Home
Posted By: PISTOLMIKE Bird trapping - 04/13/17
Is there any bird trappers in the North America!?

[Linked Image]
Picture borrowed here: jaktsidan

Have read and seen a lot of "pest control" with air rifles on the web.
But is it common to trap birds or is trapping stricly done for fur?

Regards Mike

Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Bird trapping - 04/14/17
Pigeon trap for Bird Dog Training
Posted By: kellory Re: Bird trapping - 04/14/17
I know a few survival type bird traps, if that is what you are asking.
Posted By: hanco Re: Bird trapping - 04/16/17
We used to catch a lot of pigeons, for training pointing dogs. It's not hard to catch quail, although illegal to do so.
Posted By: GaryU Re: Bird trapping - 04/17/17
Hi Mike,

I am a Purple Martin guy. I propagate them and Blue Birds. Because of this I try to control the sparrow and starling populations. Both of these species will take over nesting space and chase away my desired birds. Further more sparrows will kill adult song birds and destroy their eggs. As a result I trap these birds using elevator traps and V-traps. I have on occasion have trapped and killed over 300 starlings in a day. Hope that helps.

Gary
Posted By: PISTOLMIKE Re: Bird trapping - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by GaryU
Hi Mike,

I am a Purple Martin guy. I propagate them and Blue Birds. Because of this I try to control the sparrow and starling populations. Both of these species will take over nesting space and chase away my desired birds. Further more sparrows will kill adult song birds and destroy their eggs. As a result I trap these birds using elevator traps and V-traps. I have on occasion have trapped and killed over 300 starlings in a day. Hope that helps.

Gary

Yes, i'm just qurious, there is alot of differences in hunting and hunting cultures between countries.
Here in my hometown we have problems with too many jackdaws. Trapping is alot more effective then shooting them.

Below a in Sweden common "Norwegian crow trap"
[Linked Image]
http://www.segerlund.net/viltvard-aso/

Regards Mike
Posted By: GaryU Re: Bird trapping - 04/18/17
Hi Mike,

I just built a V-trap that was modified by Andrew Troyer an Amish Purple Martin expert. He sales the plans (a detailed book) with hints on using the trap included. I will take some pics this weekend and post them for you. Have a great week.

Gary
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Bird trapping - 04/18/17
Friend of mine sent me pics/plans for a starling trap to use at my wife's place as the starlings fight with the blue birds for the birdhouses.

Haven't had a chance to build it yet, probably a project for the winter to be ready for next spring when they return.

Friend says his works well.

Geno
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Bird trapping - 04/19/17
PISTOLMIKE, Is the picture you posted taken in Sweden? If so, that is a Magpie in basically the same kind of trap used for them here in Montana. The farmers and ranchers don't like them for many reasons, and just awhile back I saw a trap very similar to the one pictured. It was empty at the time, but will probably get used in the near future.
It is interesting that in my area many of us are of Norwegian and Swedish descent. By the way, Magpie's are protected here and so are Crows.

Ken

Posted By: haverluk Re: Bird trapping - 04/27/17
Originally Posted by kennymauser
PISTOLMIKE, Is the picture you posted taken in Sweden? If so, that is a Magpie in basically the same kind of trap used for them here in Montana. The farmers and ranchers don't like them for many reasons, and just awhile back I saw a trap very similar to the one pictured. It was empty at the time, but will probably get used in the near future.
It is interesting that in my area many of us are of Norwegian and Swedish descent. By the way, Magpie's are protected here and so are Crows.

Ken

Yes, that is a Swedish trap for skata(magpie)and krÄka(crow). They work well.
Posted By: pyrexjarflower34 Re: Bird trapping - 05/09/17
Originally Posted by hanco
We used to catch a lot of pigeons, for training pointing dogs. It's not hard to catch quail, although illegal to do so.

i dont think its illegal in all states.
© 24hourcampfire