Home
What are the laws concerning marijauna use and possesion in Canada?
It's illegal,you can be charged with possesion of a controled substance up to a certain amount( a couple grams) beyond that amount you will be charged with possesion with intent to traffic a more serious offence.But I don't think the penalties are stiff enough!!!
I just remember hearing about a big push to legalize it up there a few years ago.
Oh ya the cronic users and abusers are always trying to get it de-criminalized, the scumbags who proffit from the drug trade don't want it legalized they would loose to much money so they push for de-criminalization.
Mr. Rog;
Welcome to the Campfire from the Okanagan.

Thanks for answering the question, as I had no clue really about pot except that it is a real problem in these parts. All drugs are of course a concern, but the culture of trafficking and all the side effects is not positive to any community.

I don�t really know what the answer is, but I do know this isn�t working real well. frown

Anyway again, welcome from south central BC.

Regards,
Dwayne
It's legal to have up to a certain amount (I think 2 oz, but I may be off) here in Alberta. This law was put into place around 6 years ago IIRC.
All cannabis is illegal in Canada. Possession of less than 30 grams (1 ounce) is a summary conviction offence, and as such fingerprints are not taken. Over 30 grams, fingerprints can be taken. Possession for the purposes of trafficking requires more evidence than just amount unless the amount is so big it couldn't be personal use.

I did a fair amount of drug enforcement during my 30 year career.
It's techically illegal to posess it. Just like it's technically illegal to spit on most streets.

The cops have realized wasting time busting people for posession is a waste of time and effort. Judges have realized that the harm done by the substance is much smaller than the harm done by a sentence.

Prohibition has never worked - any time - any place - for anyone - for any substance.

It's time to end the farce.
Criminalizing marijuana just makes it profitable for criminals to become involved in the trade. Individuals growing a small amount should be legal.
You BC boys are really pushing for legalization, eh? Anything to do with being from a "green" province? grin
Pick the 'shrooms instead. As long as you don't sell them, they're legal.
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Pick the 'shrooms instead. As long as you don't sell them, they're legal.

That's funny.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You BC boys are really pushing for legalization, eh? Anything to do with being from a "green" province? grin

Jordan;
Hello there, I hope this finds you and yours well on this hot long weekend.

I'm not sure what the answer is Jordan, but as I said in my previous post, the side effects of having an illegal black market activity thriving in some of our communities likely brings the issue much closer to home for us in BC.

I could fill volumes with my own grow op stories Jordan and in the main they are tales of woe.

Its a real pain hunting or chasing cows in the hills and bumping into the mess they leave behind. Of course they don't close gates or give a rotund rodent's rectum what kind of snares they leave for the livestock - horses or cattle, either. mad

Some days it seems to me the only thing we're accomplishing with the current legislation is making a super rich class of criminals, you know?

Anyway, I believe its just because we BC folk bump into it all too frequently Jordan, not the burning desire to legally fire up a rocket on the way to work! shocked

Have a good long weekend.
Dwayne
Hi Dwayne,
I was just yanking yer guys' chain since the two posters before me advocated legalization and happened to both be from BC! smile

You're not going to stop these guys from doing pot, why not legalize it and bring the market value down 1000% wink
Jordan;
I did take your response that way, but sometimes I answer in �long hand� anyway. Sorry about that, eh?

I am getting closer all the time to thinking that legalization is a viable option and I�ll tell you honestly that 10 years ago I wouldn�t have envisioned even considering it. Some of my LEO friends privately agree as well.

Are you folks hot there too? We hit 38 or 39 yesterday in the shade when I got back from work at 4:00pm. We�re at 35 already today � no flaming hot icon! frown

Well again I hope you and yours have a good long weekend.

Say, you must feel deserted there across the hill, no? Most of Alberta appears to be here in Vernon, Kelowna or Penticton � and we�re darn happy to have them finally arrive!

Have a good one,
Dwayne
Dwayne,
Yeah it's hot here, but not nearly as hot as it is there! I think it's been about 29-30 here the last few days, and today it's supposed to get up to a high of 32 degrees. You guys must be dying out there!

Pretty much the entire city of Calgary is gone to BC for the weekend, which means less traffic and more reloading components available in the stores for me smile

I hope you enjoy your long-weekend as well.

Take care,
Jordan
The amounts of money that the drug trade generates is a problem.From the payoffs to the reluctance to clamp down hard.Whole area economies would go down.I know of one interior town with a small sawmill and lots of new pickups.
I'm not a pot smoker, can't stand the stuff, but it's really not the evil stuff that ruins lives that we are led to believe by some people.

I think it should be legalized and regulated like alcohol and tobacco. It's really not any more "dangerous" than beer or whiskey.

Get the criminal element out of it, grow it and sell it to authorized distributors, etc.

Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I know of one interior town with a small sawmill and lots of new pickups.

Edgewood...........???

Actually seen an older style station wagon with Alberta plates and full of hippy looking dudes last week-end. Written in the dirt on the back window was, "Edgewood or Bust".

Pretty sure they weren't in town for the sites......... grin
I could care less about the pot and the smokers.It's these meth house's that scare me.
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
The amounts of money that the drug trade generates is a problem.From the payoffs to the reluctance to clamp down hard.Whole area economies would go down.I know of one interior town with a small sawmill and lots of new pickups.

Gotta be Hixon.

I'd say it's pretty leagle in BC when you can drive down the hiway and see a sign with a big green MJ leaf on it with the words "you pick" !!!!!

and a quick search found many of these sites http://bcmarijuanaseeds.com/
ya me too those people are psycotic had meth freaks for nieghbors for about a month yuck!!!
Wow, I am surprised by some of the responses that I got from this question. I hate to say it but, I think most Americans assume that canada is weed friendly. High times ranks canada among the ranks of amsterdam as far as tolerance goes. I guess I should stop smoking and stop reading high times and actually go to canada some day. To fish not smoke weed.
Drugs are a scourge up here, I worked with a guy who was into crack? I think, he would "come down" and be so lethargic he would fall asleep between cants coming off the scragg saw he ran the bull edger. I wish canada be known for its hospitality, fishing anything but marijana.
I am sure that drugs are a problem in canada. I only smoke weed though. I have never been to canada but I think its safe to say that the drug problem in the US is far worse. I live in north eastern Pennsylvania. A nice secluded part of the US. We have more heroin down here than you could imagine. Northern New Jersey is right next to us. It has the most potent heroin in the country. A little south of here we have Philly and baltimore. They look like war zones and that where a lot of the dope comes in. Heroin, coke, crack, and every other drug you could imagine. Newark and Elizabeth NJ is where most of the heroin comes from in my area. Port citties. I know so much about it because my sister passed away from a heroin overdose. I dont support hard drugs at all. Just weed.
the problem with"just smokin weed" but not suportng other drugs is thisweed is the big money drug for organized crime seriosly thew same people make profit off weed as crack or whatever. give up the weed bro cause you're supportin s.o.b's like the H.A and other scumbags
if it was legal i could grow it in my back yard and no crime organization would profit.
Originally Posted by PacMan
Wow, I am surprised by some of the responses that I got from this question. I hate to say it but, I think most Americans assume that canada is weed friendly. High times ranks canada among the ranks of amsterdam as far as tolerance goes. I guess I should stop smoking and stop reading high times and actually go to canada some day. To fish not smoke weed.

Canada is reasonably tolerant of marijuana, compared ot the USA.

For instance, you aren't going ot go to jail for simple possesion of pot, and most likely you won't do much time (if any) for growing it. Growing it in your back yard isn't even going to get noticed, unless it was dozens of plants.
I don't care one way or the other. I am not opposed to legalization. If nothing else, it allows pot production and distribution to pay it's own way. It allows government to establish a brand new bureaucracy and provide jobs to some who are inclined that way.
I have lost as many friends and family members to alcoholism as to any other cause and seen more damage as a result of it. Nonetheless, production, distribution, advertising, etc., of alcholic beverages is considered beneficial enough to society that the trade off is worth it. It is certain that legal alcohol production is less socially damaging than illegal production and distribution was.
In a sense, we, as a society, have made a similar decision regarding legalized gambling. The "collateral damage" is acceptable given the percieved socio-economic benefits to otherwise marginalized communities.
I expect we will see a move toward legalization in Canada before we will in the US but I think it's likely we'll see it in both countries in my lifetime.
By the way, I was in the US Army in 1969-71 and I would guess that at least 70% of my fellow soldiers were VERY tolerant of marijuana use! GD
95% of the pot grown in BC is exported to the States.The organized crime groups that run the grow ops get cash,cocaine,and illegal handguns in return which fortunately they mostly use to shoot each other.The cocaine is NOT good for you and for that reason I would like to see decriminalization for small quantities(personal use),and hard time for the big grow op operators.I doubt the US market will ever dissapear,so those people in Canada who say the legalization of pot would make our gang problem go away are talking through their hats.Selling hard drugs should = hard time. They ruin peoples lives,I know. Monashee
Originally Posted by greydog
I don't care one way or the other. I am not opposed to legalization. If nothing else, it allows pot production and distribution to pay it's own way. It allows government to establish a brand new bureaucracy and provide jobs to some who are inclined that way.
I have lost as many friends and family members to alcoholism as to any other cause and seen more damage as a result of it. Nonetheless, production, distribution, advertising, etc., of alcholic beverages is considered beneficial enough to society that the trade off is worth it. It is certain that legal alcohol production is less socially damaging than illegal production and distribution was.
In a sense, we, as a society, have made a similar decision regarding legalized gambling. The "collateral damage" is acceptable given the percieved socio-economic benefits to otherwise marginalized communities.
I expect we will see a move toward legalization in Canada before we will in the US but I think it's likely we'll see it in both countries in my lifetime.
By the way, I was in the US Army in 1969-71 and I would guess that at least 70% of my fellow soldiers were VERY tolerant of marijuana use! GD

Comparing weed to booze is like comparing apples to celery. Its 1,000 times safer. I never did anything stupid while I was high on weed. I am high right now. I have been a cronic smoker since age 14. I am an honest hard working individual. I go to work and school everday. I get good grades and pay my bills. I just want a little reffer at the end of the day. Some guys like a few brews and I like a few puffs of the icky sticky.
So you want a puff after work fair enough, I like a beer after work. My issue with MOST pot smokers is they want to get high at work! I don't like working with anyone under the influence of anything, I was an industrial first aid attendant for a number of years and the druggies and drunks were allways hurting themselves. Oh by the way I've seen lots of pot smokers while high do plenty of stupid dangerous things, but if you can keep your habit at home I'll mind my own buisness
I get good and blazed before school and I have a 3.85. The lowest grade I have gotten so far was a B. However, I am switching my major to nursing and I have to get drug tested before I am accepted into the nursing program. Bummer, I have to stop toking.
Thanks for the feedback. That is very useful.
Cheers and we look forward to your Forum Favourites selections!
[color:rgb(97%, 97%, 97%)][u]plan solution commission de surendettement[/u][/color][color=rgb(97%, 97%, 97%)] - commission de surendettement, vous pouvez demander un dossier de surendettement.[/color][color=rgb(97%, 97%, 97%)][u]plan solution commission de surendettement[/u][/color]
Originally Posted by PacMan

Comparing weed to booze is like comparing apples to celery. Its 1,000 times safer. I never did anything stupid while I was high on weed. I am high right now. I have been a cronic smoker since age 14. I am an honest hard working individual. I go to work and school everday. I get good grades and pay my bills. I just want a little reffer at the end of the day. Some guys like a few brews and I like a few puffs of the icky sticky.
What a loser!
Originally Posted by Tom264
What a loser!

laugh grin
© 24hourcampfire