Home
Posted By: se3388 Tippmann Rifles - 03/10/17
Anyone here ever handled one of the Rolling Block rifles from Tippmann Armory?

Steve......
Posted By: se3388 Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/11/17
Has anyone even seen one in person?

Steve....
Posted By: Ploughman Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/24/17
I'd like to know, too.
Posted By: gewehrfreund Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/25/17
Yeah, the local shop has one in 357 Mag. Looks to be well made, but they are very expensive and they used a large frame even though they only chamber them in pistol calibers (?). They should have used a No. 1 1/2 or No. 2 frame. Also the the open sights are pretty basic and the tang is not drilled for a tang sight, nor is the barrel drilled for scope mounts. The hammer has an over long, strange-looking (to my eye) spur that detracts from the overall appearance. One thing they did retain, is the ridiculously low comb of the originals; not much cheek contact even when using the barrel sights.

Might be a fun cast bullet plinker if it were a LOT cheaper.
Posted By: Ploughman Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/25/17

What kind of price are they asking? My guess is that they'll have a hard time selling them as small-game center-fires if the price is close to what a "deer" caliber rifle would be. Would you be willing to pay that price if the Tippman were chambered for a "deer" round?

Were 1 1/2 Remington rolling blocks actually much smaller than No. 1s?
Posted By: gewehrfreund Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/25/17
Originally Posted by Ploughman

What kind of price are they asking? My guess is that they'll have a hard time selling them as small-game center-fires if the price is close to what a "deer" caliber rifle would be. Would you be willing to pay that price if the Tippman were chambered for a "deer" round?

Were 1 1/2 Remington rolling blocks actually much smaller than No. 1s?

Asking $895, though he said I could have it for $795 ;-)

No, I wouldn't pay that for it in a "deer round" either, but then, I don't hunt much anymore.

I believe the 1 1/2 is smaller than the 1 and 5, which these Tippman seem to be based on. I know the No.2 is a smaller action, and would be a lot nicer in a pistol caliber.

If you're interested, it's at Creekside Firearms in Homer, NY (607) 299-4046. Ask for Doug and tell him Lance sent you.
Posted By: se3388 Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/25/17
Listed at $895.00 is getting close to lower end Ruger No.1 rifles.

Steve.........
Posted By: gewehrfreund Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/26/17
There are good used Ruger No. 1s for less than that out there, if you look and you're patient.
I know, because I have a "small" collection. So, these Tippman rifles aren't of much interest at the asking price. If someone is really into rolling blocks, and wants a strong modern shooter, they may be worth the money.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/27/17
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
Yeah, the local shop has one in 357 Mag. Looks to be well made, but they are very expensive and they used a large frame even though they only chamber them in pistol calibers (?). They should have used a No. 1 1/2 or No. 2 frame. Also the the open sights are pretty basic and the tang is not drilled for a tang sight, nor is the barrel drilled for scope mounts. The hammer has an over long, strange-looking (to my eye) spur that detracts from the overall appearance. One thing they did retain, is the ridiculously low comb of the originals; not much cheek contact even when using the barrel sights.

Might be a fun cast bullet plinker if it were a LOT cheaper.
Yep.

I was in Cabela's gun library the other day when I saw a Tippmann in .357 Magnum and remembered this thread. My first impression was big, blocky and super low comb. I suppose it's well made but the ergonomics were awful and there is enough wood and steel there for two svelte .357 rifles.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/27/17
I was under the impression that the Tippmann rifles are built on original actions with a new stock, barrel, and internal components (hammer, trigger). Is that right?

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tippmann Rifles - 03/27/17
The website says the receivers are investment cast, so I'd say no. "Based on a Spanish infantry rifle" apparently means the design, not the actual rifle. That hammer is kinda weird.

Someone interested in a SS .357 might want to wait a month or so for the Henry. They're not listed yet, but their prez told me they're coming.
Posted By: se3388 Re: Tippmann Rifles - 04/03/17
I didn't know they were made with that large action, that hammer is a bit weird in how it sticks up. I have one of the Baby Rolling Blocks from Uberti and really like it except for the heavy trigger, I have been lazy and looked up anything about lightening up the trigger.
Mr. Imperato told me in a recent e-mail that the 357 mag version of his single shot rifles would be out later this year. I'm planning on taking a look at them.

Steve..........
© 24hourcampfire