Home
Posted By: 1minute Blue Phase Snow Goose - 03/24/21
For some reason these are a rarity for us in the Pacific flyway. Like 1 in 5,000. I think the central folks say they make up about 20% of a flock. Hard for us to get a pic here, but Cookie got near one a couple days ago.

Standard version to the left. Probably a couple hundred thousand in the basin now, and they will hang around for about 5 weeks. Don't look up with ones mouth open when they fly over. Seems they wait for the spring wash and wax on the pickup, and then I get hammered.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Have a good one,
That almost looks like a Ross/Snow hybrid
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Blue Phase Snow Goose - 03/24/21
We see a lot of blues. "Eagle heads" like that one are mature

I agree the beak looks short like a Ross, but it might be the angle
Posted By: 1minute Re: Blue Phase Snow Goose - 03/24/21
Sasha_and_Abby and Wildfowl:

I think one might be correct (Ross). After a close look, I don't think I'd bet a paycheck on my call.
White goes down the neck a bit further on the snows, and the mid-bill gap is wider. Almost like they have lip stick on.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A borrowed image above (Snow). I know Cookie has some previous shots exhibiting clear differentiation, and I'll have to try shaking those out.

Below is an immature bird from the same flock as the first image above, and it's obviously a snow with long bill and for sure lips.

Sorry about my confusion and thanks for catching that,
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Blue Phase Snow Goose - 03/26/21
If it is a Ross/Blue cross, it would be a trophy to anyone that knew what it was!
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Blue Phase Snow Goose - 03/26/21
First pic..I'd bet a Ben Franklin it's a blue phase Ross...We kill a lot of Ross every year usually on the tail end of the migration the short beak and smaller size is the main difference from a snow or blue...

Posted By: twdjr Re: Blue Phase Snow Goose - 05/12/21
That's a nice blue phase Ross' in first pic!
Posted By: VernAK Re: Blue Phase Snow Goose - 05/13/21
We are seeing more snow geese every year but still not big numbers. This is the first year any of us have seen blues mixed in.
I'm told that many of our snow geese come out of Siberia.
© 24hourcampfire