Home
Posted By: IA_fog Help me pick a air rifle - 02/28/16
Ok guys I moved to a subdivision from the country and looking for a accurate simple deadly air gun for play and ground squirrel and sparrows
What should I look at ? Money I understand I have to pay to play
Posted By: LostArra Re: Help me pick a air rifle - 02/28/16
I like springers but I live in the country so noise is not a factor.
I just like the convenience of cock, load and fire.
RWS Diana 34 will get the job done.
Beeman R9/ HW 95 is a step up in springers.
Springers take a little practice in technique due to the type of recoil but ammo is cheap. Springer recoil can destroy a scope so be sure to look at models rated for air rifles.

Someone will chime in on PCP models which are deadly and quieter but more equipment is needed for air source.

Air rifles are addicting.
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Ok guys I moved to a subdivision from the country and looking for a accurate simple deadly air gun for play and ground squirrel and sparrows
What should I look at ? Money I understand I have to pay to play

It depends...you might want to check to the legality of shooting critters in & around your yard.

If you're willing to spend the money for a pump, the marauder is a hard act to follow. Spring for the extras like a custom transfer port, B-staley mod & custom shroud, http://www.marmotmilitia.com/store.html the mods are easily done...my next one will be a .25 caliber.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Help me pick a air rifle - 03/04/16
Tons of options as has already been pointed out. I like spring guns for general plinking and pest hunting. The RWS 34 and Beeman R9 that LostArra mentioned are both good general use guns are a step up over the made in China spring guns.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Help me pick a air rifle - 03/04/16
Air Arms TX200 is a solid adult air rifle. It is a standard for competition and hunting game in Europe where real firearms are restricted. It is a springer, so no need for air bottles. If you want to go PCP, then a AA510 is a nice unit. There are lots of good choices after you get used to the relative high price tags. In the long run they are cheaper than a quality 22 rimfire when you consider quality ammo cost. Lower power will allow you to shoot indoors, and in suburbia.
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: Help me pick a air rifle - 03/05/16
Get a HW 95 in .177. The Mercedes of the springers. You're Grandchildren will be using it. On sale right now @ Air Guns of Arizona.
Subdivision...think about noise, if you think the neighbors won't cooperate. Some springers can be pretty noisy.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Help me pick a air rifle - 03/29/16
How far out will you shoot critters?
I was shooting my HW30s yesterday in the backyard without any problems. Plenty accurate for fun and relatively quiet for a springer, one holer if I get decent hold and rest and still settling with the first tin of pellets.
You can have them in .177 or 22, along with the more powerful lineup HW50 and the mentioned HW95, which will give 12ft-lbs in .22, quite a whack and maybe loud if neighbors are close.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Help me pick a air rifle - 04/08/16
My next will be an air arms TX200
In South Africa Air Rifles are very popular and this is the one to own! I've never owned one myself, but have shot one lots of times.

I love this this rifle, it's as well build as a Rolex watch and an absolute joy to shoot. In South Africa almost everyone uses .177 caliber. When I buy one it will be in .22 for sure. The only one I have seen in RSA in .22 caliber was astonishing, I think it is actually as powerful as a .22 short, possibly longer range accuracy though. .22 shorts are not very accurate at 75 yard.

I've shot frankolin which are bigger then quail smaller then grouse with this rifle in .22 and it just flattens them on the spot. Out to 25-35 yards it's simply deadly on any small critter from spring hares and rabbits, to Head shooting Vervet monkeys. They are about the size of a Raccoon.

Google this rifle, you will be impressed!

If you want to spend a little more, but well worth it. PCP is the way to go. My vote is for the Benjamin Marauder in 22 cal. Very quiet and very accurate for me 50 yards plus. Some out to 100 yards. It really is a no brainer for me. I could not keep scopes on my springer. And they were Leupold for air rifles.
© 24hourcampfire