Home
Posted By: ST50 Goose loads - 08/21/15
I have gotten back in to goose hunting a little after a long time. Anybody notice a significant advantage using Black Cloud or other specialized shotgun shells? Thanks Marty
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Goose loads - 08/21/15
I have found pretty much all of those fancy steel loads to be gimmicks. I've gone back to shooting Federal Blue Box and am killing as many birds as I ever have. The only loads worth spending extra on are the high density shot, like Hevi Shot, Bismuth, etc and if you go that route step down a few sizes in shot size.

I like 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz of B's or 1's for geese. BB's if shots are a little further.
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: Goose loads - 08/21/15
We shoot a LOT of geese. Our season runs basically from early Sept. to early March (with a few breaks) I shoot either Winchester Suoer X or Score BBs 1550s 3". For late season birds I load a 3.5" first so it's my last shot. When one of those Kevlar coated honkers is hard hit but making a fast exit, that last 3.5" hail Mary can make the difference between a bird in the bag and one going off to die in the marsh. As for Black Cloud and Blind Side IMO they are over priced gimmicks with little or no real world value

Posted By: duckslayer56 Re: Goose loads - 08/21/15
I'm another firm believer in Blue box federals. I use BB or BBB, and like to get the 1550fps shells. Never had an issue with them knocking birds down and they cost half as much. When it all comes down to it, it's all just steel shot. Weather it has a little disc around the pellet or its shaped like a hex cube, it's just steel.

Now if you're talking about heavy shot, bismuth, or those kinds of shells, they do perform better, and hit harder, but you'll be spending double the money for only 10 shells. Not worth switching for this broke waterfowler.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Goose loads - 08/21/15
My experience mirrors the above with the addition of a Patternmaster tube.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Goose loads - 08/22/15
I use Federal blue box, 3", 1 1/8 oz, 1550 fps, #2's up until mid December pretty much, then switch to BB's, as the feathers and down thicken up.
Tried BBB's a few times last season, and they blew some geese out of the sky. I bought a case for this season. I'll see if that size makes a diff.
Posted By: NJelksmacker Re: Goose loads - 08/22/15
I like both Hevi Metal 3 1/2 BB's or BBB's as well as Black Cloud. A lot of guys I hunt with shoot Kent 1's or BB's and like them.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Goose loads - 08/23/15
Of the steel specialty loads the best are Hevi-Metal and Blind Side

The absolute best are hevi shot

Of the steel loads I shoot Federal bLue Box or Estate. All 3.5 in BB.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Goose loads - 08/23/15
gitem, what size in Hevi-Metal??
I shoot BB and BBB. That gets dictated by the time of year and how the birds have been pressured. We have a growing bumber of "waterfowlers" around here that only know aboutbthe sport because they watched duck dynasty and grew a beard...sky busting is all they can do.

Early season where we are mostly shooting young of the year birds. i judt shoot whatever I had left over from the yesr before. i do not keep steel more than a year
Originally Posted by VernAK
My experience mirrors the above with the addition of a Patternmaster tube.

All I shoot is a patternmaster

From sporting clays on theough Grouse and Geese
Posted By: duckslayer56 Re: Goose loads - 08/24/15
I like my patternmaster when I'm doing the spring snow goose hunts, or if I'm hunting sea ducks. I really like my 10 gauge for the sea ducks though. During regular season, when I'm hunting over decoys I just haven't been able to beat my stock modified choke that came with the benelli.
© 24hourcampfire