Home
Posted By: splattermatic geese and cattle - 11/11/12
got a new place to hunt today, a cut corn field i have been seeing geese in every time i go by in the mornings.
Stopped today and the owner gave permission but said cattle will be in the 40 to 50 acre rectangle shaped field in a week or two.
Will the geese still feed with cattle?
Or should i just chalk up the place for ducks down on the river.
Trying to think back, i cant say i actually remember seeing cattle and geese in the same fields? ???

Posted By: RWE Re: geese and cattle - 11/11/12
Originally Posted by splattermatic
got a new place to hunt today, a cut corn field i have been seeing geese in every time i go by in the mornings.
Stopped today and the owner gave permission but said cattle will be in the 40 to 50 acre rectangle shaped field in a week or two.
Will the geese still feed with cattle?
Or should i just chalk up the place for ducks down on the river.
Trying to think back, i cant say i actually remember seeing cattle and geese in the same fields? ???

Can't say I ever paid attention, but I've seen them in the same pasture as goats. FWIW.
Posted By: ranger1 Re: geese and cattle - 11/11/12
Cows will generally push them off, especially if it's a small field like that.
Posted By: toad Re: geese and cattle - 11/12/12
i worked on a ranch in central Washington state and the geese would come in by the thousands to feed among the cattle.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: geese and cattle - 11/12/12
If you can keep the cattle pushed to one side you should be fine
Posted By: splattermatic Re: geese and cattle - 11/12/12
Cool. Hope to hunt there this week.
Thanks.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: geese and cattle - 11/12/12
It might be better to hunt the other side, rather than run the cattle, to keep good relations with the farmer.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: geese and cattle - 11/23/12
Yeah, depends on the cattle and the farmer. I don't know much about cattle except that they're big enough to cause a lot of hurt so I avoid them. I've seen cattle do some pretty incomprehensible things even without explosions going off nearby.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: geese and cattle - 11/25/12
On a 50 acre pasture, there is no way that you should be shooting around the cows. I think the farmer was telling you NOT to hunt once the cows were in there.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: geese and cattle - 11/25/12
I have the properties on both sides as well.
Have't seen any geese in there any more. No cattle yet, but wonder why they moved on?
It may be bigger than 50 acres, and he specifically said it was fine to shoot there.
Posted By: rost495 Re: geese and cattle - 11/25/12
I shoot around our cattle all the time. I've been known to shoot under through between their legs if they are stubborn when I'm trying to shoot groups off my bench.

All can depend on where they are and how tame/wild they are.

I've seen stupid azz cows come otu into a sendero to see what you are, and get wild eyed and you can hear em crash brush until you can't anymore....

I"ve seen em eat prickly pear cactus without wincing.

I've seen em shot under/over and never lift their heads.

of course I can go shoot doves down at the tank and 300 yards away is moms deer feeder and the deer are out eating the whole time....
Posted By: nighthawk Re: geese and cattle - 11/26/12
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
On a 50 acre pasture, there is no way that you should be shooting around the cows. I think the farmer was telling you NOT to hunt once the cows were in there.

Maybe, maybe not. We got permission to hunt a picked corn field the evening before. So we set up and about dawn along comes the farmer's son and opens a gate to let cattle in from the next field over, and yes he knew we were there. We picked up and moved before the cattle got to our side of the field.

Now the farmer knew his cattle were in no danger from us, and we knew we were in no danger from his cattle as they were used to people and shotgun fire not far off. But it was uncomfortable and not worth the off-chance something bad would happen. We moved to another of his fields. Cost us a few birds but everyone is happy and we can get permission for any time we want.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: geese and cattle - 11/28/12
Geese will light into a field with cattle or horses to feed. They like to pick through the chit for stuff to eat.
© 24hourcampfire