Home
anybody have recommendations? plywood? hay bales?
thanks,
kstockfo
I cut up a piece of hardie-backer, because I had it available.
Plywood will work depending on the distance and power of your gun. Plaster it with duct seal putty (~2$ each brick at Lowes or any hardware store, you will need about 10 depending on target size) and it will stop pellets silently.

Google "silent pellet trap" and there are a lot of variations. Pellets get stuck in the putty and don't bounce off. Bow targets can work too, but take up more space and the duct seal was cheaper. Rubber Mulch works too.
House cats make nice backstops. I'm joking cat lovers!

I've used plumbers putty for backing in homemade pellet traps. You should be able to find lots of ideas with a google search.

Ballistic gelatin would work - and you could melt it down and sell the lead for scrap - might pay for a six-pack of A&W Root Beer (My favorite!)

Terry
I built a plywood box, approx 2' by 2' with an angled back (I based my design off the metal one in the link below, but made it larger and deeper) and within the roof of the box set about halfway from the front, I installed a rod with alligator clips attached that I can hang typical mail order catalogs from. I just print out targets online to attach to the front of the catalogs. Before this I used a commercial steel pellet trap and the impact was louder than the gun itself. The catalogs are easily replaced when they get shot up. I've used this setup in the backyard and a garage and almost never have a pellet get through the magazines and haven't had any ricochets outside the box.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...DIIXEaAleE8P8HAQ&kpid=prod9999005907
Forget all that. Build yourself a box of a suitable area to hold a 1" or so layer of Duct Seal Putty--

Linky

It's available in 1# and 5# packages (for subsequent refills). You'll have a *silent* pellet trap that will last for quite a long spell....

If you have any bow hunting buddies ask them to save their old block targets when they are up for replacement. You might have to inject some spray foam insulation or cram some duct seal in it but they work well for stopping pellets even when they aren't stopping arrows from the latest super duper compound.
I bought a arrow stop for my son to shoot his bow into. It worked great, so I purchased a second one, built a box out of some old 3/4" plywood that I had laying around. Worked great!

I even shout a few .22 lr rounds into it. Nothing ever penetrated more than about 6". The stop was 24" thick.

Just a thought.

Good luck with your upcoming project.

Jeff
I use an electrical box with duct seal. You can also shot into a 5 gallon bucket with carpet, rags or magazines stuffed in the back.
Dirt. In boxes if you have to, a pile with backing and sides if you can get away with a sloped front. Why are you in a subdivision?
$60 pellet traps do a good job of trapping pellets.

Travis
Fill a scrap cardboard box with old newspapers. Pack them tightly and they will stop/capture your pellets, which you can reuse if you're as cheap as I am.
Originally Posted by norske
Fill a scrap cardboard box with old newspapers. Pack them tightly and they will stop/capture your pellets, which you can reuse if you're as cheap as I am.

Cloth rags work best...
Duct seal is quiet and reuseable. I have filled the bak of a square gallon can with duct seal and use this to sight in in the house. I have a 2' X 2" 3/4" plywood board as a safety prop. Wife doesnt hear it or worry about it.
© 24hourcampfire