Home
Posted By: Odessa Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 12/22/17
Just ordered a case of 12 GA, 3" 1-1/4 oz. Federal Black Cloud FS steel (redesigned) from Rogers. Appears Federal has made the wad flexible for use in all types of choketubes. Anyone shoot these improved shells yet? I only have one box of the old ones left - hope the new ones work as well.
Posted By: byd Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 12/22/17
So you can shoot the new Black Cloud with a ported choke .
Yes, they are supposed to be usable in any type of choke. Haven't used any myself.
I have been shooting Winchester Blind Sides for several years with much success. One of my duck hunting buddies tried some Black Clouds last year and he was very impressed. I guess he killed a cripple at an extended range that his Blind Sides were just ruffling the feathers on. I think I will give some Black Clouds a try this year.
I patterned at least 8 different loads from Federal, Winchester, Remmy for ducks...

Black cloud di the best so that’s what I shoot - I have a SBE

I haven’t tried the new stuff yet,
I'm very interested in the results of the new Blackclouds also. Still shooting the old ones. Sooner or later I'll be out.
Never cared for back cloud, but tried a box of hevi x yesterday was killed a black duck stone dead at a range i should have been using a rifle at
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/03/18
I have black cloud and Hevi Shot but haven't used the hevi shot yet. Black Cloud is mixed for me. I've taken limited number of waterfowl being this is the first real year I actually am hunting for waterfowl. Managed 2 geese, 2 mallards, and 1 teal thus far.
I still have half a case of the old shells, but went and bought two boxes of the new. I'm going on a three day goose hunt in Kansas starting Saturday . I will get back with my result and opinion.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/04/18
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I still have half a case of the old shells, but went and bought two boxes of the new. I'm going on a three day goose hunt in Kansas starting Saturday . I will get back with my result and opinion.

Thanks, looking forward to your evaluation.
We just finished our three day goose hunt in Kansas. The new and improved Blackclouds shot and performed just like the old shells. Same dense pattern, same hard hitting killers. If you haven't used them you need to try them. We convinced a new member of our group of 4 to try them and now he's a believer. He had a cripple swimming a way at about 70 yards. He shot it with his loads of BB and it kept swimming. I shot it with the Blackclouds and it died! I gave him a half a box and noticed the difference.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/10/18
Thanks Louie, that is great to hear. I have not tried any of the Improved version yet, still have one box of the old shells to finish up before I get into the new case.
Unbelievable! Mack’s Prarie Wings, in Stuttgart, Arkansas, doesn’t have a single box of Black Clouds. I’m glad I picked up a box a Bass Pro.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Unbelievable! Mack’s Prarie Wings, in Stuttgart, Arkansas, doesn’t have a single box of Black Clouds. I’m glad I picked up a box a Bass Pro.

Rogers Sporting Goods has good deals on them.
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/federal-steel.html
Posted By: Odessa Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/12/18
I ordered my case from Rogers just before Christmas, about $195.00 (to include the UPS shipment cost). Also got a $50 per case rebate from Federal; gets them down to about $15/box.
Thought it was time for some pics in this thread. These birds were shot with Blackclouds 2's and BB's in Kansas last Sunday, great hunt.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Banded in 2014 North Dakota when it was to young to fly.
Giant Canada's get me excited.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/13/18
Nice pictures Louie - looks like a meat market!
Posted By: byd Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/13/18
Louie what gun and choke did you use.
Originally Posted by byd
Louie what gun and choke did you use.

Benelli SBE II with a Rob Roberts T3 choke. I believe the T3 is improved modified or the tightest restriction recommended for steel shot. Most of the the shots were close enough for a lesser restricting choke. I tried to make head and neck shots at the geese which are easily the size of a dove.
Posted By: byd Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/14/18
nice gun and nice shooting
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/17/18
Tell us about the dog Chessy? Great shoot by the way!
Eli is a Lab and an absolute beast, he loves to hunt! He is 3 years old, and my friend and hunting buddies dog. He is actually his wife and two stepdaughters house dog. He started taking him hunting last year. This year he hunted him a lot more. Our guide in Kansas loves him and has no problem letting us bring him. He is not a field trial dog, but a great retriever and hunting companion. He is smart , has a great nose, and is not afraid of the water no matter how cold. He gets better every hunt.
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Black Cloud II (Improved)? - 01/18/18
Gotcha Louie, Looks like a great dog! Don't see a lot of reddish labs in our area. Looks like solid stock!
There was a Chessy on our Kansas hunt. This is me holding Stanley, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who owns one of the guides. Can't wait to see him work next year.
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire