Home
Posted By: BrentD Fur prices - 11/08/11
I'm not trapping these days. Haven't for decades, but this year I see a lot of trappers driving the back roads around my place. More than ever before.

Are prices for raccoons, foxes and the like especially high this year? I'm wondering if fur prices are trending upwards and folks are getting back into this.

Brent
Posted By: 1minute Re: Fur prices - 11/08/11
Could also be unemployed folks looking for any way to make buck.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Fur prices - 11/08/11
I know one guy saying he's getting $7-8 for muskrats, skinned and stretched. Doesn't sound like much until he said he's hoping to catch 10,000 of them between now and spring.

I think all the fur prices have rebounded some. It aint like the haydays of the 70s and 80s though.
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Fur prices - 11/08/11
Fur prices are up - so are gas prices. Until gas is way down and fur is way up it won't be a terribly profitable exploit... Unless you're a cat trapper in the west, then some money can be had.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Fur prices - 11/08/11
Muskrats around here will be really tough. Even really dependable wetlands are now dry this year, for the first time in a decade.

Anyway, just wondering. Fur trapping is a traditional past time in this area and was dying out but maybe staging a mild comeback now - or just a local stochastic anomaly.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Fur prices - 11/08/11
If the average guy can make a buck via trapping, it'll be as big as it ever was.

IMO only the hardcore trappers are left. However, that can change in a heartbeat through economic incentive.

I do believe the PETA effect is wearing off this nation in a hurry. Time will tell.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Fur prices - 11/09/11
In my neck of the woods most trappers tell me there is no profit just a lot of enjoyment. A Grandfather and his Grandson have asked permission to trap on my property for the last 17 years.

I look forward to seeing them every year. Grandpa has a lot of stories about the good old days and brings me a bottle of his Dandelion wine. smirk
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Fur prices - 11/09/11
Otter, lynx, wolf and wolverine prices are supposed to be pretty good this year.
A friend of mine up toward Fairbanks does very well with cats on his line. Out here in AH we do okay with otter,wolverine and wolf. We have lots of foxes too, but no one really targets them.
Posted By: 76_michael Re: Fur prices - 01/21/12
Well prices here in Mo aren't to bad coon $15 and down
yotes $15 and down, Fox $12
cats $40 to $100 , beaver $10 and down , otter $30 and up not sure on top but around $80 , these are green prices and will vary but thats what I'm hearing
Posted By: Stoveman Re: Fur prices - 02/07/12
Have a look at North American Fur Auctions' website for current prices. There may be some pleasant surprises.

My question is, why NOT trap?
© 24hourcampfire