Home
Posted By: g5m Movie: "Hail Caesar" - 02/11/16
Set in 1951 this movie by the Coen brothers takes slices of Hollywood and puts them together. The star is Josh Brolin who is a studio 'fixer' who placates actors and directors meanwhile trying to deal with gossip columnists and the kidnapping of the star of a big budget movie under production. That star is George Clooney and he is kidnapped by a group of movie people who have a beef with the system. Saying much more would reveal too much of the story but it has many of the stereotypes you would expect.

It drags in the middle but ultimately is tied together. An okay couple of hours but in my opinion not up to the Coens' best efforts.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Movie: "Hail Caesar" - 02/11/16
Saw it last Sunday on the basis of their other great movies like Fargo, No Country for Old Men and Oh Brother Where Art Thou among many others.

Definitely not their best work. There were about three decent laughs among the sparse audience but the whole movie just didn't click. Good acting and all but no real character development of any of the principles so you really couldn't work up much interest in any of them. Several very good actors in the credits were given very small roles, for instance Jonah Hill who was on screen maybe one full minute and Scarlett Johansson who was in two short scenes.

Overall one of those movies you walk out of and forget about before you've gotten to your car.
Posted By: g5m Re: Movie: "Hail Caesar" - 02/12/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Overall one of those movies you walk out of and forget about before you've gotten to your car.

Funny, but the people with us did walk out on it. Too boring for them. And I considered it.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Movie: "Hail Caesar" - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by g5m
Set in 1951 this movie by the Coen brothers takes slices of Hollywood and puts them together. The star is Josh Brolin who is a studio 'fixer' who placates actors and directors meanwhile trying to deal with gossip columnists and the kidnapping of the star of a big budget movie under production. That star is George Clooney ......

No need for me to read any more .... I have never seen a good Clooney movie.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Movie: "Hail Caesar" - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by g5m
Set in 1951 this movie by the Coen brothers takes slices of Hollywood and puts them together. The star is Josh Brolin who is a studio 'fixer' who placates actors and directors meanwhile trying to deal with gossip columnists and the kidnapping of the star of a big budget movie under production. That star is George Clooney ......

No need for me to read any more .... I have never seen a good Clooney movie.

Have you seen Oh Brother Whereart Thou?
I don't care for Clooney's politics but he was very good in that.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Movie: "Hail Caesar" - 02/14/16
Three Kings was a decent movie as well.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Movie: "Hail Caesar" - 03/08/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Three Kings was a decent movie as well.

Watched Three Kings last night, the opening scene was good smirk , but as gulf war movies go it was just okay.
© 24hourcampfire