Home
Posted By: 450Fuller Alaskan Interior trappers - 01/22/18
Anyone here know or heard tell of Alaskan homestead trappers Duane OSE or Oliver CAMERON?
They were located in the interior of Alaska, East of Lake Minchumina-S of Wien Lake.
This is SW of Nenana about 45 miles, S by SW of Fairbanks 165 air miles, and 78 miles N of Denali.

Wolf-fisher-otter and lynx along with beaver pelts. OSE used to run a 130 mile series of traplines there in the winter.
In the bottom land near Bear Paw the temperature can reach 70 below zero. Fine trapping and snowshoe weather, but best keep yer feet dry.
Jack London country.

For an interesting real trapper story involving the Mounties, look up Albert Johnson- in the Canadian Northwest Territories.
The Mad Trapper of Rat River?
Posted By: akjeff Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 01/28/18
I'm assuming "fisher" to be "marten"? Don't think any fisher occur in interior AK. Scattered in very small numbers in the panhandle.

Jeff
Originally Posted by akjeff
I'm assuming "fisher" to be "marten"? Don't think any fisher occur in interior AK. Scattered in very small numbers in the panhandle.

Jeff

I thought fisher are limited to a small non-native population along Kenai Lake.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 01/29/18
There's been some isolated cases of them being in southeast. Didn't know about the one's along Kenai Lake. Fur farm refuges?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=trapping.fisher

Jeff
F&G is where I heard about the Kenai Lake fishers...
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 01/30/18
I trapped around Kenai lake for a few years and never caught a fisher or even heard of them being there. Doesn't mean they aren't there just means I didn't catch one😀.

Does seem like one would wonder into someone's a marten or Lynx set though. Maybe they have but that would make news around the trapping community for sure!
Posted By: waterrat Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 01/31/18
We traded a nice lynx for a fisher,racoon, and a skunk from a fellow in Maine,IIRC. Never heard of 1 up here,
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/05/18

Jeff

Close Jeff, real close. They are both in the same family, but two completely different animals. The Ermine/weasle all the way to the Wolverine includes the fisher and the smaller marten within the family.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/05/18
I vaguely remember my dad weighing a Fisher that he caught. As I remember it was about an average sized male and the old kitchen scale said about 10 pounds. That was about 60, 65 years ago He trapped them in the Adirondacks. One nasty little animal in a trap!
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Jeff

Close Jeff, real close. They are both in the same family, but two completely different animals. The Ermine/weasle all the way to the Wolverine includes the fisher and the smaller marten within the family.

Thank you, Captain Obvious...
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/05/18
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jeff

Ummmm... your welcome...deckhand smart ass.?

Seemed Jeff was unsure, had a question, needed some clearity... I gave it to him, and your contrubution was.???

I'm sure you're an authority on all things...... good for you. Now use that mouth for something constructive and blow me.!
Posted By: akjeff Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/06/18

Jeff

Yep, I'm hip to the jive. I was asking the OP, if perhaps when saying "fisher" he really meant to say "marten".

Jeff

Jeff

Seemed Jeff was unsure, had a question, needed some clearity... I gave it to him, and your contrubution was.???

I'm sure you're an authority on all things...... good for you. Now use that mouth for something constructive and blow me.!

Sorry, I choke on very small bones...
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/06/18

Jeff

Yep, I'm hip to the jive. I was asking the OP, if perhaps when saying "fisher" he really meant to say "marten".

Jeff

May bad
Posted By: Judman Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/06/18
Don’t worry, art is another passive aggressive assshole, know it all... got something to say about everything.... only adds something when he can be a diick
Posted By: akjeff Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/08/18

Jeff

Jeff

May bad

No worries!

Jeff
Originally Posted by Judman
Don’t worry, art is another passive aggressive assshole, know it all... got something to say about everything.... only adds something when he can be a diick

That's funny from a stalker with a chip on his shoulder...
Posted By: Judman Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/08/18
Naw, I just see you being a fuucking dick everywhere I look. It doesn’t make you cool, funny, or tough, makes you look like a complete azzhole. Just do what most folks do, part to yourself, shake your head and move on.... I know it’s hard for some of you stupid Alaskans though, seems a few of you guys crave negative attention......

Now go ahead Sitka dummy, last word...
Originally Posted by Judman
Naw, I just see you being a fuucking dick everywhere I look. It doesn’t make you cool, funny, or tough, makes you look like a complete azzhole. Just do what most folks do, part to yourself, shake your head and move on.... I know it’s hard for some of you stupid Alaskans though, seems a few of you guys crave negative attention......

Now go ahead Sitka dummy, last word...

Thank God for you, Sheriff Callie
Posted By: Judman Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 02/10/18
Who’s sheriff Callie?
Posted By: las Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 03/29/18

Jeff

I thought fisher are limited to a small non-native population along Kenai Lake.

I had to think thrice about that one. Damned fish-eating bastards!
Posted By: Tweed Re: Alaskan Interior trappers - 04/18/18

Jeff

cry
© 24hourcampfire