Home
I've taken note of a couple of popular cop shows that appear to be filmed in Canada. Rookie Blue and Flashpoint, I could be wrong but the emblems and uniform styles look Canadian to me. Of course I'm not an expert at anything Canadian, but one thing that jumped out at me was that cops in these shows don't wear badges. I wondered about this and I googled several Canadian police organizations and just browsed the pictures and didn't see anyone wearing a badge. The pictures of RCMP mounties are also without badges. So apparently cops don't need no stinking badges in Canada as they have traditionally been used and in many instances required in the US. So can anyone enlighten me on this socialogical phenom or are my observations wrong. CH
You are right, we dont wear our badges on our uniforms. I cant think of any police agency here that does.
But they do wear handguns.
A lot of forces carry badges in a walet that also carries the warrent card. I would think the uniform, the cruiser and the verbal identification would give the officer's occupation away. If asked for identification the officer will oblige.

In general terms we as a citizenry respect and support our police services.

Randy
What cabbage leaf were you hatched under, Brother? grin Bet you I could recount more than a few instance where the converse was just as true. wink

But generally, Randy is right. Off duty and plain clothes, a badge is a real necessity for identification and more than the badge is the warrant card, authorizing the officer to do certain things. I always carried it even while in uniform, and was asked for it once by a distraught mental patient who wouldn't go with the officers in uniform without a badge. I "tinned" him, and a stressful situation was laid to rest.

I think the badge was instituted to identify LEO's before they wore uniforms, and it just kind of stuck south of the 49th, but not up here.
chickasaw hunter;
When I first read your post I was thinking, sure they wear badges up here if they're not RCMP......

Then I started to think about it and while my friends in LE do carry badges in their wallet, they aren't on the uniform. blush

Funny how you don't notice things unless they're pointed out to you sometimes?

Our BC Conservation Officers don't have badges on their uniforms either - well I don't think so anyway, though I do admit I'm questioning my memory now! confused

I believe you're correct about the TV shows being Canuck by the way.

Thanks for the "memory jog" and I hope you and yours have a good weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne
our soldiers wear badges
I asked a cop a while ago,why police don't seem to wear their hats anymore.the answer I got was that hats make them too easy to spot on the street.They used to all wear hats and badges.r
I started my LE career in Texas over 40 years ago and at time the state law required an officer to have a badge on his cap and on his uniform. I am correct on using the pronoun him since at the time it was all hims. Our supervisors were always on us to have our hats on when out of the vehicle and it was for identification. If you were in a dark ally at night they wanted us to be readily identifiable. There was a history of more than one officer killed and the defendant claiming they didn't know it was the police, just a guy in the dark with a gun. But like I said I'm no expert on things Canadian, I've only been there once and they treated me like a foreigner, but they did take my US dollar without any problems grin They let me in free but charged me to leave and I could pay in either currency. But back on point, the cops I've seen in those shows are walking around in BDU's, with guns strapped on, ball caps, military style boots, but no badges, without the badges it looks like just an ordinary weekend at Bass Pro down here. I know it's all in what your used to and it sure seems foregin to me cops without badges. Well thanks to all for setting me straight. But now it begs the question do the Police in Great Britton wear badges, is this something that springs from that tradition or is it something you Canucks evolved to on you own. CH
Ah, the old hat badge. Yep, we sure did have one of those, kinda handsome too. I'll see if I can get a picture.

Here it is, poor quality pic, but gives you the idea.

[Linked Image]
Here in Calgary we dont have to wear our hats but if we are doing certain things we are required to by policy. I think the RCMP are still required to wear their hats if outside of the car, but I could be mistaken on that.
Never seen one worn in a car yet????
When I was visiting Waterton Lakes Park in Alberta, I stopped in the town of Pincher Creek. The cops were in uniform, but wore no handguns. I saw only a baton and pepper spray. Also, if anyone is ever in Picher Creek, they have the absolute worst chinese food on Mother Earth.
Ever eat Chinese food in Thumbler Ridge?
Originally Posted by AndyG
When I was visiting Waterton Lakes Park in Alberta, I stopped in the town of Pincher Creek. The cops were in uniform, but wore no handguns. I saw only a baton and pepper spray. Also, if anyone is ever in Picher Creek, they have the absolute worst chinese food on Mother Earth.

Those would have been the Park Wardens, not police. Waterton is covered by the RCMP and they would have had their side arm on, even when in their red Serge.
Sorry I wasn't clear. The police that I saw were eating at the chinese place in Pincher Creek. Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing a single Ranger in either Waterton or Glacier Parks. But I did eat at an awesome little place called Two Sister's Restaurant outside of Glacier National Park.
Our policy is that we never, repeat NEVER went anywhere outside the office without our full use of force package on, from ballistic vest, pepper spray, handcuffs, pistol, 2 spare mags, ASP -- the works - even the dreaded Taser, if the officer was qualified on it.

Often had a gun and didn't need it. Cannot fathom needing one and not having it. Period.
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Our policy is that we never, repeat NEVER went anywhere outside the office without our full use of force package on, from ballistic vest, pepper spray, handcuffs, pistol, 2 spare mags, ASP -- the works - even the dreaded Taser, if the officer was qualified on it.

Often had a gun and didn't need it. Cannot fathom needing one and not having it. Period.

Well that's understandable. Everyone knows about the dreaded Northwestern Ontario warlords and drug cartels.
They have to go through to get through. And some of the locals would make your Hatfields and McCoys look like Sunday schoolers. laugh And when your backup is 100 miles away, nice to have the 40 ounces of cold steel on the right hip. And I don't live in the city of brotherly love. wink
They have to go through to get through. And some of the locals would make your Hatfields and McCoys look like Sunday schoolers. laugh And when your backup is 100 miles away, nice to have the 40 ounces of cold steel on the right hip. And I don't live in the city of brotherly love. wink

Northwesten Ontario, home of feared criminals everywhere...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Philadelphia, peace and tranquility...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Well sir, if you choose to live in the dump you do, that is a choice with which you will need to live. As for me and my house, we will choose the country represented by your very admirable photographs.

Randy
The cops with no sidearms you saw in Pincher Creek may have been RCMP Auxiliary members. They are volunteers, no sidearms. I was a regular member until Sept. 2008, retired, then went back as a Reservist. I still work armed, though. I would never work as a uniformed police officer unless I was armed. Simple as that.
kjohn;
Welcome to the 'Fire from the south Okanagan.

I hadn't thought of auxiliaries until you mentioned them, but you could be correct.

They used to allow them to be armed here in BC, but they stuck with a Model 10 HB .38 Spl. if I recall right, even after the regular members had switched to the 9mm auto.

For some reason the decision came down to disarm them, perhaps 10 years back now and many of the more tenured auxiliaries quit at that point. According to a couple former auxiliaries and some retired members that I know quite well, many took the same viewpoint as you do about being armed when in uniform.

As a sad example, the constable that was shot in Russell a few years back, Cst. Dennis Strongquill, pretty much proved that isn't an unfounded concern either in my view. frown

As a by the way, my wife is from Russell and we used to farm east of Yorkton where I grew up, so I'm not too unfamiliar with some of eastern Saskatchewan though admittedly it has changed since we left there 26 years ago.

Have a good week and again welcome to the 'Fire.

Regards,
Dwayne
Originally Posted by kjohn
The cops with no sidearms you saw in Pincher Creek may have been RCMP Auxiliary members. They are volunteers, no sidearms. I was a regular member until Sept. 2008, retired, then went back as a Reservist. I still work armed, though. I would never work as a uniformed police officer unless I was armed. Simple as that.

Yes Sir. Welcome to the fire from another retired police officer - since the end of 2001. If I were to don the uniform again, there would be a full gamut of use of force equipment to go with it.
Thanks fellas, for the welcome. I was on my first day of a Christmas holiday when Dennis was killed. I also know the fellow whose truck they stole from the Dubuc area. He told me that, for some reason, his wife suggested that they go to the lake for the night. He agreed, and away they went. Had they stayed at home, they may well have in serious jeopardy at the hands of the scum that killed the member.
AndyG, it sure looks to me like the fishing would be much better in Ontario than around yo' residence. Just guessing....
I have been out so long, things have changed so much, but we used to carry our badge with our warrant card in our pocket, and our regular OPP badge with no number showing on our hats. If asked, and I never was, we showed it and gave our badge number to the person. I never worked plainclothes so cannot comment. And I always carried my badge, always. Glad to NOT be in police work today. We were respected.
Where did ya serve Donald, and how long ya been gone? I left the end of December 2001. Appointed 04 Oct 71.
I was at Wawa, Alban (French River) and Lindsay, Coboconk, always rural or semi rural, a lot of First Nations, then headquarters, back then it was on Lakeshore Drive (Toronto)
I spent my time all in Thunder Bay and Kenora Districts. The further I could stay away from GHQ the better I liked it. We probably know some of the same people from Wawa, Lindsay and Coboconk. Enjoy your retirement, friend.
Originally Posted by AndyG

Northwesten Ontario, home of feared criminals everywhere...

[Linked Image]

Philadelphia, peace and tranquility...

[Linked Image]

Ye gods... Photoshop out the car and it could be London during the Blitz. Maybe WC Fields has been misquoted and what he really said was, "All things considered, I rather be in Northwestern Ontario." (Or maybe here in B.C.)

smile Stuart
I spent my time all in Thunder Bay and Kenora Districts. The further I could stay away from GHQ the better I liked it. We probably know some of the same people from Wawa, Lindsay and Coboconk. Enjoy your retirement, friend.

Kenora?
hey shootist, ever meet a chief crown name of Don Mackenzie?
Cat
Pleased ot extend my fellowship and any appropriate ball busting to the Canuckian Contingent of Retarded Officers grin I've been retarded since 2004 and enjoy it greatly. Illegitimus non carborundum est!!!
Cat,

I think Mr McKenzie was a Judge the last I heard, but he has been deceased for quite some time, if it is the same man. He was a real outdoorsman and shooter. He once said, "The most important accesory a man should buy for a firearm is a car load of ammunition." Probably agree with that assessment. wink
Cat,

I think Mr McKenzie was a Judge the last I heard, but he has been deceased for quite some time, if it is the same man. He was a real outdoorsman and shooter. He once said, "The most important accesory a man should buy for a firearm is a car load of ammunition." Probably agree with that assessment. wink

THAT'S HIM!!
he was a very good friend of the family, My father and i hunted with him ad his son Dan,once.
Mr. Mackenzie's wife was a heckuva hunteress as well, they went to Africa a few times .
I remember a photo of Mrs. mackenzie sitting on a rhino that she had Whollopped!
Mr. Mackenzie died of Luekemia, he went into remittance for years, but even up to his death , Dad said he was planning yet another grouse hunt in Scotland. it was what kept him going, Dad said.
Cat
[quote=the_shootist]Cat,

I think Mr McKenzie was a Judge the last I heard, but he has been deceased for quite some time, if it is the same man. He was a real outdoorsman and shooter. He once said, "The most important accesory a man should buy for a firearm is a car load of ammunition." Probably agree with that assessment. wink [/quote
or tons of bullets and powder and the ability to roll your own.
Actually shot with Mr McKenzie on the line in Kenora a couple times. He was a very competitive shooter, and quick to offer advice and help. He lent me a madazine for a Browning pistol in one heat that we were shooting against each other. It was rumoured he was an exceptional shotgunner, but I never had occasion to witness that.

Randy
Originally Posted by mrguns
Actually shot with Mr McKenzie on the line in Kenora a couple times. He was a very competitive shooter, and quick to offer advice and help. He lent me a magazine for a Browning pistol in one heat that we were shooting against each other. It was rumoured he was an exceptional shotgunner, but I never had occasion to witness that.

Randy

Yes, he was a heckuva shotgunner!
A very gracious man, and his wife , son, and daughter were the same.
Cat
Just a quick comment from my perspective. The "badge" or more appropriately the shield is tradition hear in the U.S. and is worn on the left side over the heart which I know is anatomically incorrect. And as far as the hat goes we are required to wear it just as it is worn customarily in the military as my department is considered a para-military organization. Also studies have allegedly found that an officer wearing a hat is given more respect than one that doesn't just like a tie. According to statistics and you can take that how you like. Hats are fine and identify you as an authority figure during the routine daily grind but I assure you when it hits the fan the hat is left in the car. There is nothing tactical about it and in fact it acts like a target in a tactical situation.
The responses to this thread got me to wondering what about the Britts do they wear badges? I found the same as I found on my Canadian internet search. They don't appear to wear badges, with the exception to cap/helmet badges. Which I also found has a quite a history and significance. But it looks to me the Canadian police continued the uniform traditions of the Britt's and don't have badges like we are accustomed to down here. So that leads me to the question, what to the French do? CH
We learned a long time ago that a bright badge on your chest makes a pretty ggod target especially in low light if someone is inclined to throw a shot your way. The same applies to shiny belt buckles and name plates. Most uniforms have positive identification on the shoulders, a badge at the top of the forage cap or Stetson. An individual can request production of formal identification if he is in doubt.
Asking for ID to and officer is like throwing gasoline on a fire.
I have been known to ask for identification on various occasions in my career when the professionalism of the officer was lagging. As long as I was courteous a warrent card was produced and attitudes were adjusted. Patients were not aware I was working the officer, and I would tell the patient the officer was the real thing and that he was in charge.

I realise these werea controled (more or less) scenes and there were no emergent safety conditions present. The black and white cruiser and blue uniform is typically all that is needed for identification of police personell.

As paramedics the white/ yellow/ blue bus, first response kit, and defib kind of give us away. We are required to identify ourselves as paramedics and produce MOH identification when requested. Quality assurance types do spot checks, and if we are found to not have the ID on our person, we are sent home without pay. We all make sure we carry our ID.

When I first started 30 years ago the public opinion was not as positive as it is today. Getting into scuffles was quite frequently an occurrence in the late seventies, early eighties, but seldom occurrs now. Grant you I am older and wiser and a whole lot less chippy than I was then.

Attitude is the key for sure on both parties. Did you see the video of the guy the woman cop was kneeing in the back and pinning to the burning pavement, along with a few other dum cops. The guy was screaming in agony because the pavement was so hot you could fry eggs on it. Buddy had shorts on and a light armless t shirt. The more he screamed in agony the more the cops layed into him for resisting arrest. ?????Fricken morons.
Originally Posted by mrguns
Grant you I am older and wiser and a whole lot less chippy than I was then.

I just saw you a month or so ago , , , , , , you changed since then? grin
Well I am older and less chippy at least. You don't let me get away with any internet lying do you.
laugh
I let a lot slip by, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere. laugh
To add to the discussion a bit. As an RCMP trained in 1995/96 at 48 yrs. old, I didn't take too quickly to the "we used to do it this way back in the good old days" malarkey. The debate about us having to wear our forage caps raged back and forth. If we thought there was a commissioned officer around, we usually tried to keep one handy. In my case, it had nothing to do with disrespect nor disregard for the good old days. It had to do with having a hose clamp-like device on your head.

I only carried my badge for the first few days of my service, until an experienced member suggested that likely my uniform would give a reasonable form of identification.

Of course, what would I know. I did, however, survive 12 1/2 years as a regular member and another 5 years as a Reservist, armed the whole time, no badge on my clothing, and wearing my forage cap as little as possible. We were even given reprieve from having to wear a stupid tie with long sleeved shirts. That was a good move.
Here in the Commonwealth of Virginia the Criminal Code states the LEO must display a "Badge of Authority". While this is accomplished very easily by those who don a uniform, those working in a plain clothes capacity are required to physically show a badge upon placing a suspect under arrest. The courts have ruled the "Cloth" badges which are often worn on utility type uniforms meet the standard of the law, although most officers continue to display their metal badge in some capacity when wearing a BDU style uniform. As far as the hats, up until the early 1980's Troopers were required to wear their issued Campaign "Smoky" hats while IN THE CRUISER on patrol. This nonsense was stopped as cars got smaller, and quite frankly people got bigger. They are still required to don their campaign hat upon exiting the vehicle, except in emergency situations. Quite frankly it is a lot like brushing your teeth or tying your shoes, it becomes second nature, and you often feel "Naked" without your "Cover". Incidentally, I cannot remember the source, but there was a comprehensive study done with a large pool of inmates about police headgear. Collectively, it was determined the Campaign Style-Flat Brim/Phillips Head- Drill Instructor/Trooper style hat was the most "Persuasive" hat and elicited the most respect, and "Fear". While the individual wearing the hat to me has more of a bearing on this than the hat itself, the fact that you are dealing with a virtual stranger, but they have this type of headgear on invokes initial Fear/Respect. As far as Police Uniforms in the lower 48...for those who care...check out Rhode Island State Police! These units are certainly the poster child for ZZ-Tops "Sharp Dressed Man!!"

PS: 31 Days and a wake up and I'm going Spring Bear hunting, hell with a hat or a badge!
Pretty neat link to see all State Police/Highway Patrol uniforms. I was told the Rhode Island SP dress uniform cost roughly $2700 per set!

http://www.chpforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8680
© 24hourcampfire