Home
Posted By: wilkeshunter Arkansas report - 01/04/15
Hey Gang,

Anyone out there recently hunted in Arkansas. A group of us are heading that way next weekend and we are wondering how things are going out there. We will be hunting south of Stuttgart.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Arkansas report - 01/04/15
Good luck with your hunt; let us hear about it when you return. I have got to get back to Arkansas - maybe next season!
Posted By: Teal Re: Arkansas report - 01/05/15
Flooded timber down that way is on my list of must do before I croak.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Arkansas report - 01/05/15
A good flooded timber hunt has to be one of the best hunts for anything in North America, imho.
Posted By: Badduckhunter Re: Arkansas report - 01/05/15
Well to tell you the truth the duck hunting in Arkansas so far has not been very good. I live in Arkansas and don't get me wrong there are some out there killing ducks mostly mix bag. I know the weather has not been right for this time of year, plus not a lot of rain to find a spot to hunt in. It started off looking good I went out opening morning with a friend and we shot 7 ducks and that's been it so far. And those 7 ducks did not want to be called to they came in on there own. I have some folks that have gone hunting and yet to pull the trigger if that tells you anything. We are expecting to get a cold front this week, maybe that will bring down some birds. I hope so! So good luck to you.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Arkansas report - 01/06/15
It looks like things may freeze up this weekend. Our buddies out there are wanting us to wait until next weekend if possible. Bummer!!!!!!
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Arkansas report - 01/06/15
We have a lease in the Brinkley area and it's been pretty good this year. Will be down there for 4 days over next weekend. We get a real mixed bag, which I enjoy. Green heads, pins, teal, a few redheads, widgeon, and the "always elusive" smiling mallards.
Posted By: Badduckhunter Re: Arkansas report - 01/06/15
I am going to Brinkley this Friday 1-9-15. My Dad and Uncle have a cabin there. I will post my hunting story if its worth posting. Yea, this weekend not looking too good weather wise, but that's way I am going Friday.
Posted By: Badduckhunter Re: Arkansas report - 01/13/15
I went but did not have any luck. Saw some ducks but did not want to be where I was at. Fields and Bayou was froze up. Only open water was the Cache and the White river. I did see two men that shot their limit on the Cache river.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Arkansas report - 01/14/15
Originally Posted by Badduckhunter
I went but did not have any luck. Saw some ducks but did not want to be where I was at. Fields and Bayou was froze up. Only open water was the Cache and the White river. I did see two men that shot their limit on the Cache river.

I am sorry to hear that your hunt did not go well. Arkansas can be a feast or famine situation. The Carolina coast can be even worse. We leave tomorrow afternoon and hunt Friday through Sunday. Were you able to open some holes in the ice? Do you think there will still be ice in the bayou this Friday?
Posted By: Odessa Re: Arkansas report - 01/14/15
Going down to the Pamlico tomorrow; heard there are lots of Blue Bills and Red Heads on the river.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Arkansas report - 01/14/15
Originally Posted by Odessa
Going down to the Pamlico tomorrow; heard there are lots of Blue Bills and Red Heads on the river.

A Friends of NRA fellow committee member just got back from Harkers Island. They did very well on Red Heads and Buffleheads. Good luck on your trip and let us know how you do.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Arkansas report - 01/14/15
Head to Brinkley Friday morning to hunt Sat, Sun, Mon. Should be plenty of open water. Low's 34-36, highs around 50. And for our blinds, the winds should be perfect.....
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Arkansas report - 01/19/15
Well fellas we had a great hunt. We got there just as the ice had melted and had plenty of ducks. The ducks are very call/decoy shy so we had to do a lot of pass shooting. I got lucky and got a Wood Duck drake with a band. It was banded in Kentucky in 2009. Arkansas was good to us once again and we are are grateful. Anyone heading that way should have a good chance at a good hunt.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Arkansas report - 01/21/15
Saturday and Sunday were good, we only used a few decoys and were careful with calling. Had to work but got our limits. Monday was strange, lots of large flocks travelling fast, with no interest in responding. Still a good trip.
© 24hourcampfire