Home
Posted By: Aught6 Re-barrel for a No1 RSI - 01/18/16
So I own a RSI in 30-'06. It shoots quite well and I've had a couple small things done to it. I'm thinking of having a 260 Rem or 7-08 barrel put on replacing the '06. Question: where do I get a quality barrel and which caliber is best in a 20" tube? Only reason for the second half of the question is I recall a few years back there being some talk about the 260 performing poorly out of short barrels.
Posted By: Aught6 Re: Re-barrel for a No1 RSI - 01/18/16
FYI. I'm looking to do this because I own a few '06's and want a light compact low recoil deer/black bear carrying rifle
Posted By: Gasman Re: Re-barrel for a No1 RSI - 01/18/16
Isn't that what you already have?

You could load your own ammo down to 308 levels (or even 300 Savage) or buy reduced recoil ammo. A lot cheaper and easier than rebarreling.
Posted By: Aught6 Re: Re-barrel for a No1 RSI - 01/18/16
Yeah but, I have several '06's and want something a bit smaller yet usable on big game and a little unique. Even if I could get a 7x57 or 6.5x55 barrel right from Ruger. They are usually too busy though. I was looking more for a company that makes after market barrels of quality for the No 1. I know they aren't the most popular gun to make barrels for but someone must.
Posted By: Joe_Kidd Re: Re-barrel for a No1 RSI - 01/23/16
Will admit a rebuild is quite exciting. Lots of quality barrel makers out there, look at Shilen for what you desire.
© 24hourcampfire