Home
Posted By: yukonal Coon Cuff Traps - 03/10/12
found some info...
Posted By: stantdm Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/09/12
I used them for the first time this year. The fellow I got them from said they would only catch raccoons, no house cats. That was not the case. The first week we got a skunk and a house cat, and no coons. I think they would work fine but I cannot use them where the domestic cats are liable to get in them. We baited them with a fish oil on a cotton ball.
Posted By: billy336 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/09/12
Myself and the ranch to the north have caught over 80 this year using these traps. Cod liver oil on a cotton ball does the trick
Posted By: stantdm Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by billy336
Myself and the ranch to the north have caught over 80 this year using these traps. Cod liver oil on a cotton ball does the trick

Are you catching skunks and other small animals?
Posted By: billy336 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/10/12
No, don't see many skunks around there parts. I have only caught coons in these traps. Some manage to get the cotton ball some how. Mighty crafty
Posted By: stantdm Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/10/12
Thanks. I wonder how they get that cotton ball out? LOL, they are crafty. I got 65 last year in one live trap but thought the cuffs would be a better way to go.
Posted By: yukonal Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/10/12
There is some good info on you tube if you search "coon cuff".

Seems everyone uses different bait, but they all catch coons. I'm gonna be trying them for the first time this year.
Posted By: billy336 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/10/12
I have no clue how they can get that thing out with tripping the trap. I have a plan to make the cotton ball tougher to get out. I'm gonna use a paperclip, turned sideways, to pin the cotton in there. Either the coon will fuss with it enough to trip or the paperclip will snap the trigger on it's way out. Headed out this afternoon to check and reset. I'll get back with results
Posted By: billy336 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/11/12
Just 2 today out of my 10 sets. Three others tripped. One had both fronts in the cuff. He wasn't alive
Posted By: stantdm Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/11/12
Billy 336 That is interesting, two feet in the cuff.

Posted By: stantdm Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/11/12
Al, thanks for the you tube comment, I hadn't thought to look there.
Posted By: laker Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/12/12
Originally Posted by billy336
No, don't see many skunks around there parts. I have only caught coons in these traps. Some manage to get the cotton ball some how. Mighty crafty

I wonder if maybe its mice getting the cotton ball out. Just a thought
Posted By: GrizzlyBear Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/12/12
marshmellows?
Posted By: billy336 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/13/12
Could be mice, hard to say. Marshmallows attract ants, leaving u no bait.
Posted By: WhopperStopper Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 04/15/12
I have used them and have had very good luck. For me that means setting them about five times and catching five coon. I didn't do anything special, just luck I guess.

WS
Posted By: REDGUN Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 07/10/12
Originally Posted by stantdm
I used them for the first time this year. The fellow I got them from said they would only catch raccoons, no house cats. That was not the case. The first week we got a skunk and a house cat, and no coons. I think they would work fine but I cannot use them where the domestic cats are liable to get in them. We baited them with a fish oil on a cotton ball.

If house cats are around, try using something "sweet" for bait (marshmallow, fruit, dry cereal, etc)
Posted By: stantdm Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 07/11/12
Originally Posted by REDGUN
Originally Posted by stantdm

If house cats are around, try using something "sweet" for bait (marshmallow, fruit, dry cereal, etc)

Thanks for that suggestion. I will try that. Hadn't thought about using marshmallows.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 07/12/12
Yukonal

You might enjoy the Trapperman.com site, lots of great trappers there and a lot of good experience to draw from.
Posted By: poboy Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 07/12/12
That is true.
Posted By: Rmart30 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 08/24/12
buy one of the cheap boxes of honey buns and cut them into pieces ... they work great on coons and ive never caught a cat when using them and they have more smell than marshmellows .... during the warmer months I will sprinkle a handful of granulated bug poison around the base of the traps and it keeps the ants at bay and it doesnt seem to bother the coons
Posted By: Stickbow Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 08/24/12
Haven't looked at these traps at all but when I use regular traps in areas were cats and other undesirable targets are present I wrap my pans with tinfoil. Coons love shiny stuff and will grab at it getting themselves stuck. I also double set these setups with the other trap having nothing on it just hidden at the right distance to get the back leg when the front is in the trap. Coons will leave a front paw behind quite easily so a double set is nice.
So if these are small traps try a shiny nickel or dime underneath it. Cats and skunks usually don't go after such things just food. Maybe a cat but they don't stink much.

ALSO I put my sets in high traffic areas for coons like creek bed and lake banks. A good moonlit night or two will produce with foil or coins.
Posted By: billy336 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 09/21/12
After checking all the cameras on the farm, the coons have returned. Not for long, set out 9 cuffs today. I'll report back tomorrow after they get a night to sit. Y'all should see what these coons will do to get to the spinner on the feeder. Total acrobrats, pretty impressive really. But they are on borrowed time now...
Posted By: billy336 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/06/12
It's been a couple weeks now . Managed to catch a dozen. I've decided to stop for a week and then set again.
Posted By: poboy Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/08/12
Sounds like you are thinning them out. I have a couple of the cuff traps. I don't usually try for coons, but I may this season.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/09/12
I have one cuff trap. About 5 coons and a skunk. I have yet to have one snap and not get a coon.
Posted By: JSH Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/21/12
I don't use Coon Cuff brand traps but have had great luck with the Duke version. I've only had one tripped with no catch. The Coon Cuffs are designed to be buried while the Duke can just be stuck in the ground. Very fast and easy.
Posted By: billy336 Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/23/12
Checked again today, just a single. Another was tripped but had a gnawed off front in it. Pretty gross. Reset 6. They're getting wise, I'm gonna switch bait next month. I see tracks and see where they're crawling on the feeders,they can run....
Posted By: pointer Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/23/12
Ignorant question from someone hoping to give these a try this year...

Are you anchoring them with a stake or tying them off somehow? If tying off, what size of wire do you use?
Posted By: JSH Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/24/12
I anchor with a 24 inch rebar stake. Probably a little overkill for coons. Might go to the Pogos or cable style at some point as they would be a lot lighter.
Posted By: readonly Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by JSH
I anchor with a 24 inch rebar stake. Probably a little overkill for coons. Might go to the Pogos or cable style at some point as they would be a lot lighter.

It depends on soil type whether it's overkill. I use 18-20" .5 rebar in clay. I had a couple coons pull 18" 3/8 rebar in looser soil when I first started trapping....luckily they both hung up nearby. I only use rebar when there's no sapling or other drag to cable off of.
Posted By: pointer Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/24/12
Thanks guys!
Posted By: tomk Re: Coon Cuff Traps - 10/29/12
Am using a light dog chain to hold mine...

Do any of you guys ever adjust them somehow to make the trap trip easier?
© 24hourcampfire