Home
Posted By: DugE Choke recommendation - 10/13/23
What’s a good waterfowl choke for 3” Winchester SXP with 28” barrel?

I’m not a shotgun aficionado. So, I thought someone here would have a recommendation. Prefer best bang for the buck scenario. Not sure how often teenage son will go.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Choke recommendation - 10/13/23
Best advice I can give is to start with a stock modified choke and the shells he is going to shoot and pattern the gun. Every gun patterns different so there is no exact formula for this choke in this gun with this shell. Depending on what range he is going to shoot, decoying ducks or pass shooting I would also pattern an improved cylinder choke. If he gets serious about hunting waterfowl he may want to look into a steel shot or bismuth shot specific choke in the future.
Posted By: Ducker Re: Choke recommendation - 10/13/23
I second Boogan1. Factory Modified seems a great choke for steel. I do IC for first 30 min; after that, go to Modified. Good Luck.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Choke recommendation - 10/13/23
Originally Posted by Boogan1
Best advice I can give is to start with a stock modified choke and the shells he is going to shoot and pattern the gun. Every gun patterns different so there is no exact formula for this choke in this gun with this shell. Depending on what range he is going to shoot, decoying ducks or pass shooting I would also pattern an improved cylinder choke. If he gets serious about hunting waterfowl he may want to look into a steel shot or bismuth shot specific choke in the future.

+1...super good advice.
Posted By: DugE Re: Choke recommendation - 10/13/23
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your input!
Posted By: grouseman Re: Choke recommendation - 10/13/23
Barrel length and gun are less important than the distance at which you'll be shooting and the type of bird. We'll also need to know the shot size and weight.

And you'll have to pattern your gun to confirm.

As a very crude rule of thumb, I use IC within decoys, MOD if I'll be pass shooting just beyond the decoys. I'm not good enough to need a FULL choke.
Pattern the gun. Different chokes with different loads at different distances. Lots of variables. Pattern density is key. No need to buy new chokes if factory gets you to where you wanna be
Posted By: DugE Re: Choke recommendation - 10/16/23
Thanks again guys.
Posted By: killerv Re: Choke recommendation - 10/16/23
The plain jane briley light modified extended, if I had to pick one wing shooting choke.
Posted By: DugE Re: Choke recommendation - 10/16/23
Thanks, killerv!
Posted By: DUKFVR Re: Choke recommendation - 10/16/23
Originally Posted by killerv
The plain jane briley light modified extended, if I had to pick one wing shooting choke.

This.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Choke recommendation - 10/17/23
Patternmaster makes a good line of waterfowl chokes, imho. Get a short, medium, and long range Patternmaster and go hunting.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Choke recommendation - 10/17/23
Screw the factory MOD choke in tight and go fill an ark.
Posted By: DugE Re: Choke recommendation - 10/18/23
Thanks again, guys!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Choke recommendation - 10/18/23
Originally Posted by Backroads
Screw the factory MOD choke in tight and go fill an ark.
+10
Posted By: battue Re: Choke recommendation - 10/18/23
Originally Posted by DugE
What’s a good waterfowl choke for 3” Winchester SXP with 28” barrel?

I’m not a shotgun aficionado. So, I thought someone here would have a recommendation. Prefer best bang for the buck scenario. Not sure how often teenage son will go.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Get your Son some lessons and give him enough shells to practice what he was taught. Skills come before the right choke.
© 24hourcampfire