...
Posted By: saddlering Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/24/15
NICE! Im a fan of the 6.5x55 im thinking you have a real Deer killing Machine!
Posted By: Full3r Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/24/15
I have a Number 3 in 44 magnum, have only shot about 100 rounds through it, so far it a great shooter. im thinking it make a nice woods gun with the leupold 1-4 on it.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/24/15
I had a 45-70 and with heavy loads it would knock your ball cap off your head.
The butt plate was not much help.
Smaller caliber would be much more fun.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 11/25/15
My #3 shooter is a .45-70 Govt.

When I was looking for a pre-owned #3, there seemed to be a few more #3s in .45-70 Govts (hands on 5-6) than in .375 Win (none). Probably a good reason for that. Since I handload, I can make .45-70G ammo to any level of power I feel comfortable shooting in an itty-bitty carbine-ish rifle. It has worked out for me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/01/15
Originally Posted by carbon12
My #3 shooter is a .45-70 Govt.

When I was looking for a pre-owned #3, there seemed to be a few more #3s in .45-70 Govts (hands on 5-6) than in .375 Win (none). Probably a good reason for that. Since I handload, I can make .45-70G ammo to any level of power I feel comfortable shooting in an itty-bitty carbine-ish rifle. It has worked out for me.

[Linked Image]

I like the enhancement of the wood.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/01/15
Originally Posted by whelennut

Yeah, that was my experience.

Someone .. Choate maybe? .. made an inch and a quarter or inch and a half thick stock extension / recoil pad thing for a 10/22 which also fit the #3. I had one. Helped but not enough.

Of the factory offerings my first choice for deer would be .30-40. Load it with Nosler 170 grain round nose .30-30 partitions and rock on. .375 would be good though I think I'd probably download to warmish .38-55 level.

A 7x57 or .257 Roberts conversion would probably be manageable.

For sheer fun, I'd like to find one in .22 Hornet. If it didn't shoot really well it would become a .25-20 WCF fairly quickly.

Tom
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/01/15
Thanks. Me too.

Hated the barrel band carbine fore-arm tip. One day, got motivated and slid the fore-arm under the cut-off saw and whacked off the tip.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/01/15
I've got a 30-40 Krag #3 I bought from Mule deer and it's an accurate and fun rifle. I take it hunting sometimes and have accounted for a few deer with it. I mainly shoot 150s but MD's 180 grain load with H4350 is the most consistently accurate I have tried. I have to say that metal carbine butt plate with a 180 and a stout charge gets my attention though.

They are neat rifles, pick one up and you will enjoy it, I bet
Posted By: DoubleRadius Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/03/15
My #3 in .375 was more pleasant to shoot after installing the Choate recoil pad - never terrible. Try putting finger #2 on top of the lever, helps a lot.

Quite accurate and with Sierra 200s killed well. Never loaded to max pressures but 2300 fps sure worked well on deer. I suspect that max loads with 250s would be a lot less fun....

Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/30/15
I have several #3's and they all shoot. They seem to be very finicky about their diets just like my #1's. I have had off and on success with my .375's. That is probably the most frustrating caliber I have. In the .30-40 I experimented with every type load imaginable and finally found by accident and lack of reloading time that factory 180 gr. loads were the most accurate of everything I tried. These are pretty mild and don't injure your shoulder and were good enough to deer hunting so I quit experimenting and just stocked up. Hate to use factory ammo. but I like to go with what works for a particular rifle. Haven't tried to by any factory ammo. for either of these for a while but I'll bet it would be easier to find than .22 mag. I also have a .45-70 that I bought off a nice fellow on the Fire and have never shot it. It is like new. Need to try it out too. I think I have 5 #3's.
Posted By: gewehrfreund Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/30/15
Here's my slightly improved 223

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/30/15
I like the looks of your "slightly improved 223." What are you using for bases and rings?

Thanks
Jim
Posted By: gewehrfreund Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/30/15
Originally Posted by Rug3
I like the looks of your "slightly improved 223." What are you using for bases and rings?

Thanks
Jim

Originally, I had Ruger bases an rings on it, and that's what's in this picture.
Then I found a set of vintage Buehler bases and rings, and that's what is on it now.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Ruger #3 shooter? - 12/31/15
Originally Posted by whelennut
The butt plate was not much help.
Smaller caliber would be much more fun.

I think it actually knocks your head out from under your hat smile
© 24hourcampfire