Home
Guys, I have a ground squirrel infestation problem and cannot use a firearm to control (live in the 'burbs). I could go pellet gun, but I am cheap, so I thought I would use some rat traps. What is good bait to attract ground squirrels to a trap?

Thanks,

Jordan
Sunflower seeds seem to work for me.

Have killed over a hundred in the last cupple of years.

Had 'em getting in the eves of my house so I declared "war" on 'em with rimfires.

They come for the seeds and I shoot 'em from my front porch! (grin!)

Virgil B.
Also wanted to add;

Have used peanut butter on the "trigger" of a HavaHeart trap, and caught them alive, for re-location.

LOTS more fun to just shoot 'em!

And YES, a pellet gun would work great!

Virgil B.
I have done well with peanut butter.
Peanut butter or walnut halves. The peanut butter is easier to get to stay on a trap trigger. We had a plague of them (pun intended) on our ranch when I was a kid in the 1950s and my father offered a bounty of 10 cents a squirrel (honor system; we weren't allowed to touch them--CA ground squirrels carry some NASTY diseases. Like the plague.). I started killing them with my .410 but soon found that the smallest Victor traps I could borrow did the job better and cheaper. Then I started using the largest size of rat traps--cheap and effective. I think my Dad finally regretted his bounty.....got pretty expensive for him. Inside the barns I shot many with an old Sheridan .20 air rifle, too.
Ditto Peanut butter
© 24hourcampfire