Home
Posted By: JamesJr My First Beaver - 12/23/20
Beavers have moved in on a corner of my farm. There is no stream, but a series of sinkholes with an underground stream in them. The sinkholes end in a cave, that does have a stream of water running out of it, on an adjoining property. They've cut a lot of trees on me, and I was going to let them be, until they begin to cut down some large trees, that fell into a crop field. They're making a mess, and need to go. I've never trapped beavers and decided to set out a couple of snares. Caught one last night, weight was 34 pounds. Tried to give it to someone that wanted to skin it, but nobody wanted it. I'm sure there are still a few more left.
Posted By: sidepass Re: My First Beaver - 12/23/20
I like most, remember mine.
Posted By: electram Re: My First Beaver - 12/24/20
Right now the values in the castor. You can probably watch a couple of youtube videos and figure out how to harvest it and make some money on it.

In my experience, if there enough beaver sign for somebody who doesn't normally trap beavers to notice, especially with tree damage, it normally means there's a lot of beavers. I've never snared them. I normally start with blind sets, then castor, then food lure. Set a lot of traps and empty them early so the others don't get trap or lure shy.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: My First Beaver - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Beavers have moved in on a corner of my farm. There is no stream, but a series of sinkholes with an underground stream in them. The sinkholes end in a cave, that does have a stream of water running out of it, on an adjoining property. They've cut a lot of trees on me, and I was going to let them be, until they begin to cut down some large trees, that fell into a crop field. They're making a mess, and need to go. I've never trapped beavers and decided to set out a couple of snares. Caught one last night, weight was 34 pounds. Tried to give it to someone that wanted to skin it, but nobody wanted it. I'm sure there are still a few more left.

Beavers are easy to catch. You can set a #330 Victor Conibear in a runway or in front of a creek bank den hole, or a #3 Victor leg hold, attached to a wire slide into deep water to drown, along the creek edge. A bit of castor at the leg hold helps bring 'em in.
Posted By: Torqued Re: My First Beaver - 12/25/20
330 the hell out of em. They're an easy catch
Posted By: readonly Re: My First Beaver - 12/25/20
The first beaver is easy to catch, but what about the last? Because if your not considering how to catch the last when you set for the first, you'll never catch it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: My First Beaver - 12/25/20
The title of this thread sure had potential, especially if it contained pictures. What a let down.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: My First Beaver - 12/25/20

Congrat’s - I didn’t catch my first one until I started using castor scents.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: My First Beaver - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Congrat’s - I didn’t catch my first one until I started using castor scents.

Yep, congrats on catching your first one.

I never used scents to catch beaver. Traps on dams, slides, traps and snares on trails, always worked for me. I probably just caught the dumb ones!
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: My First Beaver - 12/29/20
Mine was in the backseat of a '74 Chevy Monte Carlo.
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: My First Beaver - 12/31/20
Congrats on your first one. Hard to beat 330s for easy and quick sets. They are my go to for beavers just as 220s are my favorite trap for cooners.

Keep up the good work!
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: My First Beaver - 01/05/21
Nice Beaver Video

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: My First Beaver - 01/21/21
I think more guys get caught by a beaver than catch one.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: My First Beaver - 01/21/21
I sure remember my first beaver. I was 19, she was 18 and built like a goddess. That thing smelled like roses and tasted like honey..... A memory that will last a lifetime.
Posted By: MrClean Re: My First Beaver - 02/16/21
One of my favorite childhood books.....

[img]https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...6a29feca41994ce2bc1ad6b3&oe=6052D195[/img]

Attached picture download.jpg
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: My First Beaver - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
The title of this thread sure had potential, especially if it contained pictures. What a let down.

Know the feeling. 🦫

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Epochelyptikal Re: My First Beaver - 02/24/21
This thread went about where I was expecting. Lol

You're property sounds like an nteresting one with sinkholes, caves, and underground streams. Have any pictures of the sinkholes those beaver are active at?
Posted By: rickt300 Re: My First Beaver - 03/02/21
I remember it well, New Years eve 1970, in a closet.
Posted By: Chickenrig Re: My First Beaver - 12/21/21
Ain’t nuttin like your first beaver
You sir are now addicted to the beaver
Posted By: LBP Re: My First Beaver - 12/21/21
It’s was 1989 in the back seat of a crew cab Chevy dually at the lake. She had a hairy chubby little beaver, I'll never forget Michelle. 😉
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: My First Beaver - 12/21/21
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Found one this weekend

-Jake
You never forget your first
Posted By: KB64 Re: My First Beaver - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by 1minute

grin
© 24hourcampfire