Home
The law where I'm building my house allows for coyote hunting year round with no limit. My county says I can't shoot a rifle within 1500 yards of a dwelling, or an air gun within 500 ft of a house without permission. I won't have permission because some of my neighbors love to see coyotes. Unfortunately they have no fear of humans, so I need an air rifle that will handle coyotes within 50-100 yards, which is outside 500ft but within 1500ft. The coyotes are starting to lure small dogs and children, so it's time to take care of a few of them. What do I need?
Posted By: jimy Re: I need to kill coyotes in CO. - 02/05/16
Better neighbors or new even new ones, life is to short to spend it surrounded by idiots.
This oughta do.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Bulldog_357_Bullpup_Shrouded/3592
Posted By: pal Re: I need to kill coyotes in CO. - 02/05/16
Originally Posted by jetjockey
...I need an air rifle that will handle coyotes within 50-100 yards, which is outside 500ft but within 1500ft...

You have a much bigger problem than coyotes. 100 yards is only 300 feet.

Anyway, fuggetaboutit.
If you need powerful and quiet, get a Benjamin Marauder .25 caliber.

[Linked Image]

Call them in, and shoot them at 50 yards or less.

"Shoot him in the head, Poot!" wink
Coyotes having been running up on folks patios. 50-100 yards should be PLENTY!
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

THIS, a 25 cal will handle yotes with a well placed shot. I killed one at 55 yards with my mod 25, he went right down. He wouldn't have went down any fast if hit with a 308
That .357 would be my choice. It pretty much equals a .38 Special, which ought to work.

The Brits have some .30s that will do for foxes, but I've never seen one here. Check the Fieldsports Channel.

That .357 is fairly loud. Don't be surprised if some of your "neighbors" complain.

EDIT: Pyramyd Air has .30 and .357 (9mm) airguns. 800-900 fps (AND DOLLARS!). Airguns of Arizona might have some too.
Posted By: JimH Re: I need to kill coyotes in CO. - 02/06/16
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

.25 Marauder,rangefinder & Strelok app on your phone- lots of fun,very quiet and accurate= end of coyote problem.
Can you conveniently own suppressors in CO? My suppressed subsonic Remington 541 is significantly quieter than my RWS 52 or 470, and both of those are .177 caliber.

[Linked Image]
If you're going to be an outlaw, might as well go big: .300 Blackout!

SSS

The OP didn't mention rules on shotguns, but a 3-inch load of Dead Coyote T shot is supposed to be good to 60-75 yards.
Do a live trap and relocate them. That is what you can tell your neighbors.
The thing is, I don't want to purposefully piss off my neighbors. If I do piss them off however, I want to make sure I'm legal if the cops show up. That way I can tell the neighbors to kiss my azz if I need to. So it's kind of a catch 22. All the lots in the development around my house are 5-10 acres, but we only have scrub oak for cover. If we had trees where they couldn't see me, I'd be popping off my 22 all day, unfortunately, I won't have trees for concealment. Since an air rifle is perfectly legall, that's my best option. Plus, when I go home to the PNW, I can truely be an outlaw with it shooting sealions that try and steal our salmon.
Posted By: JimH Re: I need to kill coyotes in CO. - 02/07/16
Get the Marauder and thank us later!
Posted By: pal Re: I need to kill coyotes in CO. - 02/07/16
...I can truely be an outlaw with it shooting sealions that try and steal our salmon.

That is also illegal (and unnecessary).
Ya, but they are a worse problem than coyotes! Then again, you probably haven't seen what they an do to a run of fish. My favorite river to fish growing up has no steelhead left because of "Herschel" the sealion. They need to be controlled just like any other predator, and there is absolutely no reason they are protected. They die of led poisoning quite often during the spring when it's foggy out.
I would love to hunt sea lions!
Sea lions are definitely in the "bad federal laws made 50 years ago" category, together with the wild burros. A real problem with an easy solution. When ignorance becomes an opinion you end up with this silliness.
I'm sure that you have a good reason to live there and I feel your pain, but I personally can't see myself living like that.

Way too much control for me to live under.

Good luck with the yotes!
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
I'm sure that you have a good reason to live there and I feel your pain, but I personally can't see myself living like that.

Way too much control for me to live under.

Good luck with the yotes!

Well I'm currently living in the South, and my goal before I leave is to reserect Sherman so he can roll through the place one more time so we can start over. Why anyone would want to live in this place is beyond me! But since my opinion of the chit hole where you choose to live has nothing to do with this post, Its pretty much irrelevant.
Oh...
So you're one of those Obama supporters huh?

Shoulda known. Anybody who'd vote for him and build a house in a place like that shouldn't be allowed to even own a real gun anyway.

I live in lotsa places. Right now I'm in the great state of Texas for awhile. Just left Wyoming, Idaho and Nevada. Was actually in 5 different countries in just the first half of last year. I get around, and I work and hunt all over the world, but at my place in Mississippi I do whatever I please, including ringing steel anytime I wish right out my back door. I certainly don't have to ask permission to shoot my guns.

Let the coyotes eat your [bleep] ass I say.
Ya, but they are a worse problem than coyotes! Then again, you probably haven't seen what they an do to a run of fish. My favorite river to fish growing up has no steelhead left because of "Herschel" the sealion.

Cedar?

I know 20 guys who'd have loved to plant a projectile between Herchell's eyes......

In regards to CO coyotes..... it is also unlawful to shoot them with a pellet rifle, as there's a "method of take" requirement and air rifles are specifically prohibited unless they changed it this year. You can't even legally shoot rabbits with an air rifle in CO. I had a little run-in with a Warden regarding that very thing. He hassled me about my Benjamin .22 Discovery.... so I went back to the truck and came back with a 7 Mag.... as that's "legal" to hunt with.... he didn't think it was funny.

Starlings, Collared Doves, and English House Sparrows are the only species you can legally take with a pellet.
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
Oh...
So you're one of those Obama supporters huh?

Shoulda known. Anybody who'd vote for him and build a house in a place like that shouldn't be allowed to even own a real gun anyway.

I live in lotsa places. Right now I'm in the great state of Texas for awhile. Just left Wyoming, Idaho and Nevada. Was actually in 5 different countries in just the first half of last year. I get around, and I work and hunt all over the world, but at my place in Mississippi I do whatever I please, including ringing steel anytime I wish right out my back door. I certainly don't have to ask permission to shoot my guns.

Let the coyotes eat your [bleep] ass I say.

I'm sure you have some goats you do whatever you please with as well!! It is Mississippi you know! At least it's not your cousin.. Or maybe it is?
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Ya, but they are a worse problem than coyotes! Then again, you probably haven't seen what they an do to a run of fish. My favorite river to fish growing up has no steelhead left because of "Herschel" the sealion.

Cedar?

I know 20 guys who'd have loved to plant a projectile between Herchell's eyes......

In regards to CO coyotes..... it is also unlawful to shoot them with a pellet rifle, as there's a "method of take" requirement and air rifles are specifically prohibited unless they changed it this year. You can't even legally shoot rabbits with an air rifle in CO. I had a little run-in with a Warden regarding that very thing. He hassled me about my Benjamin .22 Discovery.... so I went back to the truck and came back with a 7 Mag.... as that's "legal" to hunt with.... he didn't think it was funny.

Starlings, Collared Doves, and English House Sparrows are the only species you can legally take with a pellet.

Yep, the Cedar! Grew up in Hobart!

I guess I need to find something quiet enough so the neighbors won't get curious, and the coyotes wont make it off my land..
© 24hourcampfire