Home
Posted By: littlewallace Badger Trapping - 09/06/09
Whats bait for Badger trapping? Where whould you trap for them at
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Badger Trapping - 09/06/09
no special bait, any lure will work. I dont target them, but still pick up plenty in cat/coyote traps.

set for them from high in the mountains, to the river bottoms and everywhere in between.

look for their diggings (where they are mousing) very easy to recognize. make sure you use a LONG stake, cross-staking isnt overkill either, they will move alot of earth while in the trap.
Posted By: LNF150 Re: Badger Trapping - 09/07/09
I think I read once that an adult badger will move (dig) a cubic yard of earth a day. May not sound like much, but try that with a shovel and that will break a sweat. The only badgers I've caught were just happen stance during WDC work.
If I was going to set for them, I'd look for fresh burrow entrances. You can tell them from 'yotes, because a badger's hole is oval shaped, where a coyote is rounded. A blind set in that case would work or a dirt hole with any kind of stank in it. Use some solid strong traps, these creatures are related to wolverines and they have a very similar mean attitude.
What rosco said is the truth, overkill on your anchors is a must. I use several earth anchors with several cables and combine the two ends with a swivel (even though I have a swivel on my trap chain too). One badger I caught literially tore up the entire area, it looked a dirt bike had just sat and spun dounuts in a circles all night long.
Good Luck, they are tough.
LNF150
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Badger Trapping - 09/08/09
Can't keep em out of a dirt hole set made for fox or coyote. A long (20 in. for me) rebar stake with a number 2 coil spring will do the job - judge your soil. For some reason they seem to dig around like a stadium but seldom go for the stake. They are best later in the season. To me they are really an incredible fur with a great pelt.
Posted By: idnative1948 Re: Badger Trapping - 09/14/09
Dirt bike spinning donuts is a good comparison. Hard to imagine how much ground and sagebrush they can tear up overnight. Nasty mean critters.
Posted By: badger Re: Badger Trapping - 09/15/09
Originally Posted by littlewallace
Whats bait for Badger trapping? Where whould you trap for them at

Well,

I'm kinda partial to a good tenderloin or T-Bone...... smile
© 24hourcampfire