Home
Posted By: ranger1 Badgers - 11/12/07
Did a quick check of a few traps close to town this morning and found this guy waiting for me. Wasn't real happy to see me - He dug the hole he is in after he got caught.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Badgers - 11/12/07
tough critters aren't they?
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Badgers - 11/13/07
Anyone know how far (south) their range extends? Curious
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Badgers - 11/13/07
I know that there are badgers in TX but couldn't say as far as the SE goes. Ended up getting two of the nasty little devils yesterday, the one in the pic has what is likely the nicest hide I've seen on a badger.
Posted By: tightloop Re: Badgers - 11/15/07
I have seen two in the Brush Country of South Tx around Tilden...
Posted By: skullmonkey Re: Badgers - 11/16/07
Neat! We don't have any of them anywhere near here but it's always cool to see what everybody else's got. Looks like a steroid pumped groundhog on acid. I know their rumored attitudes and verocity, how hard are they on traps?
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Badgers - 11/16/07
Never bother the trap at all, as a matter of fact the don't really even fight the trap. They put all of their energy into moving dirt - and I mean a lot of dirt. This one had to have moved close to a yard.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Badgers - 11/16/07
Arizona has em....
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: Badgers - 11/23/07
I have seen lots of Badgers in the Texas Southwester border and in Mexico as far South as Durango. The Big Bend of Texas has a lot of Badgers.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Badgers - 11/23/07
Armadillos are living proof that badgers and turtles breed.
Posted By: Tundragriz Re: Badgers - 02/03/08
Common in Sonora Mexico.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Badgers - 02/10/08
How did you kill that badger with out harming his perfect pelt?
Posted By: saddlering Re: Badgers - 02/11/08
There are badgers in Northern Michigan! also John
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Badgers - 02/12/08
.22 CB does the trick, although I'm toying with the idea of using a kill pole on them in the future. I prefer not to shoot any of the animals on the line, but badgers are tough to kill - hoping the acetone pole will get it done. Here's another nice one from this fall.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Badgers - 02/12/08
I'm amazed at how much dirt they can move.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Badgers - 02/14/08
Years ago I trapped a badger along a road in N CA... just outside Vallejo actually... and it dug a huge hole because I used the bottom wire of the fence as a running line. The hole was over 6' long and a couple feet wide and pretty deep. Was pulling traps that day so I filled the hole with a shovel and took the trap.

A couple weeks later I happened to be driving the same road when the Sheriff pulled me over and started asking strange questions about how much time I spent on that particular road.

He then asked what I buried beside the road a couple weeks before... Seems he failed to uncover the body the lady down the road had reported someone burying... wink
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Badgers - 02/19/08
Thats hilarious!! There used to be a Badger south-east of Post, Texas....
Posted By: Roscoe Re: Badgers - 02/21/08
I would be interested in buying a badger to have mounted if you would be willing to sell one to me. Let me know.

Roscoe
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Badgers - 03/06/08
Rosco (nice name), it would be next season but i have all the badger i can handle on my line, dont like caching them, almost feel bad! plus they arnt much fun to skin!anyway i sell most of them to taxi's and would be glad to sell to anyone who wants one. btw, i am new here, nice site yall have!
Posted By: kevinh1157 Re: Badgers - 03/07/08
Rosco1 - Welcome - I shot a full magazine from my 10-22 into a Central CA badger. He stilled crawled into a hole, although I was able to pull him out (DEAD)
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Badgers - 03/07/08
Only time I ever saw a badger was with my grandfather in the white mountains of Az. I had the 22 mag with me and didnt even think about taking it out! Wish I would have!
© 24hourcampfire