Home
Posted By: mjbgalt contender issues - 02/12/16
I have a new g2 frame that is driving me nuts. First i had to try 3 pins to get one that fit. Then I bought a 44 mag barrel it would not accept. Just wouldn't lock closed. Now I bought a 22 barrel, same thing.

What the heck, I just want to use my gun. Ideas?
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: contender issues - 02/13/16
Have the locking lugs checked by someone who is savvy on Contenders.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: contender issues - 02/14/16
New style or old style barrel? If it has a one piece locking lug that may be your problem.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: contender issues - 02/14/16
Two different barrels both have two lugs. Think it's the frame?
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: contender issues - 02/15/16
New, or new to you?
Frame stretch?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: contender issues - 02/15/16
Brand new.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: contender issues - 02/16/16
S&W 's new Q.C.?
Posted By: Turk1961 Re: contender issues - 02/18/16
Just return it and get it replaced. And let us know if TC does not take care of you.

Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: contender issues - 02/18/16
The locking bolts on the barrel lug engage a "shelf" on the frame....have seen a few instances where a burr or sharp edge on the leading edge of the frame recess/shelf can prevent a solid lockup.

additionally, make sure your barrels are stepped lug and NOT early flat bottom lug barrels. Early flat lug barrels like the one below do not have the 1/8" "step" on the barrel lug....even changing the locking bolts on this style to a 2 pc bolt may not allow lockup on later frames.

[Linked Image]

Stepped lug style:

[Linked Image]

light stoning/beveling of forward edge of the locking bolts can sometimes allow for a lockup, but if the frame recess is out of specs, sounds like a trip back to TC is warranted.

Posted By: mjbgalt Re: contender issues - 02/22/16
Well this last one makes 3 barrels in a row that did not want to work on the frame. That tells me the frame is the issue. With other contenders and encodes I have never had one not work, Damn sure not 3
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: contender issues - 02/29/16
Looks like the issue is the breech is not flush with the rest of the frame inside. No idea how that could happen or be fixed. The little circular piece with the firing pins in it sticks up a tiny bit like it wasn't fully put in place.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: contender issues - 02/29/16
Some T/C freaks will shim the breechface out to control headspace, or so I've heard. Google "contender breechface shims" and go to Mike Bellms site for instructions get the breechface out.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: contender issues - 03/12/16
Gunsmith says the breech plug is the problem...sticks out past the frame a few thousandths and keeps barrels from closing. Going to send back to tc and see what happens. This is probably somewhere in the 20 something number of tc products I have owned and this is the first problem. However you'd think they'd at least check to see if it worked before shipping it out.
Posted By: kenacp Re: contender issues - 03/12/16
I have a few frames, and the breach face protrudes a few thou. on all of them. I don't think that is your problem.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: contender issues - 03/12/16
All I know is that's what the smith said. It stuck out much farther than the other 3 g2 contenders I had.
Posted By: hookeye Re: contender issues - 03/13/16
My dad had a new G2 that did that.
He sent it back and they gave him a new frame.
It didn't have the trigger overtravel stop like the one before, so he sent it back, and they gave him a new one with the OT stop.

They were nice about it, just took a little time to get it solved.
© 24hourcampfire