Home
I would like to buy a couple of pellet rifles to use for practice in the back yard. I want something that is accurate enough so that the children can consistantly hit targets and not get discouraged. Looking for recommendations on what rifles to buy.
Air force Talon or similar with a scuba tank. No pumping necessary.
Since you specified accuracy, backyard and kids, here's my recommendation. The HW30 or R7 are nearly perfect. A couple of steps down in quality and price would be something like the Stoeger X5.
hangmancreek,

Thanks, yes I want something that my children can shoot off the back deck. I have just started looking and did not realize how many option were out there. I have a Benjamin 22 caliber that I have had for 30 years that still shoots great. I just want to find something that is ecomonical to shoot. I was thinking about spending around $200 on a rifle. Please let me know if you would have more suggestions based on my price range and application.
Ok, one more. A Bronco with a 4X Leapers scope. Easy to cock, nice trigger, quiet. From Pyramid Air it should be under $200. My 80 year old wife loves hers.
Used Daisy 853 from the CMP. As a bonus, the stock will fit kids, and is adjustable for LOP.

The kids I've known do better when they have their own, even if that means a Red Ryder for each of them. They don't seem too impressed by the concerns of adult airgun loonies. Something from Walmart, pneumatic, rifled barrel and beware the magazine feed only guns as the single shots can be easier to use. Lots of fun ahead for you all.
How old are the kids?

When they are small, they can't cock a spring piston gun or pump an air gun very well.

What I found when my kids were little is that while a red rider sorely lacks precision accuracy or power, it will consistently knock over a dixie cup at 20-30 feet which seems to be plenty entertaining for young kids. You really don't need a precision air rifle to teach them the basics of handling a rifle and hitting a target, nor do you need to put the targets too far away.
Youngest is 8 years old, 10,and 14. We have a red ryder, cheap pump, and my benjamin 392.
If they are passed the Red Ryder (I still have one) check out the Daisy PowerLine Model 880. Much easier to pump than the Benji but it will hit hard enough to impress any healthy young back yard maniac.
Beman R7 - just spend the money once and enjoy.
Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire