Home
Posted By: Klikitarik A persistant young hunter - 04/22/13
[Linked Image]

Finally, after 9 PM Saturday evening, my older son finally connected with and bagged himself a seal he could call his. He killed his first two years ago while shooting a 7mm-08 with 139 GMXs. That seal left enough "forensic evidence" around the hole in the ice top prove that he was dead before did the spaghetti noodle slide into the dark water. He never forgot that. This time, after many empty efforts - and a great deal of patience, especially for a young fellow who has nearly zero of that, he finally managed to poke one 53 Grain XLC, then a second, each with the distinct solid 'whap', into the adult male. Upon closer approach he added a third when he realized the animal was still capable of some willful movement.

Finally, after bring it in late in the evening, he insisted that he would take care of business.

[Linked Image]

So he skinned the animal with only minimal assistance. Twelve years has gone fast, but I am ever proud of my "little" boy.
Congrats to your son, sounds like you have taught him well!
Posted By: Arac Re: A persistant young hunter - 04/22/13
Excellent job, and you are certainly justified in being proud of him.
Posted By: colodog Re: A persistant young hunter - 04/24/13
Well done, young hunter!
Thanks guys. I suppose my fears are not unique. I have sometimes worried that his technique was not going to come, that he wouldn't be able to shoot decently, that he wouldn't be able to find his target and shoot well under pressure, that he doesn't practice enough. So it has been a pleasure to watch him develop and become a quick and reliable shot. Now I only have two more to worry about. crazy (Kids are a lot of fun when they are eager hunters and shooters. smile )
Posted By: Brazos Re: A persistant young hunter - 04/27/13
Very cool.
Congratulations to you both.
congrats , That's cool
Posted By: 280fan Re: A persistant young hunter - 05/02/13
Same thing with my wife. She had watched me do it but I was worried that on her own she wouldn't be quick enough or put the round in the right place. When her chance came she put her deer on the ground with one perfectly placed shot at a little over 100 yards. I was more excited than she was! Congratulations and best of luck with the next hunters you are training.
Congratulations to both of you! From those pictures it is easy to see you should be proud. Looks like you are raising that young man right! Best wishes to all of you for many enjoyable hunts together.
[Linked Image]

This weekend the second son, the ten-year-old got this fat dry "sow". Same rifle and load. He initiated the prospect himself.

[Linked Image]

And he got his first lesson in cutting seal.
Awesome
Tell that young man, "congratulations on a job well done".
I enjoyed the story and photos.
Thanks for sharing.
Wow, congrats!
Congratulations to the young man!
That is something you don't here about often a boys first seal. Awesome pictures and great story congrats
Good job all over, mini Klik
awesome on your kids but dang now i want to shoot a seal cry
Congratulations to all of you.
cool
© 24hourcampfire