Home
I shot a monster mallard I'd like to get mounted but I'm having trouble deciding on what pose. Do you guys have any that you think look better than others?
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Preferred mounting style - 01/29/17
wings cupped, feet starting to drag, looks good to me. from what I know, anything with wings spread costs more than folded, but worth it I think
That's one of the ones that I'm fond of as well.
My favorites.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Flying mounts are definitely more realistic and "entertaining". I do like to do things a little different though, I don't like the traditional flying against the wall mounts. It looks like the duck is crashing into the wall to me. I am a big fan of pedestal mounts. Here are a couple of the ducks I have mounted. Maybe it will give you some ideas. [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by splattermatic
My favorites.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Where did you get the Eurasian?
Those may be his, but I'm betting that he just pulled them from the birdman's website. He's got examples of about anything you could want on there.
Posted By: rondrews Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/05/17
These are all beautiful Mounts. The one that I have is a pair of Goldeneyes standing on a piece of Driftwood. The Drake is in full plumage and the hen pruning her wings. I have it in a display case as you enter my door. Many compliments. Wish I knew how to send it, but I'm not good on computers.
Originally Posted by deerhuntertommer
Flying mounts are definitely more realistic and "entertaining". I do like to do things a little different though, I don't like the traditional flying against the wall mounts. It looks like the duck is crashing into the wall to me. I am a big fan of pedestal mounts. Here are a couple of the ducks I have mounted. Maybe it will give you some ideas. [Linked Image][Linked Image]

Do you do these yourself?

Very nice work, if so.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/05/17
love the oldsquaw!
Originally Posted by WillARights
Originally Posted by deerhuntertommer

Do you do these yourself?

Very nice work, if so.

I did not do these myself. I have a local taxidermist that does the best work I have ever seen.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/06/17
Here's my 'gaddy that Birdman Studios did for me. I get mixed responses on the dead mount but I love the way it came out.
[Linked Image]

I also have a drake mallard preening that I am really happy with even though it took 4 years to get from the taxidermist.
I have to say that the one that I remember most seeing, not a favorite artistically, was when I saw one mounted just like a head-mount deer. A little wall hanging wood plaque with the neck and head of greenhead drake sticking out. Cracked me up.
Posted By: rondrews Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/07/17
That is funny. Maybe you could put a set of Antlers on it.
I love the dead mounts, but they won't work where I'm going to put it.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/07/17
I'll try to get a picture of my mallard for you tonight.
Hawk driver,
I shot it north west New Mexico, in a winter wheat field.
I did not I'd it as a euro. Widgeons were coming in behind a flock of Canada's.
I told my buddy, I was gonna hammer 1 goose, then swing on the widgeons.
Dropped a goose, id'd a drake when they flared and a load of bb's went up.
Here's a pic of it on my blind door.
It's a once in a lifetime bird.
Birdman did an awesome job.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/08/17
Here's my mallard mount
[Linked Image]
That's really close to the one I've been leaning toward. Good looking mount.
The birdman does an awesome job. I just wish he didn't take so long.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/09/17
That mallard actually didn't come from Birdman, but from a friend of my Uncle's that does taxidermy on the side. I do know that Birdman offers expedited services but I think it's another $100 or so on top of his normal charge.
Yeah, I think it's even more than that to kick it to the front.
He charges 150.00, for a 120 day turn around.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/10/17
What is his normal turn around?
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/11/17
It just depends. My gadwall took about 18 months
Same for me...
Posted By: Leonten Re: Preferred mounting style - 02/11/17
My taxidermist said 2 to 3 months but he has a unique way of doing the mount. He only does a full body mount. He invented a new process the mounts are freeze dried just like your frost free freezer. Right now he's doing a bobcat for me. It's going to cost $525.
© 24hourcampfire