What model no'1's were made in 243?

1V?
AB?
S?
Etc....
I only know of one

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 05/22/16
It was pretty popular. I have a #1B from 1976, and I think the 1A was also in there. Maybe one of the stainless models, too.
Yep, they did a stainless 1B with a laminate stock.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
It was pretty popular. I have a #1B from 1976, and I think the 1A was also in there. Maybe one of the stainless models, too.

I have a bicentennial 'B' specimen as well. I need to play with it more this summer.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 05/23/16
How about the 1V in 243?
Yes, there are a few "V"s out there, but they're not common and were only made a couple of years on the early 1980's.

There were no 1S in 243. In prefixed rifles there was 1A, 1B, K1B, AB(also rare) and RSI.
In the non-prefix rifles, there were lots of possibilities.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 05/23/16
The commonly catalogued were
1a
1b
1ah
1rsi
1v. I believe though I've always seen more in 6mm

The interesting thing about #1s is there are a lot of odd limited runs out there. I am also not including the variations of the above that have stainless metal and / or laminated stocks
I have a .243 #1A that has long been my favorite CF rifle.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 06/01/16
Had a 1-A years ago...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 06/01/16
Someone slipped a .222 1A with nice wood onto Gunbroker....
Someone slipped a .222 1A with nice wood onto Gunbroker....

You should buy it Patrick! grin

Mine has plain wood, so I don't mind dragging it around a bit... wink
No you buy it. If'n I was gonna buy it, I wouldn't tell everyone about it grin

If I can't get my .300 Weatherby shooting acceptably well, I'm eyeing a Montana 1999 in .28 Nosler...

I'm eyeing a Montana 1999 in .28 Nosler...

Why don't you just stick with good guns?

shocked ( oh! He actually said that!!!)
<sigh> I thought the reviews were good on them?
Patrick I am given to understand quality control has radically improved the last few years. I dealt with them before that and it was a disaster, so I have retained the sour taste in my mouth.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 06/02/16
Ditto
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 06/02/16
Over in Hunting Rifles they did a group buy on a .260. Seems like most of the guys loved them out of the box and some had trouble, but they say Montana made them right.

The Nosler 48 has a Pac-nor barrel, and they aren't that much more expensive.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 06/02/16
Patrick...I was mistaken I thought you meant a Kimber Montana...

Montana Rifle Company guns never gave us a lick of trouble...Kimbers OTOH.....

Might as well phone for a call tag when you have the customer fill out the 4473...we ended up sending exactly 100% of them back in for 'issues'....

Kimber is who I meant Ive heard quality control improvement on...

sorry...my bad! blush
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 06/02/16
oh, that's very different smirk

Yeah my Kimber Montana 7mm-08 had a POS for a barrel. A trip to Pac-nor fixt that problem, quite nicely smile

Posted By: AJD Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 08/25/16
Ruger definitely produced a K1B, I guess that is the designation, in .243 as I have one in the safe.
My Kimber Classic .308 shoots great with its Broughton replacement tube, not so good with the OEM barrel.

I once had a 4 digit Ruger #1 in .243. It was the std. sporter. I traded it, would have been a good one to have kept.

DF
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I have a bicentennial 'B' specimen as well. I need to play with it more this summer.

After "playing with it more this summer", I have come to realize that this 243 really seems to like IMR 4350 and ordinary 80 grain (Remington PSP) bullets. Sub MOA groups with a 4X scope ..... now I really need to play with it some more.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 08/26/16
I had one, an RSI, for quite a few years. My grandkids and guest hunters used it more than I did, but I shot quite a few feral hogs and a couple of deer with it myself. Mine liked 95-grain Partitions, and 42.5 grains of RL-22 was the load that I ended up using the most. While cleaning out the reloading shelves last week, I discovered 87 rounds of loaded ammo that I overlooked when I traded it a few years ago. eek
Posted By: hookeye Re: Ruger No.1's in 243..... - 08/29/16
I had a B, now have an RSI.
Would like a A.
Few lbs of 4350 yet to burn.
My RSI likes boring old WW 100gr factory ammo, so that's what it'll run this November.
© 24hourcampfire