Home
Posted By: BillR C-19 Senate Progress - 02/23/12
C-19 is currently scheduled for 2nd reading in the Senate on Tuesday, February 28 at 2:00 PM.
BillR
Posted By: Uncas Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 02/23/12
Fill us Yankees in Bill...
Nothing of importance.

It's part of the political process which we have to go through in Canada prior to the passage of a bill. In this case, to see the gun registry die.

A body of politically ineffectual people read the bill and pass on any recommendations to the House for implementation. The Senate cannot stop the passage of a bill. They can only slow it down.

Now go play with Joe in the Savage section, Billy.
Posted By: BillR Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 02/23/12
Bill C-19 will end the long gun registry in Canada. The bill has passed through parliament recently but must now pass through the senate (3 readings) and then receive royal assent to become law. It will also order the database destroyed. Possession of an unregistered firearm has been a criminal offence for over 10 years in Canada. Conviction has resulted in anything from minor fines to confiscation of all firearms owned to prohibition orders against the person.
It is a major step in fighting back the antifirearm legislation introduced by Conservatives and Liberals back in the early 1990s.
BillR
Posted By: Uncas Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 02/23/12
2.7 billion $ to figure out it does nothing as per the Mounties report. RIP. So, can we visitors bring our slingshots and swiss army knives over the border again, soon?
Posted By: BillR Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 02/29/12
For those of you who wish to read the debate at the second reading of C-19 in the Senate (Feb 28/2012).
Senator St. Germaine and the Hon. Anne C. Cools both spoke very well.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/Sen/Chamber/411/Debates/054db_2012-02-28-e.htm#53

BillR
Posted By: BillR Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/02/12
The wheels of the Senate are turning ... but slowly. The Senate does not meet again until Tuesday March 6. Debate on the second reading of C-19 will continue at 2:00 PM on that day.
BillR
Posted By: the_shootist Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/02/12
Thanks for the updates and link, Bill. Good reading.
Posted By: CanuckShooter Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/04/12
Originally Posted by BillR
For those of you who wish to read the debate at the second reading of C-19 in the Senate (Feb 28/2012).
Senator St. Germaine and the Hon. Anne C. Cools both spoke very well.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/Sen/Chamber/411/Debates/054db_2012-02-28-e.htm#53

BillR

Isn't the Senate really a farce?? It depends on which Political Party dominates there too. What is the point if the Conservative dominated Senate is just going to put on a show and pass what ever the Harperites put to them?? I'd vote to get rid of all those leeches. ;-)
Posted By: bearbacker Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/07/12
So, did the second reading happen yesterday? When is the third reading?

And this colonial also has another question: Is there amy problem obtaining royal assent?
Posted By: medicman Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/07/12
That is "normally" a foregone conclusion that assent will be given.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/08/12
2nd reading in the senate was on Feb 28, 2012. Passed 2nd reading.

Source Site -- C-19 Status
Posted By: boarguy Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/08/12
Originally Posted by the_shootist
2nd reading in the senate was on Feb 28, 2012. Passed 2nd reading.

Source Site -- C-19 Status

Wrong. The bill hasn't passed second reading yet. More debates today.
And people are making a big deal of this because...

It's history folks. Move on.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

It's not history until Bill C19 comes into force. I'm always leery of any government action, including this one.
If you don't like reading about it, move on. I'm just posting some facts. wink
It's history. The registry is dead. Over with. Done. Nothing on earth can save it. The beast has bled out. It is stiff. Bereft of live. If it wasn't for threads like this, the LGR would be just a bad memory.

It is unworthy of discussion. Beyond repair. Dead. It has dried up and blown away. It is a peanut butter and puss sammich. It has expired. Been liquidated. It is spiritless and stale.

Wanna keep it alive? Go post on Rabble.
Just following progress is all. Don't get your panties in a knot. smile

Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/08/12
It's history. The registry is dead. Over with. Done. Nothing on earth can save it. The beast has bled out. It is stiff. Bereft of live. If it wasn't for threads like this, the LGR would be just a bad memory.

It is unworthy of discussion. Beyond repair. Dead. It has dried up and blown away. It is a peanut butter and puss sammich. It has expired. Been liquidated. It is spiritless and stale.

Other than the fact that you'll still get in a heap of trouble from Canada's finest if you don't adhere to the LGR laws...

It ain't dead yet! But it's bleeding out.
Originally Posted by bearguide
Just following progress is all. Don't get your panties in a knot. smile

www.rabble.ca
Posted By: Bud Gills Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/08/12
It may very well seem over to some, but for those of us with tables at gun shows this weekend, we are required by law to jump thru the hoops and follow procedure in transferring firearm registrations same as usual.... at least until we are told otherwise.... really no big deal..
Posted By: BillR Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/08/12
Senate has simply debated other bills than C-19. Perhaps part of the problem is they don't start work until 2:00 PM four days a week.
The situation is that some feel that registration is truly dead and that they can now sell guns currently registered to themselves without transferring ownership.
The letter of the law has not changed.
Getting caught selling an unregistered long gun could cost you dearly in legal fees, confiscated property and a firearm prohibition.
The day is coming that the long gun registry will be officially dead and gone .... but that day isn't here yet.
BillR
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/09/12
Steve,

I think you are letting your hopes exceed your common sense.

Jim
Hopes exceeding my common sense? The bill is a done deal. Some of the people on this site - Rantz especially - need a good slap up side of the head. He's bringing everyone down. Keep your hand on your wallet. The touch is about to come.

What are you expecting? Some Liberal ghost MPs are going to appear in the air above the Commons floor that will magically reverse the CPC majority? Pierre Trudeau will return to the House and start casting spells? Do you honestly expect the rug will be pulled out at the last minute?

I can understand Rantz's need to post this stuff. He and his cronies have no reason to go on living once the legislation is reversed. But I'm surprised with the rest of you!

You can see the goal line and you're still thinking failure?
Posted By: Bud Gills Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/09/12
I cannot agree with that last statement regardless of what is currently happening with the registry.
If and when the Liberals and/or NDP should ever regain power (Heaven forbid ) we will need the support of organizations like the NFA, NRA, much more than we ever did...
You're free to disagree all you want. Fear mongering and defeatist talk got us in this mess to begin with.
Posted By: BillR Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/09/12
The Senate passed C-19 through second reading last night and it will now go to the committee stage.
BillR
Posted By: boarguy Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/09/12
You're free to disagree all you want. Fear mongering and defeatist talk got us in this mess to begin with.

WTF? Where's the harm in having a thread where we can track the progress of C19 ??? If it doesn't interest you, go write an e-book about it.

BillR- Thanks for the update. One step closer.
Posted By: kutenay Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/09/12
Originally Posted by bearguide

It's not history until Bill C19 comes into force. I'm always leery of any government action, including this one.
If you don't like reading about it, move on. I'm just posting some facts. wink

Agreed, the old law is still in effect until the new one is proclaimed and caution when dealing with LEOs on gun issues is the wisest alternative.
Posted By: shellriv Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/09/12
ITS NOT over till till its over
Posted By: n007 Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/09/12
I don't think anyone is denying that it will be over soon, but up until that time, you would be best to use prudence as your guide.
Your response is dispassionate and reasonable. There are others however that see conspiracies or the boogieman behind every rock.

Pierre Trudeau is not dead. He has been frozen and will be unthawed in the event the LGR is ever threatened with abolishment.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
Posted By: GlennKelley Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/12/12
Where did you get the Trudeau quote?

Glenn
Posted By: BillR Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/13/12
The Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee will be holding hearings on C-19 March 14/2012 (Wednesday) at 4:15. Scheduled to make a presentation are two men each speaking as individuals Roger Granger and Randall [bleep].
Mr. [bleep] is a retired police officer who has devoted several years of his life pointing out that the long gun registry is a total failure. The shooting community is very fortunate to have such dedicated individuals supporting the demise of the long gun registry.
The duration of these hearings is not known at this time.
BillR
Posted By: CanuckShooter Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/13/12
A formality and a waste of time....does anyone think for a second that the Conservative dominated Senate will NOT support the move to shut down the firearms registry?????

Posted By: wabigoon Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/13/12
It looks as though you gentlemen are just waiting to be able to say,"Ding Dong, the Wicked Witch is dead"!
Precisely. The patient has expired. BillR just likes to hear himself type. He should go and play with his friends at the Savage forum.
Posted By: Bud Gills Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/14/12
[quote=CanuckShooter]A formality and a waste of time....does anyone think for a second that the Conservative dominated Senate will NOT support the move to shut down the firearms registry?????

Yes, its all formalities and after all of the hearings it goes to the Govenor General for his approval, then its history.
Having spent the weekend selling long guns at a gun show I found it somewhat frustrating to have to work on transferring registrations for the last two days knowing that everything will be scrapped shortly.
I for one couldn't be happier that it will be gone....
Posted By: norm99 Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/17/12
so now its the 16 whats the update,,after all we need to know to CELEBRATE effectively grini,ll count my chicks when they have hatched ,,,hopefully any day

norm smile
Posted By: BillR Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/21/12
Sorry norm for the delay, would like to say I was helping catalogue an old savage collection which had been hidden away for years ... but I was really in sugarbush mode, absolutely a terrible year in Muskoka, we washed everything and put up buckets, then a week later took them down ... who would believe 25 C in Muskoka in March. We didn't make a drop of syrup.
Anyway, Senate has held two days and have scheduled two more days of hearings at end of March. The experts agree that the long gun registry will be gone anywhere from within three weeks from end of hearings to the end of June.
BillR
Posted By: norm99 Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/23/12
thats a long time to rehash and replay a forgone conclusion

i hope and pray

norm
Posted By: MikeReilly Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/30/12
I'm following this topic enthusiastically. I'm pretty sure there are some nice firearms out there somewhere I'll be able to acquire once it's abolished. Probably some old codger who never bothered or was too ornery to register...
Posted By: kutenay Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/30/12
I think that you will find that most guys who have really choice gun collections registered them before the deadline and now are waiting for a "boom" in demand due to the elimination of the LGR.

The point is that if you owned dozens of sporting firearms that ranged in value from $1500.00+ to $10K, would YOU "bury" them and not have them insured? I certainly would not and while there are a few "sleepers" left, such as the 99% Brno ZG-47 short barrled 7x57 with lovely wood and an orginal milled steel Brno QD one-piece mount with Lyman 3x scope that I scored not last autumn, the majority of fine, older guns are registered for the above reason.

Nobody, I know and I am acquainted with many of the serious and financially able gun enthusiasts in BC, was going to "hide" a dozen choice P-64 Mod. 70s or a cased pair of Churchill Premiers for example.

I hate the gun legislation in our rapidly declining nation as much or more than anyone and have NEVER voted "Lieberal" even when a new voter in the days of "Trudeaumania", but, I was not and am not about to bury my custom rifles or my drilling or any other guns....it is simply senseless.

That said, I do think that there will be a few, but, not more than that.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/30/12
Don't need a gun registry for that. My insurance company has all the serial numbers of my rifles and photos on file. What good is a registry when it is gone, which many knew would be buried.
Posted By: BillR Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/30/12
One step closer! Senate committee recommends C-19 without any amendments.
BillR

REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE
Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs has the honour to present its

TENTH REPORT

Your committee, to which was referred Bill C-19, An Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act, has, in obedience to the order of reference of Thursday, March 8, 2012, examined the said Bill and now reports the same without amendment.

Respectfully submitted,
John D. Wallace
Chair
Posted By: the_shootist Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/30/12
So where now? The Governor General??
Posted By: Portsider284 Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 03/30/12
3rd reading in the Red Chamber is scheduled for April 2.

Then off to the GG for royal assent.

After that I'm guessing some sort of coming into force period.

May 1 if it's lightning quick, July 1 if it drags.

The dates are my best guess BTW.
Posted By: bearbacker Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 04/20/12
So, is it done yet?
Posted By: Rog Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 04/20/12
Yup its a done deal
Posted By: bearbacker Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 04/20/12
So what will that mean for those of us (U.S.) who want to come up there and hunt in Canada?

It may be too soon to tell, but I'm still curious.
I'm not sure,we were discussing that on another thread.If you are planning on making more than one trip up here to hunt getting a PAL (possesion and aquisition license) would be a good idea.Probably save alot of hassle and form filling at the border.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: C-19 Senate Progress - 04/20/12
Rog, To chime in again,getting the PAL is not like falling off a log. If a drive of a few hundred miles is needed to take the test, that would be pricey. I was going to be in Canada on an ice fishing, seeing friends trip when I took the test. I do not know if the test could be taken another way. I'm thinking not. I challanged the test after online study, and studying the book after buying it. I do not know all the facts of the matter however. I'll watch, and learn.
True enough,even for a citizen finding some place to take the test can be difficult.In these small towns they are only offered about once a year
© 24hourcampfire