Home
Posted By: SpenceG Big bore getting a workout - 01/17/16
Decided to try my hand at big bore airgun hunting, since I've tried about everything else. This is a tuned Sam Yang .45, shooting a 243g cast REAL bullet at 760fps, producing 311 ft lbs of energy. The deer was a 62 yard heart shot, pigs through the lungs and spine at 35 and 57 yds. All pass throughs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Big bore getting a workout - 01/17/16
That's pretty darn good for just trying your hand! Do you cast your bullets out of pure lead or hard?
Posted By: SpenceG Re: Big bore getting a workout - 01/17/16
I tried with pure lead and wheelweights, they came out the same weight. Never tried hard cast, as everything I read points to a better bore seal/velocity/accuracy using soft lead.
Good hunting!

Killed 2 hogs in the past week with my 357 Bulldog at 85 and 95 yards.

You are right to stay away from the hard cast lead. The rifling on airguns is shallower, and soft lead seals better.
Great Hunting! Love furniture on that SamYang .45 I haven't seen one quite like that on before.

Who did your tune, and didn't anyone tell you that you need at least 1000fpe to kill a deer? LOL!

I never liked to shoot anything harder than BHN9 in mine, which is not real soft in airgun terms, but very soft in firearm terms. I loose about ten feet per second on average with them, but accuracy sometimes improves, along with possibly penetration. BHN9 boolits are also much easier to find, and cheaper to buy in bulk, too.
Butcher45
Still shooting bobcats??. Cheers NC
Posted By: Nilwod Re: Big bore getting a workout - 01/26/16
I just bought a Dragon Claw 500cc dual tank model. Planning on sending it away to Will (is that who you sent it to?)and getting a tune done. I think the quality of the Sam Yang is second to none. PA does not offer airgun season, but want to take to a preserve. Awesome air rifle It is really refreshing to see someone posting "nice" pics. Great Job! Photo's tell a lot about how a hunter respects the animal. Again, well done, congrats.
Originally Posted by northcountry
Butcher45
Still shooting bobcats??. Cheers NC

Haven't been out after them for a couple years.......life stuff. I'm putting together a muzzleloader (so I won't have to pass on a cougar should I see one), and have experienced some delays in receiving the scope. I am confident the scope issue will be getting resolved here pretty quick.......just not in time to work-up a load for Bobcat season.

When this muzzleloader gets up and running, I will renew my hunting efforts by hunting Mountain Lions and coyotes all year long.
Posted By: RJM Re: Big bore getting a workout - 03/04/16
...THAT is impressive....

Bob
Nice scope choice too. Most airgunners seem to think they need a Hubble on top.

The lady at our DNR told me that airguns are legal here for small game, even though it's not in the book. I doubt that they'll ever be legal for deer as the wheels grind very slowly here.
© 24hourcampfire