Home
Posted By: LazyV Widgeon kinda day - 01/03/14
Today was my first hunt this year with just my dog. It Was strange not hunting with anyone but still fun. Ended up shooting a drake spoonie as I haven't yet this year. Neat birds despite what some say about them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shootAI Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/03/14
Looks like a good limit with such sunny weather. Nice job
Posted By: rost495 Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/06/14
Any hunt with a dog is a good one!! On a solo walk wiht mine in a flooded pond on the last day of season once.... we both got together and stalked a pinny drake, and jumped him and got him. Was funny watching Cole "sneaking" in knee deep water.

Only banded bird I"ve ever shot.

Great looking dog!

Spoonies are cool looking, especially nicely colored males. A buddy from years back had 5 mounted flying in a group. Was a cool mount.

Of course I try not to, due to having to eat em. We see em almost always on sewer treatment ponds around here. May be fine, but in the back of your mind....
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/06/14
Real pretty bird. I have one in the feezer awaiting a trip to the taxidermist when my pintail gets finished.

Good job. A day with your dog is priceless.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/06/14
Looks like a great kinda day to me - very nice!
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/08/14
Wids showed up in force here in eastern NC this last week. The cold weather and wind made them fly great this morning. Hunt lasted only 8 mins for me and a buddy. That was with all retrieves by Mr Nickel the Lab.
Posted By: duckslayer56 Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/08/14
Very nice. Widgeon have a special spot with me, due to my first duck being a drake widgeon. My dad always said "God bless the widgeon, one and all". Because you could always count a flight or two to come in later in the morning when everything slowed down.
Posted By: LazyV Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/08/14
Thanks guys. I think the mallards forgot to migrate our way this year but luckily the widgeon have been thick since early November. Hoping to knock some down tmmw morning.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/10/14
Not many, if any, people I'd rather hunt with than my dogs.
Posted By: Pulicords Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/19/14
Very nice! I shot a few in October after a friend in Utah invited over to hunt with him in his club(s). I took a very nice drake and (per his advice) sent it to "Birdman Taxidermy" in Colorado. Within three months they had the work done and I received my mount during the first week of the new year. Couldn't be happier with it or the Gadwall they also did!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Widgeon kinda day - 01/21/14
That's a better widgeon than most folks will ever see pulicords. BTW, that color variation in his head makes him a "storm" widgeon. Beautiful bird.
© 24hourcampfire