Home
Posted By: Gies340 Custom waterfowl gun? - 01/20/14
Anyone trick their shotgun like guys over on the rifle side? Ceracote, stocks, sights, choke, bolt work for auto ladders, ect?

Just wondering.
Mine came with a camouflage job!
Just added a great pattering choke, and a hi viz sight.
Don't need any other bells and whistles to make it any better of a killing machine.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 01/20/14
Years ago I had my 11-87 powder coated due to the fact that I hunted salt water a lot. This protected the finish with a dull black patina. I painted a camo pattern over the finish. This has held up well for better than 20 yrs. now. Did same for my old 870. MTG
I have a few with custom camo dip, sure cycle magazine and recoil springs, back boring, a Schmitt ton of custom chokes, a few with sights and grips for turkey.

Truth is I shoot my SBE or Extrema II more then anything and both have only a few tweaks
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 01/22/14
I mounted a speed bead, added a patternmaster and an oversize bolt handle to my SBEll
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 01/22/14
I have an M2. Easy hit on its way. What oversized bolts are you guys running?
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 01/22/14
I have a full set of bore matched choke tubes for my SBE. I had the forcing cone lengthened on 2 different barrels, one a M1 and the other a browning gold. It helped the M1 a little but made the patterns on the gold worse. I have a fiber optic sight on all my guns and a limbsaver or hiviz recoil pad on my benellis. My next mod will be a wolf 25% stronger recoil spring in my SBE. My M1 has a M2 barrel on it, you have to mod the forearm for it to fit. I want a set of custom chokes for my M1 too, I would like a 9, 18, 27, and 36 thousandths.

Best thing you can do for a shot gun is have all the internals polished if its a semi auto and have the bore polished if it isn't a chrome bore. High quality loads do way more good than barrel mods. But the invector plus barrels winchester and browning use are the least load picky of all the guns I have patterned, especially with heavy loads and or large shot sizes.

I like pistols, I'm really fond of rifles but shotguns and wingshooting are my first love. A black shotgun with mud on it is probably as sexy as a shapely woman in a thin sun dress with the sun at her back.

I shortened the length of pull on a browning gold and added a little more pitch the the butt. Fits like a glove now. Now if it were as reliable as my SBE & M1.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 01/24/14
I have a collection of chokes for my 390 and it will be getting a camo dip soon. That is about as far as I will go. It shoots too darn good to mess with it any.
I generally have a Long Range Pattermaster in the SBEII unless I know I'm going to have them in close. I also put in a heavy duty Wolff recoil spring, but that's about it.

The A390ST is dressed like it was when it came out of the box.
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 02/22/14
I dura coated my original SBE barrel receiver. The blueing was getting thin. I also added an extra power recoil spring which I highly recommend. This one was a wedding gift from my wife.
A few years later when the SBEII came out I lusted over the 28" camo version and when I woke up to go duck hunting one morning it was waiting for me on the kitchen table.
On my SBEII I had Briley install a extended bolt release and I put in a Ballistic Specialties bolt on it. I also use ballistics Specialties tubes in everything. The bolt and bolt release are great for cold weather hunting.
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 02/22/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 02/22/14
Nice! I just sent my M2 to Rob Roberts for some similar stuff. Gonna try his choke tube too.
Originally Posted by Gies340
I have an M2. Easy hit on its way. What oversized bolts are you guys running?

Nordic
Posted By: erich Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 03/07/14
Feeding it custom loads, 7/8 oz ITX #6 in a 2.5" case. Am shooting fewer shells and killing more ducks than ever. 12ga Husqvarna 51

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 03/17/14
Thats way cool!
Posted By: lewdogg21 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 03/23/14
Noting. I feed my Benelli's estates and have for a long time. Use the stock IC choke. Maybe I'm weird. wink

Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 03/30/14
Originally Posted by lewdogg21
Noting. I feed my Benelli's estates and have for a long time. Use the stock IC choke. Maybe I'm weird. wink

Not at all. For my money, estates are the best of the "economy" grade steel shot. And I shoot them most of the time. 3" number 3s for early woodies, switch to 3 " 2s when bigger puddlers come into the mix. 3-1/2" BBBs for geese. Late season all around load for geese, divers and puddlers is 3-1/2 inch 1s
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 03/30/14
Nothing custom at all on our waterfowl guns. Bone stock Browning Silver 12 ga., mine is camo and the boy's is black. Both are 3 1/2", although the only time we use 3 1/2" is when we intentionally go after swans. Federal premium 3" #2 is all we use from the start of season right down to the end. Works great on decoyed birds of any size through a modified Invector Plus. Give me high quality ammo that patterns well through my shotgun over any modification every time.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 03/30/14
I've had the forcing cone lengthened and polished, the barrel polished, and an oversized bolt handle added for easier use when wearing gloves. Oh and added the speedbead
Posted By: Mesa Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 03/31/14
I only have two shotguns for long range stuff like coyotes and ducks (used to shoot crows a lot when I lived in the East). Both are doubles, a Beretta Model 410 32" 10 Mag SxS and a Savage/Valmet Model 330 30" 12 Mag O/U. The Beretta is a little pricey to be messing with but I had the Savage reblued with a matte blue, and choke tubes fitted for steel some years ago. It kills 'em.

I'm very skeptical about the positive effect of camo on hiding guns from game. To me the main thing to avoid is SHINE and movement. Don't be waving a shotgun around until you are about to kill something with it. Birds sense movement really easily, and shine gets everything's attention. A neon pink gun would alarm game but dull blue, gray, black or green? I think not.

For me the main positive effect of "painting your gun" is weatherproofing and pride of ownership, although I've seen some paint jobs that nobody should be proud of!
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 04/03/14
No kidding on waving the gun around! I run a duck boat out of the Horicon marsh and take different people and coworkers whomever. I could not tell you how many people do that when a flock of ducks are working. Gun down until it's time to shoot
Beretta Xtrema II a couple of Pattern Master chokes, what more could a man want? Oh btw there IS a dog behind that pile lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 07/16/14
I ended up sending to Rob Roberts for their cocking handle and slammer button.
[Linked Image]

Also had them send me one of their chokes:
[Linked Image]

They also polished the action and it seems to have made a difference. Ready for fall!
Posted By: VernAK Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 07/17/14
I have a Stan Baker Big Bore on one but haven't used it lately since choke tubes have improved for steel shot.
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 07/18/14
I run either a SX 2 3.5 synthetic or a Browning Gold 10 synthetic. Many chokes for the SX 2, factory for the 10.
Faststeel in the SX 2, Leftover Hevi steel in the 10.
Posted By: duckster Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 08/04/14
Do the aftermarket chokes make that much of a difference?
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Custom waterfowl gun? - 08/05/14
I've not yet patterned my new choke but if you check out Rob Roberts' website, they seem to be doing a ton with patterning.
http://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/videos/video-patterning.html

I do notice differences in how various shells of the same shot size perform. Hope to spend some time patterning before the fall.
Originally Posted by Gies340
I've not yet patterned my new choke but if you check out Rob Roberts' website, they seem to be doing a ton with patterning.
http://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/videos/video-patterning.html

I do notice differences in how various shells of the same shot size perform. Hope to spend some time patterning before the fall.

I used to have a Stoeger P350 as a backup to my 391 XtremaII
It loved Remington 1550s but hated Kents and Winchester. I sold it when I got a SX2 n it didn't like Federals I bit. I now shoot Berettas my 391 and a A300 both with Pattern Master chokes and they preform perfectly with Winchester Super X 1550s shotguns are like women you have to give thm wha they like and they will treat you good lol
© 24hourcampfire