Home
Posted By: blakeowens Time to sell some Fur! - 03/08/13
Headed to Kingman,AZ to sell the last 11 cats of the year! Hoping to make some good cash![Linked Image]
Posted By: JSH Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/09/13
Good luck! Beautiful cats-I'll bet you do well. Be sure and post your results.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/09/13
I agree, and they look like you did a good job preparing them!!

Don't forget to post your results!

Ken
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/09/13
There are some big $$ cats there! Nice work!
Posted By: jpb Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/09/13
Very pretty pelts!

You have made me curious... what does a single nice one usually sell for?

John
Posted By: VernAK Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/09/13
Fur prices really increased here recently.....with lynx and martin leading.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/09/13
Originally Posted by jpb
Very pretty pelts!

You have made me curious... what does a single nice one usually sell for?

John

I was thinking the same thing!!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/09/13
I'd like to know what they go for.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/10/13
If they are nice and heavy your looking at big money. At least a grand for big cats with clear bellies and good spots, but they have to be heavies.
Posted By: carbonman Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/10/13
Check out the last auction at NAFA. Haven't seen prices this good since forever.
http://www.nafa.ca/11450
Posted By: blakeowens Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/10/13
Well guys the sale is over and have to say I,m a little surprised at the prices. We got better prices In another auction earlier this year but still did good. W averaged right around $425 with the cats. I'm still happy with the results though. I'm a couple thousand dollars richer! Top cat went for $1500 at the sale and my personal best cat went for $1200
Posted By: yukonal Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/10/13
A couple guys I know in NM have gotten between 900 and 1200 this year. I can't wrap my head around that. That is huge.

You still got some big jingle. Nice cats, and nice job with the fur.
Posted By: blakeowens Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/11/13
Thanks Yukon, That also depends on how many cats they had. If they only had 2 or 3 good cats that they took to the sale they are gonna have much higher averages. If they take more than 10 their average will be down unless they somehow manage to only kill 42 inch perfect toms every day. But yeah I am happy with the money. Definitely needed it!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/11/13
Glad to see you made good on the pelts. Pasted below is the prices we get and it was updated 3-1-13. We dont have an auction to go to that I know of.

We do not want green fur with tail bones.

We have TX Otter and Bobcat tags on our TX fur route only, but we cannot tag another states animal in Louisiana. Texas trappers and hunters if you have bobcat and/or otter you want to sell to us but can't get tags, call us and we can meet you on the Texas side of Sabine River at the Logansport bridge and we can tag your furs there in Texas. Now we have Louisiana state tags here at our store.

OTTER
Dry Large-XL 1's & 2's-$60.00
Medium under 32"--$40.00
Small under 30"--$20.00 & down.
Unprime, damaged, ect. $20.00 & down.

Green Large-XL 1's & 2's---$55.00
Medium under 32"---$35.00
Small under 30"---$15.00 & down.
Unprime, damaged, ect. $15.00 & down.

Color will be important on Otter.

MINK
DryXL-Large--$16.00 & down.Small $8.00 & down.

Green--Large-XL--$14.00 & down.
Small--$7.00 & down--
Damage or unprime at value.

Raccoon
Dry 1's & 2's 32"---$12.00
30"--$10.00
27"---$7.00
24"---$5.00
21"---$2.00

Green
30"--$8.00
27"---$5.00
24"---$3.00
21"---$1.00

Unprime or damaged 60% of value down

Grey Fox
Dry Large-XL---$16.00 & down
Medium-Small---$12.00 & down.

Green XL-Large---$13.00 & down.
Medium-Small----$8.00 & down.

Color will be very important on coons. Picked over will be very cheap.

BEAVER
Dry--$14.00 & down.
Green--$6.00 & down. No smalls.

Red Fox
Dry Large-XL--$20.00 & down.
Medium-Small--$12.00 & down.

GreenLarge-XL--$18.00 & down.
Medium-Small--$10.00 & down.

Bobcat East TX & LA Dry Large-XL---$55.00 & down.
Medium-32"-----$30.00
Small under 30"---$15.00 & down.
Green-----$5.00 less per grade. Unprime or #3 60% of value down

Bobcat North East TX
Dry Large-XL--$65.00 & down.
Medium 32"---$40.00 & down.
Green Large-XL----$60.00 & down.
Medium 32"---$35.00 & down.

Bobcat West TX, Pan handle and like areas
Dry--up to $200.00 Green--$140.00

ALL BOBCAT MUST HAVE STATE TAGS !!!

COYOTE N. LA.-E. TX type with good bellies & no broke hair on neck
Dry--$10.00 & down.
Green--$7.00 & down.

No holes in Coyotes!

Possums not wanted.

Wanted Green Beaver Caster $8.00 lb. rough.

Fur is worth more if done properly. If it is not done correctly, it has no value.

---------------------------------------------------
No green furs should be wet. Furs thawed in hot or cold water can't be graded properly if they are wet. This could result in a lower grade for your fur.

Furs that are smelly are usually ruined. This results from being thawed in hot water or carried around in a hot truck bed too long or putting a body or pelt in a plastic bag which heats up very hot. We do not buy smelly furs!
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/11/13
Are your otter and such really thin? Those prices look mighty light to me. I wouldn't sell an otter for those prices, I would look into shipping to NAFA or FHA!
This is the first time I've trapped in 40 years. Prices are not good down here, and I dont know enough about selling furs to go anywhere else. We havent got lots of choices, that I know of.

I got into this trapping because the hogs and yotes were hard on the deer on our place.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/11/13
The big auction houses are easy to send fur to. I live remote and once my furs are sealed I ship them to one of the receiving agents. Down in the lower 48 they have routes where they will pick up your fur for you.
Originally Posted by FishinHank
The big auction houses are easy to send fur to. I live remote and once my furs are sealed I ship them to one of the receiving agents. Down in the lower 48 they have routes where they will pick up your fur for you.

Yeah, the price I quoted are from the only buyer I know of. They have a route and come to town about once a month to buy pelts.
Posted By: 160user Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Are your otter and such really thin? Those prices look mighty light to me. I wouldn't sell an otter for those prices, I would look into shipping to NAFA or FHA!

I agree. Even my "sub standard" fur did much better. About a $30 average on coom, $29 on mink, $12 on rats, $56 on gery fox, $78 on reds, $48 on beaver, $128 on otter, $257 on cats, $144 on fisher and $172 on Marten.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 03/21/13
I'm certainly no expert, but I think the quality of the fur from up nawth is a lot better than what we got down here. And, I figure the buyer is making a good profit, also.

I did find a new outlet for live yotes. I wont get rich, but they are worth more alive than what the pelt will sell for, and there is a waiting list for them. Not just one buyer!!!
Posted By: PA_trapper Re: Time to sell some Fur! - 06/16/13
I think NAFA may be the way to go for me next season. Got rooked pretty hard by a local buyer this past season and ain't going down that road again! Well prepared furs should command good prices again next season , according to reports.
© 24hourcampfire