Home
Howdy guys ,

I use to trap back in the 70's for fox muskrat coon etc ..
Anyway i plan on doing some coyote-bobcat and coon trapping soon -just joined a hunting lease and want to peel back some of the varmints.
We have a few black bears that turn up on game cameras somewhat regularly-is there anything i can do to keep them out of coyote traps ?
Don't want to have to try and release a bear.
Thanks for any help -Mike
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Howdy guys ,

I use to trap back in the 70's for fox muskrat coon etc ..
Anyway i plan on doing some coyote-bobcat and coon trapping soon -just joined a hunting lease and want to peel back some of the varmints.
We have a few black bears that turn up on game cameras somewhat regularly-is there anything i can do to keep them out of coyote traps ?
Don't want to have to try and release a bear.
Thanks for any help -Mike

A good size black bear will release itself from a coyote trap. We had some interactions with a young brown bear this winter on the trapline but thankfully didn't snare him. Maybe try some dirt hole and scent post sets with lure instead of bait if you're concerned. Monitor those for bear activity before you go gung-ho.
Yep, all but the littlest bear is going to release itself. I've never had any trouble with bears getting into coyote/fox traps (and being there when I get there) when trapping in bear country. I can only think of one time that I actually had one and it pulled out.
Ok guys i'll keep this stuff in mind -thanks..
42 years trapping in the U.P. and never had a problem with bears trapping coyotes. Over the years a few snapped traps from bears but never a one held.

But in the last 5 years wolves are a real problem. Two years ago the second day of trapping season 3 wolves in traps.
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
But in the last 5 years wolves are a real problem. Two years ago the second day of trapping season 3 wolves in traps.

Hardly sounds like a problem. More like a solution.
the smallest bear is the biggest problem lol
Originally Posted by IslandFirearmCoatings
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

Hardly sounds like a problem. More like a solution.

The problem was they were on the ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST at the time, also one had a tracking collar on. And are still protected under Michigan Law.
My only problem is too many friggin coons and possums. I can't keep my traps out long enough to get a yote because every day this year I had a stinking raccoon, possum or skunk in my traps. The turkey's appreciate the effort though.
© 24hourcampfire