Home
Posted By: Darryle Who's ready - 08/25/13
I am pumped up for early teal. It seems like the end to the beginning gets longer as I get older. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Who's ready - 08/25/13
We dont get an early Teal. But early goose statts Saturday and we will be all over it
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Who's ready - 08/26/13
Gotta wait til next month for our early goose, but Im ready!
Got cases of steel stocked, decoys all ready to go, blinds in order, and clothes hanging.
oh, and Trap is chompin at the bit to get some birds.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Who's ready - 08/26/13
Your season doeant start until Oct?
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Who's ready - 08/26/13
New Mexico is retarded when it comes to watefowl rules and regs. We also only get 9 days for early teal instead of a full 16.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Who's ready - 08/26/13
Its still august.
Posted By: catnthehat Re: Who's ready - 08/27/13
Our opener is in five days, dekes are and blinds are all ready, MOJOS all charged and goodtogo, ammo's loaded .
Change of plans though , usually do the opener up north here in the swamps, but I'll be down south this year this year where we hunt them in the fields - we just have to hope the eas are off a certain field and we'll be okay!!
Cat
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Who's ready - 08/27/13
Early goose is open on the ND side of the line right now. Runs Aug. 15 - Sept. 15. Had a perfect pea field all lined up on Sunday, but we put out too many decoys and had them in too big of a group. Had geese in the field all around us, but none of them came in to the spread. Only a matter of time before we kill a pile, limit is 15 per shooter and more pea fields are being cut daily.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Who's ready - 08/27/13
Are birds starting to move yet?
Seems too hot, but my dog is shedding like mad, and I noticed trees in Colorado turning yellow already. Thinking it may be an early and hard winter this year.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Who's ready - 08/28/13
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Thinking it may be an early and hard winter this year.

That might be ok for us this year. The last 2 years the birds didn't show up until mid-late December anyway.
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Who's ready - 08/28/13
Nothing moving in here yet. Biggest crop of local geese I ever seen, however. Coupled with lots of water around and a ton of pea fields in the area, I'm expecting to run short of steel shot before the end of season - provided we don't get early snow and freeze up.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Who's ready - 08/28/13
Our local geese seem slim. But we are seeing alot of big ducks for this time of year
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Who's ready - 08/28/13
I'm ready for dove opener this w/e, but not ready for ducks at all. Need to get some teal dekes... haven't seen any here yet, but I've heard we get some action in these parts on the tanks in late Sept. Dunno if they're greenwings or bluewings or a mix. Anybody out here know for sure? (jeez... I'm channeling Gus...)
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Who's ready - 08/28/13
Well Gus errr Doc since we're a tad N of ya we most always get blue wings in here first don't see where it would be any different down your way. grin
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Who's ready - 08/29/13
Went up thru sw Colorado today and on the way back took some pics thru the windshield.
Trees turning yellow already.
What's the farmers almanac have to say about this winter?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: troutfly Re: Who's ready - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Our opener is in five days, dekes are and blinds are all ready, MOJOS all charged and goodtogo, ammo's loaded .
Change of plans though , usually do the opener up north here in the swamps, but I'll be down south this year this year where we hunt them in the fields - we just have to hope the eas are off a certain field and we'll be okay!!
Cat

I have wait till Sept.8th here in the South of Wild Rose Country.
Gear is ready to go though, lots of shells, permission secured, should be some early moving birds in addition to the resident ducks on the slough, life is good!
Posted By: Darryle Re: Who's ready - 08/29/13
Spent alot of time in Canada, trees turn because of the length of days, not temperature, at least according to the locals around Laval
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Who's ready - 08/29/13
yeah, I know.
Just trying to stir up conversation
Old wives tale also says the longer trees hold their leaves means a hard winter.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Who's ready - 08/29/13
I was all set up and drooling to go kill some honkers and Doves on Saturday and my hunting partner called today to tell me the season doesnt open until Monday
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Who's ready - 08/29/13
Unless I tag out on Friday or Saturday for archery deer in ND, the geese are going to have to wait. Several VERY nice bucks picked out to try stick an arrow in and I want a velvet buck in the worst way.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Who's ready - 09/01/13
106 today. But teal I think, is still a week out. DOn't know for sure, will be in AK when our teal is open. But 106 is to flipping hot to hunt ducks.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Who's ready - 09/02/13
Got a flock of 80 or so honkers using a pasture pond as a roost/rest. And feeding in a near by oat field. Can hun the pond cant hunt the field. Floaters and sillos it is
Posted By: tjs011 Re: Who's ready - 09/04/13
It was a hot dove opener this past weekend in TX... The highlight for me was seeing the first teal of the season on the Katy prairie. It won't be long now!
Posted By: Deacon76 Re: Who's ready - 09/04/13
Just restrung a couple dozen honker floaters. I can't wait for the opener
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Who's ready - 09/11/13
In tennessee we get a woodduck and teal season 5 days long. In east tn. we never see teal in the early season only woodies but we get some greenwing in january. I never see bluewings till spring when I'm fishing.
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Who's ready - 09/14/13
Had a good morning on the North Dakota side of the line. We had several hundred mallards and pintail in the decoys the first hour of daylight. Too bad it's early goose only.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Who's ready - 09/14/13
Ranger, what a pile of geese!! Congratulations!! What is the limit up there??? What did you shoot 'em with?? Finally, what the keck do you do with that many geese?? I make jerky for my pups out of some, but what a load of geese..
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Who's ready - 09/14/13
Limit is 15/day in the ND early season. The boy and I shoot 12 ga. 3" #2 Federal Premium. Both of us are shooting Browning Silvers. I have the local butcher make pepperoni sticks, jalapeno and cheese summer sausage, and German sausage. I make a little of it into jerky too - not for the dogs though!
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Who's ready - 09/15/13
What a limit!!.. You sure live in a great spot.. I was though Plentywood in Aug.. But you're farther east.. Sounds like good stuff, never thought of goose pepperoni sticks..!!! Nice shooting.. Keep it up..
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Who's ready - 09/15/13
I got a limit (2) woodies Saturday morning and a limit this morning too. As usual no teal. This year has been really slow usually we see tons of flocks of 12 or more but this year its been singles and doubles. Was still awesome to get out and on the river. Weather was soooo nice. About mid 50s in the morning and mid 70s in the p.m.
© 24hourcampfire